Modern Life In Appalachia

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
That's the difference between living up north and living in the belt buckle of the Bible Belt. When I lived in Ohio, New Jersey and Pennsylvania I didn't see much of it, but in Kentucky and Tennessee I see it more often than not.

The Kentuckians I know treat women well. But, that doesn't fit the narrative of a thread designed to disparage Appalachia.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just traveling around KY and TN, I don't see it either. Nobody would. But when you are immersed in it and deal with large numbers of people on a daily basis it becomes shockingly clear. I saw it when I managed restaurants and had 50, 60 people on payroll. You get to know these people on a personal level and learn what their lives are like. I discussed it with many of them, specifically discussing how women up north wouldn't put up with nearly as much. Not being raised in that I found it a little shocking at just how much these women put up with. At first I thought it simply a North /South thing, but when you hear time and time again that they put up with it because of their faith, it gets harder to dismiss it. Later, when I worked in the church directory division of Olan Mills and was in a church of one denomination or another, I could to see it even more clearly, despite it being more subtle and clearly attempted to be hidden behind the facade.

No, it's not the same level of abuse or barbarianism you find in strict sharia law. But now we're just talking about different levels of it.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
There is simply no comparison to be made regarding women living under government sanctioned Sharia and domestic relationships in the United States. Men and women all over the world may quarrel, but sharia's legal code and system of punishment are not comparable in any way to American life.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I see nowhere in this story where a "Christian" court ordered the slaying of anyone.
That (accurate, in this instance) observation is at least somewhat reassuring ...

Islamic sharia courts, however, order stoning to death, cutting off limbs and other barbaric practices.
As did Christian and Jewish courts at one time ...

The murder depicted above wasn't court ordered or sanctioned by government.
The inaction by police says otherwise ...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
That (accurate, in this instance) observation is at least somewhat reassuring ...

As did Christian and Jewish courts at one time ...

The inaction by police says otherwise ...

Sharia is about 2000 years out of step with modernity in many regards.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Sharia is about 2000 years out of step with modernity in many regards.
As a blanket statement that is inaccurate, because it broad-brushes sharia, and seeks to define sharia solely by some extreme interpretations/implementations ... which are relatively rare ...

The actions of doing so either speaks to 1. ignorance or 2. motivation ... take your pick ...

You might as well say Jewish halacha - religious law - is 2000+ years out of step with modernity ...

Probably a good thing the practice of the extreme aspects of both are relatively rare.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
As an additional example of one or more of the manifestations of cognitive dissonance, I'll repost the following - which was ignored and not responded to thus far.

Watch for and note what you see in response ... or what you don't ...

That's correct: there isn't ... there is absolutely no comparison with the extent of the barbarity we as "modern", "civilized" human beings - a "Christian" nation according to some - are capable of committing, and have actually committed ...

Which is the worse "barbarity" ?:

To put out someone's eyes for the crime of having put out someone else's eyes ?

Or putting out the eyes of civilian non-combatant, whose country your nation has invaded without just cause, and who is just trying to survive but the bad fortune of being guilty only of the crime of "being there" ?

Or how about blowing off the legs of some kid living in a neutral nation because your nation left their country littered with tens of millions of cluster bomblets ?

What about this one:

To flog someone for some crime they have committed and actually have been tried and convicted of ?

Or to torture some hapless civilian non-combatant - who had the bad fortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - to the point that their legs are "pulpified" and they eventually die ?

Taxi_to_the_Dark_Side

Tell me more of this "barbarity" that horrifies you so, and inflames your delicate sense of moral outrage ...

By the way, I note and point out here that the alternative forms barbarity that I note and point out above are largely "state-sanctioned" ...

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
There is simply no comparison to be made regarding women living under government sanctioned Sharia and domestic relationships in the United States.
If that is really true, then why are you trying so hard to compare and differentiate them ?

Some long-standing, deep-seated aspiration to be Sisyphus ?

Men and women all over the world may quarrel, but sharia's legal code and system of punishment are not comparable in any way to American life.
Right ... (see above)

Last edited:

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
The country women I know routinely put up with an insane amount of abusive crap from their boyfriends and husbands. I don't know any that would tolerate sharia law, but I know plenty who willingly tolerate biblical law and the subservience that goes along with it.

There are too many people that misinterpret Biblical law.

The Bible is very clear on how to treat others and mandates for men to treat their wives with respect.

Here in my opinion is the real issue.

The extreme people that twist the word of God to serve their selfish needs get the most attention in stead of the true Believers.

The Bible is very clear that Christians should be living examples of Christs love and to treat others as you want to be treated. The basis of Christianity is that human nature is evil, based on selfish needs, and with God being holy and just Christ had to come to pay the price of that by taking the sins on himself. Since he did not commit any sin, he was not guilty and rose from the dead. He paid the price for anyone that would accept that precious gift. In return we must believe, serve God, and treat others with love and compassion.

Real Christain brothers and sisters are nonjudgemental and do whatever they can to help others in anyway that they can. They likr to keep their charity donations in secreat, since they donot do it for show. They are compassionate and have a genuine love for people with no selfish motives.

Of course we are far from perfect.

It is not right to group others as being bad due to those that deminstate bad behavior. Due to race, creed or national origin.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for this Christian husband, I don't want a slave for a wife; I want an executive officer, a first mate. Someone who respects my role as captain, but who is fully capable of command when she needs to assert it :)

Not Welcome in New York

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I don't know what the deal is here but being a good ole' Georgia boy my wife rules the roost in my household.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know that much about KY, but I've lived in TN and traveled the state from Bristol to Memphis for a loooong time and have learned a good bit about the culture over the years. Personally, I haven't seen the culture of abuse that you claim exists in this part of the "Bible Belt"; maybe it's different in KY, but I doubt it. Of course there's always statistical data to which we can refer. You might want to talk to some of the women in OR, MD, IL or NH next time you're in those areas.

NISVS State Table Data 71b|Funded Programs|Violence Prevention|Injury Center|CDC
You mean women up north, well outside of the Bible Belt, where they don't put up with it and will report it? Not really sure how that applies, especially since I'm not even talking about the sexual violence of which those numbers are comprised. I'm talking about the full range of abuse from physical to mental to verbal which make up the role of subservience, and "know your place, woman!"

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As for this Christian husband, I don't want a slave for a wife; I want an executive officer, a first mate. Someone who respects my role as captain, but who is fully capable of command when she needs to assert it :)
And there you have it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wonder, how many who seek to dispense advice on marriage, relationships etc, are themselves successful at it? If they are not, should they be critical of others?

Look at it this way. If I want to learn how to run a boat, I go to someone who is proficient at running boats. Someone with experience running boats. I would NOT go to someone who has lived their entire life in the desert, who was proficient in riding horses but has read a book about running a boat. (or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

Same for marriage. I would go to people with successful long term marriages for advice. If I wanted to learn how NOT to have a successful marriage I would talk to those who have failed.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Not Welcome in New York

And there you have it.

And there you have it - straight from the Christian family man living in PA. But assuming his wife is comfortable with their relationship, where's the abuse :confused:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I see nowhere in this story where a "Christian" court ordered the slaying of anyone. Islamic sharia courts, however, order stoning to death, cutting off limbs and other barbaric practices. The murder depicted above wasn't court ordered or sanctioned by government.
Notice also a glaring fact in this report: those responsible for this barbaric activity have been charged with murder in accordance with their Christian based legal system. This crime was also widely condemned by the people. Compare this with Sharia law that condones torture and murder, and is generally accepted by Muslim populations. Quoting from the article (emphasis mine):
The two charged Monday were among more than 40 people who were detained last week in connection with Leniata's slaying. The others were eventually released due to lack of evidence, but police said more arrests are expected.
In rural Papua New Guinea, witchcraft is often blamed for unexplained misfortunes, but the brutal killing was met with outrage across the South Pacific island nation, drawing condemnation from the prime minister, police and diplomats.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And there you have it - straight from the Christian family man living in PA. But assuming his wife is comfortable with their relationship, where's the abuse :confused:
Assuming Muslim women are comfortable wearing face and head coverings, and being subservient to men under sharia, where is the abuse?

Most religions are more about control than anything, and not unlike slavery, if you can convince people their chains are jewelry, you've got a good start on control. If you can convince women to be subservient to men as a matter of obeying their faith, there ya go.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Amazing that some people still don't see this blinding glimpse of the obvious.
Even more amazing is how many people think all Muslims live under the barbaric form of sharia law, and that sharia law is widely in place in Muslim countries.

Fundamentalist wacko Christians don't represent the majority of Christians any more than fundamentalist wacko Muslims represent the majority of Muslims.