Michael Jackson and Farrah died today

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Nothing new here, but glad you told it.
I never praised the man, I'm not even a fan, I just question the insensitivity shown by a few here. People should respect the moment, not for the dead person, they'll never know, but, the rude comments, some made in humor ( poor ) and others just hateful, are a sad commentary on those making them and disrespectful to the family and friends.
I hope this was right.

But respect goes both ways and doesn't stop at the door. If you preach about it, practice it. People can and do make comments about celebrities and rightfully so, they are the ones who want to be famous and regardless it goes with the territory. If people appear to be insensitive, it is because of the person being untouchable or virtual to them, which is alright.

The fact is that most of the people in Hollywood don't respect us, we are the people who actually make them rich and famous, they don't. They can not make a dime without the guy/gal who buys their recordings, see their performances or go to the movies - Jackson was one who understood this. Farrah was not, she was above all of this.

I have met a number of "stars" from Hollywood, and only two knew that we are more important than they are, the others didn't give a cr*p. One actually helped me with a load at one of the studios, he didn't have to but he did because I was a "fan" who watched his movies - his words.

You respect the person when they are alive when it is appropriate, not when they are dead. Appropriate is when they impact your life or are a part of it, like in-laws or a neighbor. Jackson did nothing for me and neither did Farrah, so I feel sorry that a life has passed but nothing more.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You respect the person when they are alive when it is appropriate, not when they are dead. Appropriate is when they impact your life or are a part of it, like in-laws or a neighbor. Jackson did nothing for me and neither did Farrah, so I feel sorry that a life has passed but nothing more.

Once again, YOU GOT IT WRONG, all wrong.

Whether you respect or dont respect a person while they are alive does not give you the right to be disrespectful to those who mourn their death.
Think what you like about the person, dead or alive, no problem their, but callous uncouth remarks at a time of sorrow for friends and family would be better kept to yourself
or in private circles.
Its not all about you.
Respect IS a two way street.
It appears you drive down the center of the road expecting from both directions then preaching why you dont have to give it.
YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
Yep How sad that the king of pop has passed...been watching it on TV for the last couple days....no more shows or concerts...no more new music.....a world wide legend that will be missed..more popular then any figure before or after......thank goodness i have his concert from buchares on vcr....

are12

Expert Expediter
I know that each and every one of us has our own opinions on everything but why is it that such a simple thread can cause such chaos?

I was brought up that you respect the dead, no matter how you feel or don't feel about them, since everyone on this earth has someone who loved or cared for them.

Maybe having to deal with 3 deaths in the matter of 2 months has made me more sensitive to this subject but I truly feel that this is a topic that is better left at: if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Once again, YOU GOT IT WRONG, all wrong.

Yea sure...

You seem to forget this is a simple forum and people have their own opinions on issues that matter or not matter in their lives.

Respect is indeed a two way street, if you want to throw stones in your glass house, fine but don't judge others.

These people were nothing more than entertainers, they were elevated above us by a flawed system that makes them special because of some 'talent' they have. But in fact they are below all of us on the food chain. Their lives are measured not by their true accomplishment in life but by how their PR firms have made them appear to us, the public. When they crash, we sometimes feed on that because of our lives are made insignificant by the same flawed system that elevates them in the first place.

They earn or lose the respect of the fans quickly for what ever reason we feel which we don't have to give a reason for the why and there is no reason for them to claim they have a right to our respect as much as there is no reason for you to judge others about their feelings of the person whether they are dead or alive.

wellarmed

Not a Member
This is a disgusting, unsymphathetic, nasty, tasteless joke, that I just told to a bunch of people.

I have said it before and I'll say it again(wiping the tears of laughter and having the wife ask,what the heck is wrong)Looking forward to the day.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know that each and every one of us has our own opinions on everything but why is it that such a simple thread can cause such chaos?

I was brought up that you respect the dead, no matter how you feel or don't feel about them, since everyone on this earth has someone who loved or cared for them.

Maybe having to deal with 3 deaths in the matter of 2 months has made me more sensitive to this subject but I truly feel that this is a topic that is better left at: if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Absolutely agree.....some of the good members here making disgusting comments are no better then the subject.....:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Farrah got me through puberty. Well, OK, I was well passed puberty when she first appeared on Charlie's Angels, but she brought the feelings of puberty back to me. :D

Michael did some things musically that were far beyond new and different, beyond genius. He also completely reinvented the concept of the presentation of a song, many parts of which can be found in almost all music today, regardless of the genre. He also invented the long form theatrical music video, which has had an effect not just on music videos, but how television and movies are presented.

I was never particularly a fan, per say, of Michael Jackson (never bought any of his music or anything) but I can appreciate what he did and am a fan of some of the things he accomplished. He was a genius in many ways. And like most geniuses and others who are extraordinarily accomplished at something, they think very differently than we do, and thus appear to be, at the very least, a little crazy. He did extraordinary things that normal people would not do, like dangling his son off a balcony. But he also did extraordinary things on stage and in a studio that normal people would not do. Personally and professionally go hand in hand when you're brain's wiring is a little different. Mozart, Einstein, Jackson, and many others, by all accounts were stone cold loons.

In any case, Michael Jackson's accomplishments should not be so easily dismissed because of accusations that were, in the end, unproven. He had the public social maturity of an 8 year old, so it's not really a stretch to think he had the same social maturity in private. He was, after all, crazy 'cause he didn't think like us.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was watching the news last night and they were showing footage of MJ's body being taken out to a RESCUE helicoptor. Now, setting aside everything else in this thread, THAT was a TOTAL was of helicoptor time. You do NOT fly dead bodies!! If that bird was needed for a live person and was not available because it was being used to fly a body, well, I can promise you there would be lawsuits out the ying yang!! Reguardless of what a person did in their lives it is NOT worth risking lives to fly their dead body!!! I was sure it was scenes of them moving a body, the head was all wraped, they were NOT working on him at all and they were in NO hurry. I would have the person who made the decision to fly a dead body FIRED!!! :mad: I cannot even fathom flying a dead body!! We would NEVER had been allowed to do that when Mrs. Layoutshooter and I were running ambulance. Celebrity shoud NOT make ANY difference. That put LIVES at risk!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A lot of the rescue helicopters, especially the ones in southern California, are just like us, independent contractors. It wasn't like a hospital, or the city or county, gave up an on-call helicopter to transport a dead body. Independent rescue choppers are used like that a lot in LA to transport famous people, both dead and alive, when an ambulance or hearse would otherwise do fine. It's because of traffic, for one, and to prevent the trip from becoming a circus of convoy of peepers and paparazzi.

Did you know that Harrison Ford owns and operates his own rescue helicopter in Jackson, WY? It's true.

So, you're hiking in the Tetons and you get lost, trapped on injured, and you get rescued by Indiana Jones.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A lot of the rescue helicopters, especially the ones in southern California, are just like us, independent contractors. It wasn't like a hospital, or the city or county, gave up an on-call helicopter to transport a dead body. Independent rescue choppers are used like that a lot in LA to transport famous people, both dead and alive, when an ambulance or hearse would otherwise do fine. It's because of traffic, for one, and to prevent the trip from becoming a circus of convoy of peepers and paparazzi.

Did you know that Harrison Ford owns and operates his own rescue helicopter in Jackson, WY? It's true.

So, you're hiking in the Tetons and you get lost, trapped on injured, and you get rescued by Indiana Jones.

That is a very sad commentary on our priorities as a Nation. Dead bodies are just that, dead. So many here have such a sick view of who and what is important. I cannot fathom doing that. I guess if it is a private helicopter it is OK, sort of, but if that bird was a hospital, or government assest, fire that guy.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There ya have it.
After all those years of working for the "firm" and being responsible for "mis-information" you let yourself get worked up by the "boob-tube".
Man you should know better.:D

That helicopter had the word "Rescue" on the side. The fact that a "Rescue" bird was being used to fly a dead body, I don't care who's dead body it was, just seems wrong to me. You cannot "rescue" a dead body. Dead is just that, dead. Beyond all hope, gone. "Rescue" assests are for living people that are in the process of getting dead. The purpose is to move them to a hospital fast enough to make every effort to avoid dead. As Turtle pointed out, this MIGHT have been a private contractor helicopter, if it was it is SORT OF ok, still, it is a real waste of an asset.

I did not think I was all that worked up, just a bit baffled by the stupidity of the entire thing. :(

What mis-information? I was never in a position to produce mis-information. You really lost me on that one. :confused:

Boob-Tube? Is that a really odd shaped bra? LOL!! I could not resist that!! My Bad!!!

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to Fox News, the decision to fly the body was because of concern with the crowds that might follow a hearse or ambulance. It's the obsessive nature of some of his fans, look at how quickly the crowds gathered after his death was announced. The crowd of fans and press trailing the ambulance could very easily create a danger. I think it was a good decision. The chance of some "perfect storm" of emergencies tying up all of the rescue resources at that moment would have to be practically nil.

Oh... and the term "boob tube"? Screens are mostly flat now. Maybe "Twiggy view"?

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The death of Princess Diana was a graphic demonstration of the insanity that ensues when paparrazzi chase photos - the helichopper was the best move, IMO.
What saddens me, though, is how little thought is given to MJ's children. No doubt they've always been shielded from most of the horrible comments about the man who was their father, but now that he's dead, all hell breaks loose - how must it make them feel? It's bad enough that their future living arrangements are spectacularly unsuitable [their mother who never wanted them? Or their paternal grandparents who haven't done a good job raising their own brood?] but to read what people say about MJ now - it must be a nightmare for those innocent kids.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
According to Fox News, the decision to fly the body was because of concern with the crowds that might follow a hearse or ambulance. It's the obsessive nature of some of his fans, look at how quickly the crowds gathered after his death was announced. The crowd of fans and press trailing the ambulance could very easily create a danger. I think it was a good decision. The chance of some "perfect storm" of emergencies tying up all of the rescue resources at that moment would have to be practically nil.

Oh... and the term "boob tube"? Screens are mostly flat now. Maybe "Twiggy view"?

I like "Twiggy View"!!!!

I know that it was not likely that the helicoptor would be needed for more important work, it is just my training that rises up against that sort of thing. As to the traffic problems with fans etc, that is what I meant. That is a VERY sad commentary on the priorities of people in this country. People put more stock in entertainers of all kinds than they do the firefighters/EMT's and para-medics that SAVE THEIR lives!!! It does just amaze me.

Talent is talent. It takes a LOT talent to be a good EMT or a good firefighter AND the courage to risk you life at any given time for someone that you have never met. Given the choice of meeting an entertainer or my garbage man I would prefere to meet the garbage man. He is of FAR more use to me and the country in general compared to the entertainer.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a disgusting, unsymphathetic, nasty, tasteless joke, that I just told to a bunch of people.

Here's another one you can pass along:

Michael Jackson's autopsy showed that he did not die from a heart attack. He died from food poisoning. 8 year old wieners.