The Sinking Of The Titantic - FDCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True enough, but you should also recall that there was no such thing as TVAL freight when Diane and I entered the business as drivers of fleet-owner straight trucks. We prospered without it before and can again.

It's not quite like buying equipment to haul wind generator blades. The only thing that makes a TVAL truck a TVAL truck is the datalogger, four temperature probes, trained drivers and documented maintenance.

If we remove the TVAL capabilities from our truck, the only noticable difference will be a new space in the dashboard where the datalogger used to sit. If we again start hauling TVAL freight, a new datalogger would go in that place.

There would also be lower maintanence costs and lower equipment leasing costs.

I have my old equipment at the house. It was mine to start with.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just because I'm not behind the wheel of a CV or ST, it doesn't mean I don't understand the industry at all. Hell, this type of work would be a breeze to me. (Possibly - Look Below;))
It may be a breeze, and you may understand the industry, but in order for either of those to really be true, you'll have to grasp the notion that having commercial insurance is not what makes your vehicle a CMV. <snort> :D

Turtle:
I'd almost bet I'd be quite successful right off the bat when it comes to Expediting.
Everybody who gets into expediting says that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Why are they called FDCC and not FECC? :confused:

I have seen it FDCC and FCC. FDCC has been seen written on some of the freight we haul since Diane and I were new in the business. That's where I picked it up. FCC is used by some in the office. I prefer FDCC so as not to confuse the acronym with the FCC government agency.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Brisco and others have referred to "company owned equipment" in this thread. Could someone who is actually leased to FECC expand on this for me?

FDCC is buying (not leasing) 53' reefer trailers and equipping them to haul TVAL freight. Last I heard from people in the office who know, they are building a TVAL company-owned trailer fleet of 40 trailers. These trailers are being pulled by contractor-owned tractors. Those contractors are paid a flat rate per mile to pull the trailers.

Lucrative TVAL freight that used to be hauled by percentage-paid contractors is now being preferentially dispatched to the company-owned equipment, because, as someone in contractor relations said, "We have to keep those flat-rate trucks running to pay for the trailers."

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Phil. I can see T/T becoming more popular with expedited carriers, especially if recruiting and retaining teams becomes a problem.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thanks Phil. I can see T/T becoming more popular with expedited carriers, especially if recruiting and retaining teams becomes a problem.

They want teams in those flat rate tractors, not solos. Much of the TVAL freight has security protocols attached and requires a team in the truck.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a nasty circle out there Moot. As they cut the pay for trucks like ours it will be even harder to attract good teams.

There are many more problems with the entire idea. They will come to light as time passes.

As I said, the "bean counters" see only what is in front of them. Those of us out here know what many customers are saying. The two don't add up.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot, this isn't a new thing, just a panic discovery for some who haven't heard about supply chain and how they operate which is tval trailers hauled by contractors and have been for a while.

About the management thing, this is internal to the company, the expectations are not the same as the stock holders and the performance within a given group is the metric that is used to justify the group. IF CC doesn't meet the expectations of the parent company, and they don't see an expansion in market share, then CC can be folded into freight and no one in Memphis would care.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Panic? I don't thinks so.

The chickens will come home to roost sooner or later. You don't attract the highest quality anything with lower quality pay. That model as never worked. You really do get what you pay for.

Pay everyday, or lower rates, that is exactly who you are going to attract. There are a LOT of customer out there who don't want low end, lower quality drivers/equipment.

I will cover that freight, with FDCC, or who ever picks it up when they leave FDCC, and they will. I will cover it if I have to start my own carrier. High end equipment, high end service and they will pay it. They always do.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Quote: ATeam
"True enough, but you should also recall that there was no such thing as TVAL freight when Diane and I entered the business as drivers of fleet-owner straight trucks."

Sorry Phill, you may want to check your facts on the above statement. In at least '01-'02 they had Tval using the Road Warrior that was a 4 probe callibrated system that printed tapes. And from your own signature you started in '03

Quote: ATeam
If we remove the TVAL capabilities from our truck, the only noticable difference will be a new space in the dashboard where the datalogger used to sit. If we again start hauling TVAL freight, a new datalogger would go in that place.

Sorry again Phill, as I understand the non-tval units were the first to get the company owned data loggers. And they are also required to have them to remain in the fleet at FDCC. So essentially the only thing keeping you from non tval is the certification process.

moose

Veteran Expediter
They want teams in those flat rate tractors, not solos. Much of the TVAL freight has security protocols attached and requires a team in the truck.
Yh's and mach of that freight have a strong competitions by traditional trucking carriers hoe can easily provide such services.
at the rate FXCC pay it's teams they will soon be contracting the trucking industry leftovers.
Ever wondered why we only have a handful of Expedite TT drivers in this community ?...at best...(i did, and i know why)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got to tell all of you, this is too funny to read all of it. Another one for the archives.

Yes Layout it is a panic thing, just read Phil's posts for the last two months - he is panicking and stirring up others as if this was some sort of new revelation about what's going on - just the title of that thread in the FedEx forum is hilarious. It seems this thread is aptly titled too because it sounds like Phil is speaking about the ship is going down fast from his point of view perched high atop the topgallant mast.

The company - FedEx - has always had owned their own equipment and used it to service their customers, they also have had temperature validated trailers to haul pharma stuff for their supply chain division and had security protocols in place for those loads.

But recruiting won't be a problem, they seem to think that the brand will carry them and it has for a while, look at how many are predisposed to jumping into a new C unit to make the big bucks with the 'bestest carrier this side of UPS' Their model seems to work for express where you are paid by the package and so has the model for ground. Maybe they don't want to deal with the high maintenance people any more and want to move to having the freight moved without the hoopla that many make it out as.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got to tell all of you, this is too funny to read all of it. Another one for the archives.

Yes Layout it is a panic thing, just read Phil's posts for the last two months - he is panicking and stirring up others as if this was some sort of new revelation about what's going on - just the title of that thread in the FedEx forum is hilarious. It seems this thread is aptly titled too because it sounds like Phil is speaking about the ship is going down fast from his point of view perched high atop the topgallant mast.

The company - FedEx - has always had owned their own equipment and used it to service their customers, they also have had temperature validated trailers to haul pharma stuff for their supply chain division and had security protocols in place for those loads.

But recruiting won't be a problem, they seem to think that the brand will carry them and it has for a while, look at how many are predisposed to jumping into a new C unit to make the big bucks with the 'bestest carrier this side of UPS' Their model seems to work for express where you are paid by the package and so has the model for ground. Maybe they don't want to deal with the high maintenance people any more and want to move to having the freight moved without the hoopla that many make it out as.

OK, you believe what you want. I see it different. You are not changing my mind, nor I yours.

We see things different. No need to go into it. I see short term profit taking. Just how I see it. Not that it matters. No one there gives a flip what I think or see.

Recruiting won't be a problem, for a while at least. I have, however, seen a few more "dud" creeping into the ranks. Nothing like a filthy truck, team and a friendly "butt smile" while picking up at a billionaires home to show how great the brand is. Supply chain does not do that kind of work. Neither will low paid teams, not for long anyway.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not quite sure why Phil put one of his admirers on "ignore" but maybe from stress with all the changes. They are certainly changing their business model and I hardly think one has to be leased there to see it. It has been taking shape for some time.
As for a "sinking Titanic". Not so sure. There is still quite a few options and opportunities out there.

The purpose or value of a thread like this is for someone new to have a basic understanding of what is going on.
With what information is currently available in this post from Fedex drivers, who in their right mind would want to invest in a 200k plus truck? Even with purple pom-poms and rose colored glasses, it would at least give pause for thought.

I read some feel they should be notified as to what the company's direction is going to be.
Won't happen as they have nothing to gain by doing it.
No information is to their benefit as a slower progression is easier to monitor and make adjustments.
And of course, would you really believe them anyway?

"Watch what they do, not what they say".

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not quite sure why Phil put one of his admirers on "ignore" but maybe from stress with all the changes. They are certainly changing their business model and I hardly think one has to be leased there to see it. It has been taking shape for some time.
As for a "sinking Titanic". Not so sure. There is still quite a few options and opportunities out there.

The purpose or value of a thread like this is for someone new to have a basic understanding of what is going on.
With what information is currently available in this post from Fedex drivers, who in their right mind would want to invest in a 200k plus truck? Even with purple pom-poms and rose colored glasses, it would at least give pause for thought.

I read some feel they should be notified as to what the company's direction is going to be.
Won't happen as they have nothing to gain by doing it.
No information is to their benefit as a slower progression is easier to monitor and make adjustments.
And of course, would you really believe them anyway?

"Watch what they do, not what they say".

The ONLY thing that a company has to gain by keeping everyone up on what is going on is a honest reputation. If that is NOT important, well, that speaks volumes in itself.

I have seen it all before. As I said, Cabela's did the same thing and their quality is dropping like a rock. They are a shell of what they were when the brother's owned it. They are losing market share and the skill level of the employees is going down. Many more are leaving.

I won't go beyond that.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In their eyes, maybe not volunteering information is not viewed as a act of dishonesty? Don't know.

Also, for the thought that "any one can do this" is somewhat true. It is also true that anyone can fail.
A look at repo lots over the last two years might mean something as well?. I am sure every repo truck had a driver that thought "this is easy" followed by a long story of how they were screwed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In their eyes, maybe not volunteering information is not viewed as a act of dishonesty? Don't know.

Also, for the thought that "any one can do this" is somewhat true. It is also true that anyone can fail.
A look at repo lots over the last two years might mean something as well?. I am sure every repo truck had a driver that thought "this is easy" followed by a long story of how they were screwed.

It is not in their eyes that matters. It is in the eyes of those who observe them. There is a thing known as lying by omission.

I bought my truck off the repo lot. I even met the team who was driving it for an owner, they were screwed.

If I fail because I was in idiot, that is OK. If I fail because I made decisions based on inaccurate or incomplete information, it is NOT OK.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is not in their eyes that matters. It is in the eyes of those who observe them. There is a thing known as lying by omission.

I bought my truck off the repo lot. I even met the team who was driving it for an owner, they were screwed.

If I fail because I was in idiot, that is OK. If I fail because I made decisions based on inaccurate or incomplete information, it is NOT OK.

I understand your point and it is a tough situation. Your reason is exactly why I post about these types of changes.
It is always easier to make changes when appropriate verses doing them under duress.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The chickens will come home to roost sooner or later. You don't attract the highest quality anything with lower quality pay. That model as never worked. You really do get what you pay for.

Pay everyday, or lower rates, that is exactly who you are going to attract.

I am hearing this theme from almost every contractor I talk to who is disappointed (sad, mad, insert other emotions here) with FDCC's change of dirction. While I do not disagree one bit, I also try to stay focused on the task at hand, which is Diane's and my career.

It does not matter if FDCC prospers or falls on its face because it intends to run a fleet with low paid, flat-rate drivers. It does not matter if we are right and they are wrong about how the loss of fully-equipped straight trucks and quality teams to drive them will hurt the company. It may be satisfying to be proven right about this over time but focusing on that does nothing to help us feel better today or move our career along. I don't want to be right about FedEx. I want to be right about our next career move so I am focusing on that.

Diane and I had a great run with this company. The discomfort of the present days will pass soon after we leave and the pleasant memories will remain; as will the friends we made, the experience we gained, the truck we built and money we banked in those eight great years.

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that's the right (and only) way to look at it. Worrying about how a company conducts business is simply an exercise in futility.

Status
Not open for further replies.