The Trump Card...

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be Careful What You Ask For

Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Florida) has formally asked Palm Beach County to tax Mar-a-Lago at rate Trump claims it's worth. Trump has claimed it's worth 50-100 times its appraisal value, up to $1.5 billion.

Copy of Letter
Would this mean that ALL the residents of Palm Beach county would have to pay property taxes based on market value instead of tax appraised value? Anyone who owns a house knows there's a big difference.

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump Voluntarily Dismisses the Lawsuit He Brought Against Michael Cohen

It's noteworthy that Trump pulled his lawsuit against Cohen just before Trump was due to be placed under oath and deposed by Cohen. Cohen would have had his way with Trump the entire time.

(Watch for Trump's "Never Surrender" T-shirts to sell for 1/2 off soon)

What's next? Watch for Cohen to demand massive sanctions against Trump for filing this frivolous lawsuit.

Cohen's statement:

"Great news out of the Southern District of Florida tonight: Rather than be deposed by Danya Perry on Monday, Donald J. Trump voluntarily dismissed his $500 million lawsuit against our client Michael Cohen. From: Michael Cohen: As I have said from the beginning: this case was nothing more than a retaliatory intimidation tactic, and his attempt to hide from routine discovery procedures confirms as much. Mr. Trump's cowardly dismissal spells the end of this latest attempt to deter me from providing truthful testimony against him. My legal team and I now look forward to turning our full attention to holding Mr. Trump accountable for his latest abuse of the legal system. More to come."
-----------------------------------------------------
1696559731070.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Would this mean that ALL the residents of Palm Beach county would have to pay property taxes based on market value instead of tax appraised value? Anyone who owns a house knows there's a big difference.
No, this does not mean "that ALL the residents of Palm Beach county would have to pay property taxes based on market value." It means that Mar-a-Lago is either wildly under-taxed by the county or wildly overvalued by Trump.

Trump is on record saying Mar-a-Lago market value is $1.8 billion. According to the tax assessor's office the appraised value is $18 million.

Per Google Bard,

The ratio of the appraised value of property to the market value in Palm Beach County, FL is approximately 90%. This means that the appraised value of a property is typically 90% of the price at which it would sell in the open market.

There are a few reasons for this. First, the Palm Beach County Property Appraiser's Office uses a variety of methods to appraise properties, including the sales comparison approach, the cost approach, and the income approach. These methods are designed to estimate the fair market value of a property, but they are not perfect.

Second, the property market in Palm Beach County is very competitive. This means that properties often sell for more than their appraised value.

Finally, the Palm Beach County Property Appraiser's Office is required by law to cap the annual increase in the assessed value of homestead properties at 3%. This can lead to situations where the appraised value of a property is significantly lower than its market value.

If Trump's market value claim is accurate, the appraised value should be somewhere around $1.62 billion ($1.8 billion x .9 = $1.62 billion), and taxes should be paid on that amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is meaningless; incorrect arguments after the fact. The judge has already read the briefs and had hearings on this. He ruled last week that Trump et al committed massive fraud over many years. He ruled that Trump is liable for fraud. The trial now underway is to address the remaining six counts of the AG's lawsuit, which focus mostly on the punishments for the fraud committed.

Trump has appealed the ruling. The arguments you cite may be made again to the appellate court. But they did not work the first time. I don't think they will work any better the second time. The court venue changed when the appeal was made. The law and the facts did not change.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Inappropriate
I agree. It's not illegal. The info she is posting is the info she charged in the lawsuit. But it helps nothing for her to post on Twitter (X) like this.

Trump's posts are also unhelpful to the administration of justice.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree. It's not illegal. The info she is posting is the info she charged in the lawsuit. But it helps nothing for her to post on Twitter (X) like this.

Trump's posts are also unhelpful to the administration of justice.
It doesn't matter. Except it will help him gain support and voters.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT