The Trump Card...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reporters need time to make sure their story is accurate. They can't just be lazy and put on a story like CNN's Erin Burnett did about Trump's 40 wall street building on 9/11 without due diligence.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Always on Friday. A lot of the “news” reporters leave early for the weekend. But keep spinning.
How many newsrooms have you physically been in? How many reporters have you personally known and interacted with on a regular basis? How many hours have you spent with reporters as they gather at events and prepare to do their work?

I have done a bunch of that. Newsrooms do not close down on the weekends. The top-name reporters tend to work during prime time, but a simple view of any cable TV station will show reporters on the job 24/7. A simple drive by any newspaper building will show the lights on on nights and weekends. Reporters are human beings who need their sleep and off time. But the news gathering is perpetual. The major news outlets are on duty 24/7.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many newsrooms have you physically been in? How many reporters have you personally known and interacted with on a regular basis? How many hours have you spent with reporters as they gather at events and prepare to do their work?

I have done a bunch of that. Newsrooms do not close down on the weekends. The top-name reporters tend to work during prime time, but a simple view of any cable TV station will show reporters on the job 24/7. A simple drive by any newspaper building will show the lights on on nights and weekends. Reporters are human beings who need their sleep and off time. But the news gathering is perpetual. The major news outlets are on duty 24/7.
Reference to reporters in DC mostly. Politicians and a lot of News personnel leave town early Friday.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Fake Electors Lose Their Bid for Federal Court

That finishes it. None of the defendants in the GA RICO case who sought to move their cases to federal court succeeded. Today, a federal judge denied that move made by the last of them. All defendants will be tried in state court.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Gag Order Hearing Set for Oct. 16

Judge Chutkan today set Oct. 16 as the date to hear arguments regarding a partial gag order for Trump.

Reactions: Ragman

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reference to reporters in DC mostly. Politicians and a lot of News personnel leave town early Friday.
Here is more on that.

IMG_4719.jpeg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Apparently he succeeded in using it to put off his previously scheduled deposition in his suit against his former attorney Michael Cohen.

But he only managed to delay that for 6 days.

Gives him a little more time to come up with another excuse.

;)
I'm asking why because I don't know. The theory you offer is plausible.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with panic. By canceling Trump's NY business certificates, Judge Engoron recently sentenced Trump's New York businesses to death. I'm wondering if Trump is deeply worried about this and he's going to sit in the courtroom to somehow keep his attorneys from making things worse.

I'm also wondering if Trump may be going to court to intimate the judge with his presence. If he is, I think he's barking up the wrong tree. In court, the defendant does not look down on the judge. The judge looks down on the defendant. In court, the judge does not rise when the defendant walks in the room, everyone rises when the judge walks in. In court, the defendant does not get to speak when he wants to. He speaks only when the judge permits it. And in court, if the judge and the defendant do not like what each are saying, it's not the defendant who has the power to place the judge in handcuffs. That power belongs to the judge.

A seasoned judge had has all kinds of evil, belligerent and poorly behaved people in his courtroom; and a number of big names too. He is unlikely to be intimidated by yet another big name in a suit. If Judge Engoron was easily intimidated, he would not have found Trump liable for fraud and he would not have canceled Trump's business certificates, which cancels Trump's ability to do business in New York.

Again, I don't know why Trump will spend next week in Engoron's courtroom when he does not have to. These are just thoughts that come to mind. I'm interested in hearing all other theories on this.

Also, I'm not sure his attorneys will be all that happy to have Trump sitting by their side in court all next week. How much might Trump try to direct their words and deeds in the courtroom? Will he trust them to do their jobs, or will he be his attorney's micromanaging nightmare? Will he sit quietly as he hears a whole lot he does not wish to hear? Or will he lose it and speak up when he is not permitted to do so? Will he support his attorneys as they do their best to represent him? Or will he lose his temper and rip them to shreds like he does his social media targets?

It will be very interesting to see how defendant Trump behaves in court next week.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
News organizations in DC are on duty 24/7 too; and because DC is one of the more important media markets, they are more fully staffed than newsrooms in less important markets.

As I type this, it is 11:03 Eastern Time. I can tell you for a fact that at this moment, dozens if not hundreds of reporters are working the DC late-night meetings, social parties and bars to cultivate their sources and uncover whatever news they can unearth. I know this because I have attended such events and seen reporters doing this. At this moment, reporters are very busy in the Capitol, interviewing everyone they can to gain information about the impending government shutdown.

When the news makers are awake, the reporters are awake. Where the news makers go, the reporters go. When the elected officials fly home for the weekend, reporters are at the airports trying to get their comments. When they are home, reporters contact them there for the same reason.

If news breaks, there is an immediate hot race to be the first reporter to put it on the wire and the first news organization to make it public.

Your notion of how the media works is misinformed.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
News organizations in DC are on duty 24/7 too; and because DC is one of the more important media markets, they are more fully staffed than newsrooms in less important markets.

As I type this, it is 11:03 Eastern Time. I can tell you for a fact that dozens if not hundreds of reporters are working the DC late night meetings, social parties and bars to cultivate their sources and uncover whatever news they can unearth. I know this because I have attended such events and seen reporters doing this. At this moment, reporters are very busy in the Capitol, interviewing everyone they can to gain information about the impending government shutdown.

When the news makers are awake, the reporters are awake. Where the news makers go, the reporters go. When the elected officials fly home for the weekend, reporters are at the airports trying to get their comments. When they are home, reporters contact them there for the same reason.

If news breaks, there is an immediate hot race to be the first reporter to put it on the wire and the first news organization to make it public.

Your notion of how the media works is misinformed.
That was from a news reporter. I’m not sure why it’s such a difficult concept to accept. Both sides politically admit that it is done. It may not have the same effect as 20 or 30 years ago, but it’s still done to blunt the effect and exposure to an “unpleasant” story. Like a lot of businesses on the weekend, the B team is on duty.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
He'll turn it into a campaign event. NYC is the media center of the world.
That too is a plausible theory. And a good one.

Trump can have impromptu press conferences at the lunch hour and at the end of the business day. In so doing, he could dominate the news cycle for an entire week. That would keep his Republican primary rivals off the air and out of people's minds. I would give him free reign to blast the proceedings and undermine the court and judge in the public eye. It would be a good fundraising boost too.

That does not mean such antics will go unanswered. It does not mean control of Trump's NY businesses will be not be handed over to a trustee when the 30-day business certificate grace period expires. But your theory very much aligns with Trump's past behavior.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Conflicting Reports About Trump's Trial Attendance Plans

The information that surfaced yesterday indicating that Trump plans to attend the first five days of his New York fraud trial has become clouded by a statement Trump more-recently made.

"The document in the Cohen case indicates Trump made the decision [to attend the trial] in the days since Judge Arthur Engoron, who will be presiding over the trial, issued a ruling finding Trump and the company liable for fraud.

"'Plaintiff represented that, now that pretrial rulings have been entered in the case that materially altered the landscape, it was imperative that he attend his New York trial in person—at least for each day of the first week of trial when many strategy judgments had to be made,' wrote the judge in Cohen's case.

A"t a campaign stop in California Friday, Trump was asked if he intended to attend the trial Monday.

"'I may, I may,' Trump replied. (Source)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
First Georgia defendant agrees to flip

Expect more of this. With both Cheseboro's and Powell's speedy trials to begin soon, defendants who wish to flip will have to move fast. Fani Willis is very much in the driver's seat now. She alone will determine who gets the best deals, and at what price. Her cases stand to greatly benefit as witnesses who can directly implicate the higher-ups race forward to spill it and compete with each other for the best deals.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
They can sue all they want. They don’t have a constitution leg to stand on.
I'm not a constitutional expert, so I don't know if they have a constitutional leg to stand on or not. The arguments in favor of disqualifying Trump from the ballot on 14th Amendment grounds seem credible to me. Others disagree.

That's why I'm glad to see these lawsuits filed and thereby litigated in court. There, in a court setting, where arguments are competently made and respectfully heard, experts will make their cases, rulings will be made, and we'll then know which ones have constitutional legs to stand on.