The Trump Card...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trump's Gag Order Hearing

The Trump legal team and prosecutors are in Judge Chutkan's court today arguing their cases for and against a Trump gag order. From the Twitter posts coming from reporters in the courtroom, it's not going well for Trump. The attorney arguing for Trump is John Lauro. It can't feel good for him when he tries to make a serious pro-Trump statement and the courtroom breaks out in laughter.

We'll have to wait to see how Judge Chutkan rules, but it is clear at this point that she's giving no slack to Trump's legal team. She's also cutting no slack for the prosecution, having expressed concerns that their proposed gag order is too broad.
download.jpeg

Reactions: coalminer and RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump is Gagged (Partially)

“First Amendment protections yield to the administration of justice and to the protection of witnesses,” Judge Tanya Chutkan said Monday as she issued the gag order. “His presidential candidacy does not give him carte blanche to vilify … public servants who are simply doing their job.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter

“First Amendment protections yield to the administration of justice and to the protection of witnesses,” Judge Tanya Chutkan said Monday as she issued the gag order. “His presidential candidacy does not give him carte blanche to vilify … public servants who are simply doing their job.”

It seems to me Trump got off easy. While a clear gag order was imposed on him, Judge Chutkan did not sanction him for previous violations of the terms of his release. In today's order, she only mentioned that she would consider sanctions for future violations.

If I was the judge, I would have fined Trump $1,000 for each previous violation and jailed him for 24 hours to let him know he must take the court's instructions seriously. As it is now, we'll wait for Trump to test the limits and see how the judge responds.

This is the third time in recent weeks that Trump has come under a limited gag order. There was this one today from Judge Chutkan. There was one before from Judge Engoron, and another one from Judge Wallace (CO 14th Amendment case). So far, he has abided by the Engoron and Wallace orders. But now that he is barred from disparaging Jack Smith, witnesses, and others, will he abide by that too?

Chutkan ruled from the bench today. A written order with more details will follow.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump to Appeal Gag Order

To no one's surprise, Trump announced he will appeal the gag order Judge Chutkan placed him under today. This is getting tiresome. He knows he's going to lose but he will appeal anyway. There will be no trial delay because Chutkan will not stay her order and the appeals court is unlikely to do so either. But he has to do something to keep MAGA believing in him. The moment he shows weakness or is shown to be weak, his support will begin to fade away.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

How would she know that they are simply doing their job? Is she in the office with them?

Last edited:
  • Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump Actually Said This

When speaking in Clive, Iowa today, Trump said,

"I am willing to go to jail if that’s what it takes for our country to win and become a democracy again.”

I'm glad to hear this. Putting Trump in jail will greatly aid democracy in America.

Last edited: