The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
California Secretary of State Keeps Trump on CA Primary Ballot

She said, "California’s Elections Code provides the foundation for resolution of ballot challenges, ... by our courts.”

At present, no court challenges are live in California. A challenge filed earlier was voluntarily dismissed by the plaintiff (Castro, an obscure candidate whose obscure court challenges in several states have gone nowhere).

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trump has a snowballs chance in you know where to win California so there is no point wasting their time trying to keep him off of the ballot there.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Im for lower grocery store prices,,never gonna happen, lower gas prices ,never gonna happen, lower interest rates,,it may be years away...... average car payments is 600 a month, legal stealing at our department stores by crowd stealing,... 9000 a month or is it 9000 illegals a day coming here,, if u haven't notice America is changing and it will not be long till your hometown demographics is changing fast....look around ........................................

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Im for lower grocery store prices,,never gonna happen, lower gas prices ,never gonna happen, lower interest rates,,it may be years away...... average car payments is 600 a month, legal stealing at our department stores by crowd stealing,... 9000 a month or is it 9000 illegals a day coming here,, if u haven't notice America is changing and it will not be long till your hometown demographics is changing fast....look around ........................................
They said that was a good thing too.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
average car payments is 600 a month,
I'm old enough to remember being shocked when I saw window sticker price on a new Chevrolet Impala topped $2,000. I was about 12 then. In 1974, I paid cash for a brand-new, bright red, Pontiac Firebird; $5,100. I LOVED that car and ran it 10 years. They don't make that car any more. The comparable car is the Chevrolet Camero, the price for which starts at $30,000 today.

1703860529733.png

All baby boomers can fondly remember nickle candy bars, $0.30/gal. gas, three-cent postage stamps, etc.

Inflation is a constant in the US economy. The rate of change varies from year to year but inflation is built into the system. It's how rich people get richer. They borrow dollars at their present value, invest them in performing assets, and repay the loans with dollars that are worth less (have less purchasing power).
if u haven't notice America is changing and it will not be long till your hometown demographics is changing fast....look around ........................................
I'm glad you have noticed. This is a fact of life in America and the sooner people realize that, and learn to live with it, the less stressed they will be. Several states are "majority minority" states, and more are coming soon.

There is no stopping this trend. You could permanently seal off the entire country from new immigrants of all kinds. Birth rates of natural-born US citizens will continue the trend toward a majority minority country. The days of white majority rule are coming to an end.

Per Chat GPT:

"The term 'majority-minority' refers to a demographic situation in which the combined population of ethnic, racial, or cultural groups traditionally considered as minorities surpasses the population of the dominant or majority group. In other words, a majority-minority state or region is one where no single group constitutes more than half of the total population."

Per Google Bard:
  • Seven states are currently considered majority-minority: Hawaii, New Mexico, California, Texas, Nevada, Maryland, and Georgia (if you count Hispanic Whites separately from Non-Hispanic Whites).
  • Eleven other states are approaching majority-minority status: Arizona, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alaska, Illinois, Delaware, Virginia, Florida, New Jersey, New York, and Georgia (if you keep Hispanic and Non-Hispanic Whites combined).

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How much lower do you want gas to go? I did some research and in 1990 the average price of gas was 1.16, when factoring in inflation, that would cost 3.59 a gallon today. I dont know what gas is where you are, but its around 3.00 a gallon here in Florida. If gas prices go down far enough, it would cost jobs in the oil/refining industry.

Inflation in itself is caused by greed, when corporations are forced to pay higher wages, the people at the top will raise prices to make sure they get theirs.

I used to think raising the minimum wage was a good thing, but after seeing what is going on the people at the bottom who they are trying to help ends up being worse off, may make more money but the prices climb higher than their wages.

Reactions: skyraider

ATeam

Retired Expediter
“Peacefully and patriotically”
"

In his January 6th speech, Donald Trump said the word "peacefully" zero times and said the word "fight" or "fighting" twenty times. While he did mention marching to the Capitol "patriotically" once, the overall tone and content of his speech, with its repeated emphasis on fighting and taking back the country, has been a central point of contention in the discussions surrounding his role in the events of that day." (Google Bard)

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I understand it, and as RLNT correctly states, the Main Secretary of State is a constitutional officer bound by state law. When voters file with her office a challenge to the ballot eligibility of a candidate, she is required by law to conduct an administrative hearing and make a ruling. She did not initiate this action. A group of voters did when they filed their complaint against Trump's eligibility.

Once the administrative hearing began, she heard both sides and said she would announce her decision. Before she announced, the Colorado Supreme Court made its ruling that Trump is disqualified by the 14th Amendment from holding the office of president. When that news broke, the Maine Secretary of State delayed her announcement, and gave both sides additional time to review the Colorado ruling submit additional filings if they wished. She then further considered the testimony and evidence, and made the finding she did.

The Maine Secretary of State is not a judge and this was not a trial in a court of law. She is a state constitutional officer who conducted the administrative hearing Maine law required her to conduct.

Regarding the "unilaterally" part, Maine law vests this decision solely in the Secretary of State. That's just the way it is. The law also provides an appeal process, such that the secretary's decision can be appealed to the state supreme court, which will certainly happen.

The election laws differ from state to state. In Maine, challenges to candidate eligibility begin with voter actions filed with the Secretary of State. From there they can be appealed to court. Colorado is different. In that state, the process for a challenge begins in court and the Secretary of State implements the decisions of the courts. In Maine too, the secretary will implement the decisions of the courts, so the end result will be the same. It's just that in these two states, different paths will be followed to arrive at the same result.

Regarding the finding made by the Maine Secretary of State, it was hers to make. Those who disagree with it have the right to appeal and argue for its reversal.

I would be surprised if any red state did such a thing. Biden is qualified to be president because he is over 35, is a natural born US citizen, and there is no evidence that he engaged in insurrection.

It is important to note that the 14th Amendment does not require someone to be CONVICTED of insurrection to be disqualified from holding the office of president. The exact language of the Constitution is "engaged in insurrection." The Colorado district court found Trump engaged in insurrection. The Colorado Supreme court upheld that finding. And now the Maine Secretary of State also so found.

The practical effect of all this is the US Supreme Court will likely take up this question soon. On that, it seems all parties are agreed. They want this question to be heard and finally resolved by the US Supreme Court. Whatever the US Supreme Court ruling may be, it will end all lower court and administrative proceedings and apply the same in all states.
Thanks Phil, for the detailed explanation of the events in Maine, as opposed to the nonsense presented from others.

Reactions: RLENT and ATeam

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Inflation in itself is caused by greed, when corporations are forced to pay higher wages, the people at the top will raise prices to make sure they get theirs.

I used to think raising the minimum wage was a good thing, but after seeing what is going on the people at the bottom who they are trying to help ends up being worse off, may make more money but the prices climb higher than their wages.
Another thing to keep in mind is the growing economic divide. More and more of the world's wealth is controlled by fewer and fewer people. Trump accelerated this in the US with his so-called tax cut. The tax burden on wealthy people like himself declined for the benefit of the rich. The middle class is shrinking. The American dream of working hard and building wealth is increasingly unavailable to people today. It is still available, but it's not the automatic pilot thing it was for ordinary working people of years ago.

My father was the single breadwinner in our traditional household. With one income he supported our entire family and the company he committed his working life to took care of him in retirement. If there are any companies that pay that well today and provide such benefits, they are few and far between.

It troubles me deeply each time I hear someone say they live "paycheck to paycheck." They make it sound like a helpless and hopeless situation. I was raised to believe in the American dream and meritocracy. And there are enough success stories still out there to support my belief that a person of ordinary ability can work hard and grow wealthy over the years. But to do that, they must understand how money works, and that actual work and thought will be required to get you where you want to be.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another thing to keep in mind is the growing economic divide. More and more of the world's wealth is controlled by fewer and fewer people. Trump accelerated this in the US with his so-called tax cut. The tax burden on wealthy people like himself declined for the benefit of the rich. The middle class is shrinking. The American dream of working hard and building wealth is increasingly unavailable to people today. It is still available, but it's not the automatic pilot thing it was for ordinary working people of years ago.

My father was the single breadwinner in our traditional household. With one income he supported our entire family and the company he committed his working life to took care of him in retirement. If there are any companies that pay that well today and provide such benefits, they are few and far between.

It troubles me deeply each time I hear someone say they live "paycheck to paycheck." They make it sound like a helpless and hopeless situation. I was raised to believe in the American dream and meritocracy. And there are enough success stories still out there to support my belief that a person of ordinary ability can work hard and grow wealthy over the years. But to do that, they must understand how money works, and that actual work and thought will be required to get you where you want to be.
Exactly, the concentration of wealth continues......

As more and more of the profits of companies go to the people at the top. the workers will have to settle for less, that is how greed works.

Our country was built on prosperity, but there is a point at which prosperity becomes greed and unfortunately that line is crossed way too often.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Exactly, the concentration of wealth continues......

As more and more of the profits of companies go to the people at the top. the workers will have to settle for less, that is how greed works.

Our country was built on prosperity, but there is a point at which prosperity becomes greed and unfortunately that line is crossed way too often.
I'm not sure about condemning greed. I'm greedy. No matter how much money I have, I always want more. Almost everyone I know, from all economic classes, will say the same thing. Trump, who loves being rich, wants more money for himself, his campaign and his legal expenses. Catholic monks who take vows of poverty want more money for their monasteries and missions.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"

In his January 6th speech, Donald Trump said the word "peacefully" zero times and said the word "fight" or "fighting" twenty times. While he did mention marching to the Capitol "patriotically" once, the overall tone and content of his speech, with its repeated emphasis on fighting and taking back the country, has been a central point of contention in the discussions surrounding his role in the events of that day." (Google Bard)
Maybe less reliance on Bard might help.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe a greater reliance on the truth will help. In that spirit, I went to a transcript of the speech itself. If you care to do the work, you will see Trump used the words/phrase "peacefully and patriotically" just one time. He used the word "fight," "fights," or "fighting" 20 times.
Also, the word “fight” is a rhetorical word that politicians use all the time. You know that, right?

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
He said the word peacefully in his speech. And used the word peace multiple times that day.
And he used the word "fight" 20 times in the speech, an unknown number of times through the rest of the day, and he intentionally incited this insurrection, two courts found. Your nitpicking about word count is meaningless. Or if it means something, the word count means Trump used his fighting words to incite insurrection.