The Sinking Of The Titantic - FDCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Quote: ATeam
"True enough, but you should also recall that there was no such thing as TVAL freight when Diane and I entered the business as drivers of fleet-owner straight trucks."

Sorry Phill, you may want to check your facts on the above statement. In at least '01-'02 they had Tval using the Road Warrior that was a 4 probe callibrated system that printed tapes. And from your own signature you started in '03

The TVAL I am talking about is the specific service our carrier began offering after we started with the company and that was prompted by specific regulatory changes introduced by the FDA. There may well have been four-probe equipment in trucks before Diane and I started with FedEx but that is not what I mean. I am talking about FedEx Custom Critical TVAL services. Thanks for the history lesson and giving me the opportunity to be more clear.

Quote: ATeam
If we remove the TVAL capabilities from our truck, the only noticable difference will be a new space in the dashboard where the datalogger used to sit. If we again start hauling TVAL freight, a new datalogger would go in that place.

Sorry again Phill, as I understand the non-tval units were the first to get the company owned data loggers. And they are also required to have them to remain in the fleet at FDCC. So essentially the only thing keeping you from non tval is the certification process.

I don't know what point you are trying to make or what your purpose is with your post. Without TVAL equipment in our truck, there can be no certification process since there is no equipment to certify. Nothing keeps us from TVAL. We are fully equipped and certified now. Drivers must also be certified and Diane and I are. That will end when we leave and may begin anew if we find a way to provide TVAL services again.

So too with "non tval" whatever you mean by that. If we want to haul non-TVAL freight, all we have to do is haul it. Having a datalogger in your truck does not make you a TVAL truck. There is more to it than that.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It does not matter if FDCC prospers or falls on its face because it intends to run a fleet with low paid, flat-rate drivers.
Really?

I would think that anything you would wish the best for the company you are still leased to, or is that too much of an assumption like the one that makes people believe that there will be the entire fleet made up of rejects and poor quality contractors because of rate that is comparable to the rest of the industry.

It does not matter if we are right and they are wrong about how the loss of fully-equipped straight trucks and quality teams to drive them will hurt the company.
It seems this is a bit arrogant to think that those type of losses are going to hurt the company when the company is so much bigger than that little blip on the radar screen in Memphis.

The TVAL I am talking about is the specific service our carrier began offering after we started with the company and that was prompted by specific regulatory changes introduced by the FDA. There may well have been four-probe equipment in trucks before Diane and I started with FedEx but that is not what I mean. I am talking about FedEx Custom Critical TVAL services. Thanks for the history lesson and giving me the opportunity to be more clear.

That was part of the GxP policies one of the FedEx customer's had and was changed when they harmonized the shipment policies for both their Development divisions and their manufacturing divisions. Until that point there were three policies in effect both divisions. This customer told FedEx they were to follow their policy or else they will not be their customer any more.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Not quite sure why Phil put one of his admirers on "ignore" but maybe from stress with all the changes.

I'm not the first he's looked down his nose at, and probably won't be his last either.

Like I said earlier, No Biggie. I'll still follow Phil. I'll still honor his advice, his insight, and his outlook when it comes to expediting issues. And of course, I'll still read his Blog at every update.

But, he also needs to understand that "No", he is not the guru when it comes to expediting as he believes he is. The guy just doesn't like to be questioned, or be given different point of views that conflict with what his beliefs and opinions are. This right here has happened more than once, and with other members, on this board many times in the past. So again, no biggie.

I'm just going to file this in the "so what" basket. Reminds of the "coughing" incident Lebron pulled against Dirk the day before Game 6 of the NBA finals.

Anybody seen or heard from Lebron much after the end of Game 6??? :D :D :D

"Watch what they do, not what they say".

When it comes to this issue discussed here, FDCC supplying their own trailers and hiring flat-rate contractors to pull them at lower rates than what these "Elitist" contractors have been making, this above could not have been said any better.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But Brisco, the one thing I have to point out as a fellow member of the club is that some don't want to take a chance to learn.

Being in their comfort zone, especially for so long, they tend to resist change and the positives of that change. Not saying Layout but others yes. They don't see the what opportunities can afford them with any changes.

Unlike others, I have been trying to get an idea of what it is like to do different things and tell others what can or can't work for me so they learn. I have yet to sit in a cab and say I understand when in fact I can't understand what its like to say do a few weeks of ltl freight or step in the shoes of a recruiter.

I guess a contention with me is I just don't see how success is built by being in a box and thinking the only thing that is important is that rate they offer.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Phil, I too am talking about FedEx CC T-Val services. Here is a bit more of a history lesson for you. Tempature validated (T-Val) started long before you started. Granted not to the full extent it is today but that is to be expected in any new arena of services. T-Val STARTED at FDCC using the Road Warrior, a much larger unit than what is used today. It was in fact so large that it was mounted on the wall in the sleeper of the truck, and the whole unit needed to be removed for callibration and certification. AND the drivers of the units equiped with the R/W were trained much the same as they are today. I believe what you are refering to is what was the NEXT level of T-Val and that is when they (FDCC) started the thermal mapping of the cargo area to further meet new regs put forth by the FDA.

Allow me to clarify what you didn't understand from my earlier post. By non-Tval I was not refering to your abillity to haul standard reefer freight. What I was apparently not clear and concise in getting across is this..... The ONLY difference between a T-Val and a Temp-assure truck is NOT the equipment you have on your dash and the probes in your box but the training you and your wife have and the regularity of your PM's and the thermal mapping your truck goes through. ALL temp-assure have the SAME equipment as a T-Val truck, temp-assure was the beta test for the new system long before any T-val units were retro fitted with FDCC data loggers. And as for there being "more to it than that" I am well aware that there is more to it than mearly what is contained here in. All anyone has to have is a good working relationship with a reefer dealer Thermo King or Carrier that is intimately familiar with FDCC's program and they will fill you right in on what and how the change over was handled.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil, I too am talking about FedEx CC T-Val services. Here is a bit more of a history lesson for you. Tempature validated (T-Val) started long before you started. Granted not to the full extent it is today but that is to be expected in any new arena of services. T-Val STARTED at FDCC using the Road Warrior, a much larger unit than what is used today. It was in fact so large that it was mounted on the wall in the sleeper of the truck, and the whole unit needed to be removed for callibration and certification. AND the drivers of the units equiped with the R/W were trained much the same as they are today. I believe what you are refering to is what was the NEXT level of T-Val and that is when they (FDCC) started the thermal mapping of the cargo area to further meet new regs put forth by the FDA.

OK. So, if you wish, we can talk about the different iterations of TVAL as it developed at FedEx Custom Critical. That is only tangential to the point I was making when I said that Diane and I prospered without TVAL freight before and can do so again. My point had to do more with our personal TVAL history than the company's. These days I am thinking more about our career than company history minutiae.

Allow me to clarify what you didn't understand from my earlier post. By non-Tval I was not refering to your abillity to haul standard reefer freight. What I was apparently not clear and concise in getting across is this..... The ONLY difference between a T-Val and a Temp-assure truck is NOT the equipment you have on your dash and the probes in your box but the training you and your wife have and the regularity of your PM's and the thermal mapping your truck goes through. ALL temp-assure have the SAME equipment as a T-Val truck, temp-assure was the beta test for the new system long before any T-val units were retro fitted with FDCC data loggers. And as for there being "more to it than that" I am well aware that there is more to it than mearly what is contained here in. All anyone has to have is a good working relationship with a reefer dealer Thermo King or Carrier that is intimately familiar with FDCC's program and they will fill you right in on what and how the change over was handled.

Fine. I defer to you as an expert in FedEx Custom Critical reefer history and speak as one less wise. I have other things to think about now but if I ever get around to writing a history of expediting, I'll contact you for more info.

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
bought my truck off the repo lot. I even met the team who was driving it for an owner, they were screwed.

Also, for the thought that "any one can do this" is somewhat true. It is also true that anyone can fail.
A look at repo lots over the last two years might mean something as well?. I am sure every repo truck had a driver that thought "this is easy" followed by a long story of how they were screwed.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I can start a new one if people would prefer, but I think its sort of related to this thread.

As a noobie to the industry, I get the feeling that the biggest problem with the industry isn't the companies but its the drivers staying in lousy situations and allowing themselves to be screwed.

Reading on other trucking forums, I read about people staying with a company for years and years and being screwed over the entire time and they end up losing their truck etc....

I don't understand why drivers stay with companies where they continually over stock their supply of drivers and only give out 1000 miles a week.

Why don't more drivers seek out better companies? Is it the love for being on the road, that they would rather lose money and be on the road than having a home and working a regular job where you don't lose money?

I just don't understand why people stay in losing situations. I would think that they would be better off trying 15 different companies than sticking with one losing one.

Sorry if I'm totally off base but I'm just trying to understand the industry.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
As I sit and read the multiple posts in this thread and others it gives me pause for thought.
I see that there has been a growing theme of disgruntlement building among many contractors and their given carrier for any number of reasons. I sympathize for all of those that are having difficulty coming to tearms with all of the changes that are happening within their carriers.

What I find odd is how freely and repeatedly people air their "dirty laundry" in an open forum. I understand that the intent may be information sharring to help your fellow driver, but as this all seems to have started as innocent venting please tell me how this has helped your fellow driver. ... Have any of you thought what concequences may come of that????

And when you couple that with name, truck number, and carrier it turns into a slippery slope to keep traction on. Do any of you think the ranting may be perpetuating the hard times you now find yourselves dealing with?

slacktide, this isn't directed at you, so I apologize in advance for speaking against what you are saying here, I understand and respect what you are saying about professionalism..

But back to the point of my previous post above. This is where I think drivers need to speak up and speak out. If their company isn't giving them miles or is giving them low pay miles, then they should speak up. If it doesn't change, then they should get out imo.

Yes I agree, go through the proper channels first but when that fails, you need to look out for #1 imo. The company is looking out for #1, them, you need to do the same.

Secondly, my question to the part in bold is,

if the company you are working for is making changes that results in you getting less miles or less dollar per mile, shouldn't that be the first sign to get out.

But more importantly, if they are going to punish you for speaking the truth and speaking up.

Let me ask you, is that honestly the type of company that YOU want to work for? Is that the type of company you would recommend for your family to go and work for? If so, I'm glad, I'm not your family.

Again, this isn't directed at you slacktide, I have no idea who you are, you probably have way more experience than me. I'm just a noob trying to understand the industry.

From what I see, the drivers as a whole need to stand up for themselves better.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As an outsider to all of this mess with FedEx many don't seem to get what's going on here, this is not a case where a common peeon surface truck is not getting the work but rather an elite team who has gotten to the point they expect the money to always be there and doesn't like that they are not getting their $16 for recording the temps as a customer requested or that the high paying work isn't as frequent as it "should" be.

Any degree of professionalism is out the window because there has been an ongoing point of contention that many feel every penny they can squeeze out of a customer is what they deserve and now that the customers are saying screw this we'll go somewhere else, it is now a shock to a few of them it has happened. The company has looked at different options, looked at the competition and made decisions that may or may not be to the liking of those who are in this elite group. I honestly think that any and all complaints will be met with the same response I got when I went to Memphis - your a contractor.

I had one of those "t-val" customers last year and got them because they were fed up with the attitude of the drivers and their obsessive "I need to call dispatch" crap for every little thing, especially the use of blankets. It was my first dedicated reefer work I did and when I was asked of what I would charge, I asked to see the invoice which they were happy to provide. I was surprised to read the invoice and what was detailed as charges. The customer wanted the stuff moved and wanted a record of what was done during the trip (door opening and closings, temp variations, etc) which I happily obliged them for free because I was already making $2.50 a mile on the load.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"I had one of those "t-val" customers last year and got them because they were fed up with the attitude of the drivers and their obsessive "I need to call dispatch" crap for every little thing, especially the use of blankets. It was my first dedicated reefer work I did and when I was asked of what I would charge, I asked to see the invoice which they were happy to provide. I was surprised to read the invoice and what was detailed as charges. The customer wanted the stuff moved and wanted a record of what was done during the trip (door opening and closings, temp variations, etc) which I happily obliged them for free because I was already making $2.50 a mile on the load."

I guess it all depends on who you talk too. I went into a TVAL load at a place that we had not been in quite a while not long ago.

When we walked in to take care of the delivery the guy behind the desk said, "Thank God, it's Custom Critical".

He then said, "I am tired of all the off brand trucks, they are dirty, the drivers are a mess and we have so many more problems with bad freight than we do with Custom Critical."

"Custom Critical costs more but we are more than willing to pay the difference for the type of service they provide"

We now are running in there far more often again. You might be able to provide good service but many out there are NOT doing so. I hear the other side of that coin you tossed all the time.

I heard similar the last time I was at CD in Atlanta.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
greg said:
As an outsider to all of this mess with FedEx many don't seem to get what's going on here, this is not a case where a common peeon surface truck is not getting the work but rather an elite team who has gotten to the point they expect the money to always be there and doesn't like that they are not getting their $16 for recording the temps as a customer requested or that the high paying work isn't as frequent as it "should" be.

Any degree of professionalism is out the window because there has been an ongoing point of contention that many feel every penny they can squeeze out of a customer is what they deserve and now that the customers are saying screw this we'll go somewhere else, it is now a shock to a few of them it has happened. The company has looked at different options, looked at the competition and made decisions that may or may not be to the liking of those who are in this elite group. I honestly think that any and all complaints will be met with the same response I got when I went to Memphis - your a contractor.

This all coming from a guy driving(?) a twelve year old "C" unit, who by your own admission will give away just about any service or labor, fuel surcharge, and detention time known to man. Give it a rest greg.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This all coming from a guy driving(?) a twelve year old "C" unit, who by your own admission will give away just about any service or labor, fuel surcharge, and detention time known to man. Give it a rest greg.

Yep coming from a guy who is driving a 12 year old truck and averaging $4.32 a mile - all miles.

I learned how to shed the mentality that holds many back. I also learned how to use what I have to make money without investing into more toys.

It isn't about giving service away but how to get and capture a customer - something that most don't do here but think they do.

Oh did I mention that I also do more than drive?

I guess I'm the failure, but I'm not the won crying about NOT making money that I think I deserve.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Yep coming from a guy who is driving a 12 year old truck and averaging $4.32 a mile - all miles.
Not being all that new to trucking that number means little, but you knew that didn't you. Now if you want to give meaning to that number kindly list miles per month, how many days per month, and any unusual equipment requirements. (I don't expect you to give the number because it's none of my business, but you brought it up)
I learned how to shed the mentality that holds many back.
Always an ambiguous type of answer when it comes to this type of conversation with you.
I also learned how to use what I have to make money without investing into more toys.
But aren't you the one that rags on Phil because he has a "C" truck, same size as yours?

It isn't about giving service away but how to get and capture a customer - something that most don't do here but think they do.
Yep, Give this away, don't charge for that, put their product on the pallet racks for them, break it down and count it and then put it on multiple skids for their delivery drivers, sure just good customer skills.

Oh did I mention that I also do more than drive?
Sure did, hundreds of times. Talking to and advising twenty or thirty CEO's of major corporations, test driving just about every car made (they drop them off if I remember right) reviewing most new electronic gadgets. My time is limited so I have left out your weekly conversations with most all of the nationalities of the world. (during breakfast, and lunch)

I guess I'm the failure
Don't know you only what you type.
but I'm not the won crying about NOT making money that I think I deserve.
No, well yes you do, your constant digging in Phil's fanny tells a different story.

MayfieldExp

Seasoned Expediter
Now, I don't post as much as my step Dad does and I'm new to posting on here. The Fedex ship has been sinking for a few years. My Mom and step Dad left Fedex for Panther and have done very well. Driving at both Fedex and Panther in a Cr unit, as a driver I made more money at Panther than at Fedex.

My step Dad had to learn the Panther way of doing things at 1st, but with the support they got from Panther they have almost doubled what they grossed at Fedex. My step Dad was a die hard Fedex guy that my Mom tried to get to leave Fedex for almost two years. When they did move the trucks to Panther, my step Dad said he wish he had done it sooner. Now as for me only driving for Fedex and Panther, I like Panther better.

I was in white glove at Fedex and Elite for Panther. Panther Elite has some of the people that once was at Fedex, plus Elite is fun to deal with and white glove was a bunch of people that was nasty to me every time I talked with them. Now most of you know my step Dad who sometimes can be a PITA, but he does know the business and calls other owners all the time with things or loads for other peoples trucks.

Phil, I have seen your truck out on the road a few times and I know your truck would do great at Panther. I drove our Cr unit at both Fedex and Panther. You can do just as good at Panther with your truck or even better. I feel bad for all the Fedex people and glad my Mom talked some sence into my step Dad about going to Panther. They just signed on a Dr unit with Panther last month because of the T-val department Tabitha Kemp is in charge of.

Good luck on your move Phil and Diana where ever you go.

Mark

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well there you have it, Mark.
if Favre can leave GreenBay, & dress up in purple,
then maybe the purple wardrobe in green is worthless anymore,
and anyone can sleep with the enemy for the right contract.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
I personally think Phil and Diane would look really good sportin' yellow and black. The door is open for you at Premium Transportation Logistics if you could handle a smaller company and less headaches. :)

HotFr8Recruiter
John

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
(A)nyone can sleep with the enemy for the right contract.

?

I agree that a driver should be loyal to the company that signs his or her check, but there are limits. Only my God and my wife get my unalterable fidelity. Just about any company out there looks after its own best interests with little thought to those of its workers; even stockholders don't really get noticed until they own more than 5% of outstanding shares.

As for Favre, I just laughed during the whole affair. I'm a diehard Philadelphia "Iggles" fan who lives with a girl who loves the black & gold of the "Stillers". Lots of sparks during football season, trust me :eek:

At the end of the day, this all proves the wisdom of Billie Holiday: "God bless the child that's got his own...."

Blood Sweat & Tears version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v96P_AXzto

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Glad to see that others who are actually out there behind the wheel at other carriers commenting on what the obvious was that I was trying to point out as an outsider standing on the sidelines.

While my ways of saying what's on my mind may not be to everyones liking, being deemed a "Troll" by a Corporate wanna be that has less experience behind the wheel of a truck than I do, was just not called for. And, that's why I decided this topic wasn't worth discussing any longer. Said what I had to say.......

Now for the Favre comparisons...............

Glad you guys didn't bring up Emmitt and the wearing of the Red and Gold in Arizona. If you had've, Well, this thread would have gone wayyyy off topic. :D :eek: :D

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm tempted to start a thread about mixed marriages like mine; I come from Philly while my beloved hails from Western Pennsylvania. There's been longstanding differences of opinion on just about any subject between folks on opposite sides of the Susquehanna, and I know the same dynamic exists between northern/southern Californians, downstate/upstate New Yorkers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.