The Sinking Of The Titantic - FDCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If this is the case, I can see why Phil is P/Oed; I'm sure he didn't envision himself as a glorified courier. EDIT: Phil & Diane went to Landstar while I was typing (I'm a hunt & peck typist), so it ain't his problem anymore :)

Diane and I did not leave the company "P/Oed." We left for financial reasons and emotional. We felt sad, not mad, when we left; sad as in greiving the decline of a good company (as seen from our perspective as contractors). Those feelings set in about a year ago as the effects of numerous company changes began to be felt. I wrote about that in my blog on August 21, 2010.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It seems to me that the ones that are complaining the most are those with the expensive TVAL trucks that are sitting and waiting for that high dollar load so they can make that next truck payment. You know, the ones that have all the qualifications and can haul anything but won't because the rate is too low.

I don't know about the ones, I only know about this one, namely me. Our truck has been fully paid for since 2008 and we have enough money in the bank to sit for six months or more if we had to. My complaints were not inspired by a need to make a truck payment.

Diane and I could match the gross revenue numbers posted by dabluzman1 and jackdixon_2000, but to do so, we would have to lower the rate per mile (all miles) we were willing to accept. Because we have seen high-paying freight volume decline at FedEx Custom Critical, we lost the luxury of running higher paying loads one after another.

There was a time when Diane and I could demand exceptionally high pay to move our truck. Why did we do so? Because we could. It made little sense to us to run for less money per mile when you can run for more, when demanding more would not leave you sitting long.

The reason the volume of high-paying loads declined, we believe, is because company-owned reefer trailers were and continue to be introduced into the system, and dedicated dispatchers are now tasked with putting the high-pay freight we used to haul onto that equipment before it is dispatched to percentage-paid trucks like ours.

Our reasons for leaving the company were financial and emotional. A large part of the emotion was our inability to live with a new dispatch system that is by design unfair to percentage-paid trucks like ours. It is a system that we can neither trust nor abide, so we left.

Now at another carrier, it may well become the case that we will have to settle for the kind of money Jack and Dave report and the rate per mile that must be accepted to generate that kind of volume.

If we must do that, we prefer to do it while leased to a carrier where the customer, dispatcher (agents) and contractor interests are more closely aligned, and not at a carrier where the primary source of competition is from company-owned equipment. (I am not yet ready to settle for a lower rate per mile. Many opportunities remain to be explored at our new carrier.)

We also prefer to do it with a carrier where the culture is more relaxed and contractors are more respected. If the money is not there to make it worth putting up with the crap, why put up with the crap?

FedEx Custom Critical used to be a company where the dispatch system was fair and the customer, dispatcher and contractor interests were closely aligned. That changed with the introduction of company-owned reefer trailers, flat-rate trucks and preferential dispatch of them over percentage paid trucks.

If we believed we could make better money by staying, we would have held our nose and stayed. But we don't believe that any more, so we left.

We may only make equivalent money at our new carrier but at least it will be without the stress of being dispatched under a system that is unfair by design and skewed such that percentage-paid trucks are passed over and dispatched last if they are dispatched at all.

That, jjoerger, is what inspired my complaints; not the need to make a truck payment.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lying by omission is still lying. It may suit some need to allow this stuff short term be things like this NEVER improve things long term.

They are what they are. I hold no illusion. Never have. It has just gotten old. I am too old and too tired to keep dealing with this garbage. I am just going to become a bum and let the government support me!! I would be better off!

This is an interesting article to say the least. Im a cv driver and the many pages of threads here sound in many ways like the cv drivers out here on the lots. It seems our stories are not to far apart, just the size of our trucks or vans is different. The low rates out here that some cvers run for is down right stupid. o well, life goes on, I think.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well Phil....you won't have all them TVal hoops to jump thru nor the costs associated with them...that would or could lower your needed rate....
I was talking to a Tval/WG team yesterday....they drive for a fleet owner...they DON'T do Canada....not required anymore...the truck does NOT have a limiter either...

Speedwagen

Seasoned Expediter
Well Phil, as the dust settles, the nagging question is:
How fast will your truck go now sans a speed limiter?:D

Good luck with your transition.
Rich

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well Phil....you won't have all them TVal hoops to jump thru nor the costs associated with them...that would or could lower your needed rate....
I was talking to a Tval/WG team yesterday....they drive for a fleet owner...they DON'T do Canada....not required anymore...the truck does NOT have a limiter either...

So are you thinking this is something new? Many trucks do not have the speed limiter and many do not go to Canada.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So are you thinking this is something new? Many trucks do not have the speed limiter and many do not go to Canada.

Yes, there are many trucks that do not do Canada or have limiters. It strikes me as strange. We were told that we would not be allowed to remain as a WG truck if we choose not to speed limit. I wonder if we will see that same sort of thing with reefers that meet or don't meet California standards?

We like our Canadian work and would not want to give it up. It is some of our best paying work, so speed limiting is a reality that we deal with.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ummm....easy off girl....last time Joe posted he said Limiters were mandatory and so was doing Canada....for Tval

remember how pizzed he was on HAVING to get one? We all sure do....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ummm....easy off girl....last time Joe posted he said Limiters were mandatory and so was doing Canada....for Tval

I am not sitting around waiting for life to be fair. I will do what I need to make money.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was intending nothing....just pointing out the rules seemed to have changed in the last year or so....gee whiz....

Gee whiz back!! LOL!! I did not imply that you were intending something. Just stating the facts as they are. We keep all mail we get from FDCC. Still have the letter with the requirements for WG and limiters. Stuff happens. Nothing new. Been that way every where I have worked.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Warning - THIS IS NOT ABOUT PICKING ON PHIL

We felt sad, not mad, when we left; sad as in greiving the decline of a good company (as seen from our perspective as contractors).

I guess after this mornings discussion with a few WG/SC/surface contractors, we are all wondering the same thing about the decline of FedEx - where is it happening?

The company is still good, it is still competitive and it has yet to decline, so where does this impression come from?

We think it the fact that a few got used to and expect the high rates but now have problems struggling with the lower than expected rates the company is offering. They are either unprepared to face reality and deal with it which means adjusting their business to match FedEx's business.

The one thing that the SC couple pointed out is that Panther and another company have gotten into this high value stuff and has taken a number of customers from FedEx, mainly because of the rates FedEx were offering. The Fed isn't a "first call" company and I think the company recognized that a few years back when they started to tighten things up to improve their bottom line.

The use of trailers cut into other's work but it isn't the thing to cry about, neither are the self-contained minireefer units that go on vans or the fact they shift some work to Freight.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee whiz back!! LOL!! I did not imply that you were intending something. Just stating the facts as they are. We keep all mail we get from FDCC. Still have the letter with the requirements for WG and limiters. Stuff happens. Nothing new. Been that way every where I have worked.

Well, well...I was NOT informed? LOL....:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I guess after this mornings discussion with a few WG/SC/surface contractors, we are all wondering the same thing about the decline of FedEx - where is it happening?

The company is still good, it is still competitive and it has yet to decline, so where does this impression come from?

We think it the fact that a few got used to and expect the high rates but now have problems struggling with the lower than expected rates the company is offering. They are either unprepared to face reality and deal with it which means adjusting their business to match FedEx's business.

The one thing that the SC couple pointed out is that Panther and another company have gotten into this high value stuff and has taken a number of customers from FedEx, mainly because of the rates FedEx were offering. The Fed isn't a "first call" company and I think the company recognized that a few years back when they started to tighten things up to improve their bottom line.

The use of trailers cut into other's work but it isn't the thing to cry about, neither are the self-contained minireefer units that go on vans or the fact they shift some work to Freight.

You are correct for once there oh Greggo....:p

Its just changing business practices to adjust Fedex's bottomline...and contractors either adjust or move on....simple business 101 is all

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

This is a perfect example of why listening to one irritated contractor does not make a companies policy...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Awesome Greg when our business plan does not work with FedEx's business plan it would be time to move on. That would not make the company a bad company.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
As i have often say there is not one company for everyone... and any company can change as well as a contractors needs can change and it is time to move in a different direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.