The Sinking Of The Titantic - FDCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Believe it or not Phil, even though I act like a goofy phart

Case in point with the Rv Hauling industry back in 2007. Sure, hauling RV's aint the greatest paying OTR gig out there, and I made 3 times the money running auto parts for 3PL companies, but I did it for the ease and the enjoyment of being out there OTR. in May of 2007 I invested $33,900 for a brand new '07 Dodge Cummins (stickered out at $45K), and another $5K for new 20ft Cargo Trailer to take over this "Auto Parts/Tire" route for this 3PL company I was contracting with for almost 4 1/2 years. That "route" did not work out, was not what was promised or covered in the contract, so after 3 weeks, I walked. Sold that trailer a week later for exactly what I paid for it, and got back into hauling RV's out of Indiana.

Signed on with a company, basically the "FedEx" company of the RV Transport companies about mid June of '07. Was on the road rest of June, July, and August. During this time, diesel prices were slowly climbing. I was watching the "writing on the wall" when it came to our FSC rates. The FSC would only go up a penny for every .15 - .20 cents a gallon rise in fuel. One week in September, diesel went a whole .40 cents a gallon that week, and our FSC went up just .02 cents. After several calls, not only to the company I was under contract with, but also other RV Transport companies, I had a bad feeling about what was going to happen with our rates due to the fact the Manufacurers were playing hardball with us contractors when it came to paying a fair FSC to keep up with rising diesel prices.

It all came to an end one day when I was filling up at that Flying J just south of Indianapolis. I paid $3.49 a gallon filling up my truck on a delivery I was running down to Beaumont Texas. I remember filling out my logbook after filling up and before hitting the road thinking to myself "Yep, Shats about to hit the fan and this WILL be my last run for a while". I took that trailer to Beaumont, headed home to the DFW area, deleased, and that was it. Second thing I did was put that $45K truck I paid $33.900 for just a few months earlier on EBay and sold it for $38,500.

WOW three months and a few days. Really gave that one a chance.
EHEHEHEHEH, Maybe the tittle of this thread should be" Hindenburg of RV FSC and me"

Now thats entertainment.

Oh, just and FYI, DR4426 is having a great year.
The best we have had in four years.

No life boat needed as of yet.
I just steer clear of the bergs and know it all land sharks.:D

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
To be clear, xmudman, there is one professional football team in New York.

And dabluzman, we're struggling just like you.:D

Monty

Expert Expediter
Y'all are posting stuff faster than I can read it ... I would only like to say,

I sure like it here at Landstar .... and btw, we have zero "C" trucks ....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've heard Landstar is a good company and has good rates.
But, I have also heard that it takes time to build relationships with the brokers and that they will use a contractor known to them before a newbie. (A form of preferential dispatch.)
I guess all companies have there good and bad points.
I also don't think the Titanic is sinking.
I have a feeling when man makes it to Mars there will be a Walmart there with a FedEx box out front.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
WOW three months and a few days. Really gave that one a chance.
EHEHEHEHEH, Maybe the tittle of this thread should be" Hindenburg of RV FSC and me"

Now thats entertainment.

?????

"Gave that one a chance???"

Looks as if you are trying to summarize my RV Hauling experience down to just "3 months and a few days", by way of assumption. Fact is, that "go around" was with the 3rd "RV Transporting" company I was under contract with in a 10 year time period. Also, since 1998 or so, I have been in other aspects within the trucking industry, with probably 85% of that being spent behind the wheel and OTR.

So, to correct your assumption above, I know very well what the operating costs were for the type of equipment I was using back in 2007 when diesel fuel started skyrocketing coming August/September of 2007. And was not that much of a fool to be running 1 way freight (RV Trailers) for $1.18-$1.24 a mile when diesel was costing $4.79 - $5.19 a gallon all over the US.

I gather you, or someone you know, is running RV's? If so, let me know how they faired back in 2007-2008-2009. It ought to be entertaining if you say they were doing just fine, cause I know for a fact that would just be blowing smoke up our rears here trying to cover the ignorant post you are being called out on above.

Ignorance on discussion boards is entertaining too, and for that, I Thank You for the entertainment.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I just found it entertaining that two dreamy millionaires are a little late in trying to save the ship. Still might be a little time left.

Last edited:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To be clear, xmudman, there is one professional football team in New York.

I count two. No, wait! You're right! Who would believe that tiny East Rutherford, New Jersey, pop. 8716, would have TWO NFL teams :eek:

:)

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I just found it entertaining that two dreamy millionaires are a little late in trying to save the ship. Still might be a little time left.

Who are the two dreamy millionaires?
What ship are they late trying to save?

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey, I am glad I can shed some levity on a boring topic.
But, let me expand your and a few other closed minds around here.
If you think Fedex is sinking you are too too funny.
A self made millionaire may like to trash his old carrier but if he couldnt cut he couldnt cut it.
As far as business goes, people bomb at Panther, Tri State, Bolt and every other Carrier EVERY DAY.
As of today we are sitting at 131K.
I'll take that averaging 11 runs per month.
I dont work hard or a lot.
If the ship is sinking today I am going down with it today.
Fortunately Fedex aint going anywhere, and so far the plans they are rolling out dont bother me.
Some take change much harder than others.
I've been around long enough to know how to roll with the punches.
If the changes become something so distasteful to me, I will leave for another carrier.
But, that is how business works.
Even the loudest voices in this site against Fedex have walked that line.
Here is a clue for you, whatever Fedex decides to do will impact ALL other Carriers.
If the other Carriers dont change and keep up they will go down.
Thats business as well.
No secret expediting has changed and is changing.
Everywhere.
Thanks for the entertainment.:D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't need to convince me. I still haul their freight.
But you better go save Phil before he gets his signs off the truck.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't need to convince me. I still haul their freight.
But you better go save Phil before he gets his signs off the truck.

No, Phil will do what is best for his situation.
I am not his savior or a defended of Fedex.
I can only state MY situation and act accordingly.
If the ones driving these crazy rumors were as busy as
us sinking drivers, they wouldnt have time to spread rumors
and then in a perverse way try justify them.
Maybe I am missing the point and this is a feeble attempt
at humor, let me correct that, I THINK YOU ARE ALL HILARIOUS.:D
I invite anyone to bring their books I'll bring mine and we can compare.
Maybe my eyes will be open and I will jump ship.
I will await PMs on the offer to compare books.
(I wont hold my breathe):cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have to disagree..if the Feds go down they go down alone...we don't need them...they DON'T even exist...they hide their operation and don't even acknowledge CC in the books....now even more obsolete being made Fedex Freight...

good riddance if CC goes for a dump....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.