DougTravels

Not a Member
Finally got a load out of GA, Here in Paducah, KY at the Pilot, probably stuck for the weekend.

Last edited:

pumafrom

Seasoned Expediter
2nd post ya'll hehe, i'm with the lonely cat firm , they gotta be lonely in OH, cause 800miles for the week as a team, its getting beyond brutal out here, sitting in Duncan SC, TA gonna be long weekend here it looks like. GL all:(:(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We are stranded for the weekend too, in Syracuse, NY, but not for lack of freight. We came off a $5,000+ load this morning because of a broken brake assembly bracket I spotted during my pretrip inspection. So, instead of running cross-country over the weekend, we sit and watch the snow melt as we wait for the replacement part to arrive. It hurt to call dispatch and tell them to take us off the load but it was the only safe thing to do.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Our owner had us move up to Jacksonville, FL from Ft. Pierce tonight, so we will see if that helps get us out of FL. I am enjoying the weather though. :D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
blacksburg j

with 2 feds and a pair of cats.

still no sprinters in sight.

dan, trying to find something not wool, wool blend or flannel to sleep in down here. the weather is SWEET!!

Last edited:

DougTravels

Not a Member
I caught a break tonite (well hopefully it works out that way). I got a PU tomorrow morning near Nashville delivering Sunday morning between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. That area scares me for outbound freight, but I think it beats waiting the weekend in Paducah. I guess only time will tell.

DougTravels

Not a Member
There is a pilot 25 miles from my drop in Denham Springs. I've never waited fro a load there, anyone have experience in that area? I have waited around Shreveport and Gulfport, MS not much luck there either.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I dropped in Rocky Mount, VA just after midnight and headed up the road a bit to White'S TS in Raphine, VA - gonna grab a few winks before I head up to the J in Winchester in the morning.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We get to have some fun this weekend. We are checking into a motel, using some free nights. We are in York, PA. We used to live just down the road in tiny Glen Rock, PA and still have many friends there. We are going to rent a car and visit as many as we can. This is one of the main things we love about this business. We have freinds and family all over the country and now we get to see them more often. Layoutshooter

broker

Seasoned Expediter
ATeam, once again you show us all how to be a more profitable Expeditor.

While doing a pre-trip inspection, you found a broken brake assembly.
Pre-trips are very important.

Again, very smart by putting safety first and getting it fixed before heading out cross country.
Get stopped for one of those dreaded truck inspections and they might have put you out of service.

Not sure however about letting us know it was a $5,000 run.
What are we to learn from that?

Could that have been like some say on here a "TOOT, TOOT"?

BIG JOHN

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Not sure however about letting us know it was a $5,000 run.
What are we to learn from that?

Could that have been like some say on here a "TOOT, TOOT"?
BIG JOHN

Some will no doubt take it that way, but so what? I have no control over the conclusions other people draw.

I included the information to make the safety-first point. Rather than jurry-rig the truck to complete the run, we forfieted a significant amount of money in the interests of safety. Had I not mentioned the amount, readers would know the significance.

It's not about getting caught at a scale and put out of service. Level 1 inspections are rare, even more so for us because of PrePass, and entirely so if we made an effort to route ourselves around the scales. We did not come off the run because of the scales. We came off the run because we are safety-first drivers. If our truck is not in safe driving condition, we get it in safe driving condition before hauling anything.

It's not just freight in the truck. we are in it too. Why would anyone want do do anything other than run a safe truck?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What we see demonstrated is that safety is numero uno. As a solo, I'll probably never see a $5k run, but I can certainly feel his frustration. Mentioning it puts a very fine point on what it can be like when this business decides to kick you in the tender body parts.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Safety is our first and biggest responsibilty. Nothing else matters unless we do it right. I have been lucky enough to not be forced into the position to turn down a load that size and I hope I never have too. I, just as Phil did, would without question. I would hurt though. I might even say a wordy dird or two. I sure could use a load like that right now, it has been a while. Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It works both ways. A while back, we were called into an ASAP pickup only to find another truck already backed up to the dock. The freight had been loaded and that truck then died. Once we arrived, the freight was moved to our truck and we headed out on a sweet cross-country run; just as the tow truck came in to tow the other truck away.

We felt bad for the other team and they did not begrudge us the load. We have no idea who got "our" load. It would be wonderful if it was the team whose load we got before. We checked and the load was covered on time. That means we were not charged with a service failure, which counts for something, I guess.