Truckstops

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All you need to do to see that the van segment isn't all that significant in numbers is spend some time watching the fuel and gas islands at a large truck stop. Even in a place like Laredo, where you'll generally see a lot of vans, they're just a small, small fraction compared to the big trucks. The management of these big chains knows where the real customer base is.

And, for what it's worth, I spent over 8 years expediting in a cargo van.

True but the cost of catering to big trucks is also much higher. If you think about it straights are pretty much of a low volume customer when compared to semi numbers.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well lets see! If the average cv spends between $20-30,000 per year on gas, then only 10 vans would be a qtr of a million dollars. Win over a hundred+ c/v's and your looking at over 2.5 million dollars of gross sales just on fuel. Plus all the drinks, snacks, food and accessories sales. Doesn't sound like its not worth having to me! If TA/ Petro took care of us they would most likely get hundreds of us switching to them. JMHO

Yup, $2.5 million in revenue but not nearly that much in profit. Then take into account the extra wear on and wait time for showers that cause TT drivers to start fueling somewhere else and it quickly becomes a loss. The CV market is nothing to a truck stop chain, if CV's mattered they would change their program.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well lets see! If the average cv spends between $20-30,000 per year on gas, ...

Just curious; of the $20,000 to $30,000 the average cargo van spends on gas, what percentage of the gas is purchased at truck stops?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
When we were in our sprinter our averagw fuel cost per year was between 27-28k. Nearly 95% of it was bought from truckstops.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

HighwayHusky

Active Expediter
For some reason, everytime I pull into one of these places, I hear Obiwan say "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany."

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When we were in our sprinter our averagw fuel cost per year was between 27-28k. Nearly 95% of it was bought from truckstops.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Holy crap no wonder you're rich I'm lucky if I spend 15,000 a year....lol

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About 95% of my gas comes from truck stops. Quite often, I'll fuel and shower at P/FJ and then drive across the street to have a better meal, enjoy their better drivers lounge/TV room, and sleep there because I like TA/Petro better. How is that helping their bottom line?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hey look!! More class warfare!!! Great fun!!

It's just reality. If someone thought there was the possibility of making big money on CV's they would adjust it to attract CV's. When it takes 4 to 5 CV drivers to match the revenue potential (revenue not profit) of 1 TT the choice is obvious. Now if you have a loyal (very likely) TT customer that doesn't like the longer lines for showers or receipts and decides to start fueling 50% of the time at P/FJ then TA not only lost that profit but turned it over to their biggest competitors. Now they have to pickup 3 or 4 dedicated (not likely) CV customers (more than 2 since there are extra showers and more employee time is used) to makeup for the 50% of business from 1 TT. Now what happens when that once loyal TT customer needs new tires or a repair and decides to not go to the TA shop. CV drivers are fooling only themselves if they think they are some big revenue stream.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
About 95% of my gas comes from truck stops. Quite often, I'll fuel and shower at P/FJ and then drive across the street to have a better meal, enjoy their better drivers lounge/TV room, and sleep there because I like TA/Petro better. How is that helping their bottom line?

It helps both P/FJ and TA/Petro because P/FJ get your fuel money then you get out of the way. The TA/Petro then gets to make money by selling you food which they would make more off of selling you food than fuel.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
True but the cost of catering to big trucks is also much higher. If you think about it straights are pretty much of a low volume customer when compared to semi numbers.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

True, but we're using the truck fuel islands and the same loyalty program as the big trucks, so we're really one of them.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
True, but we're using the truck fuel islands and the same loyalty program as the big trucks, so we're really one of them.

We purchase fuel, oil changes and some repair work at the petro/ta so we spend there just like the tt's do, I would think that all business would be good for them regardless of the size of the vehicle, besides we tend to lounge around the truckstops more than a tt driver so at the end of the day we most likely utilize there amenities more than the big truck drivers.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The TA in Albert Lea is now a Petro. (Spending the weekend here now). What Layout said, very nice place. So is the Petro 2 in Clearwater, MN. Awesome food and bakery. Also, the Petro in Joplin, MO. and the one in Mebane, NC. (Seeing a trend here? Petro)

I was going to mention the Clearwater, MN Petro. You can't beat it for the restaurant. The bakery is a nice touch also; and it is very clean. I also like the Petro in Portage, WI, and the Petro in Oak Grove, MO. My favorite, however, has to be the Oasis off of I-10 in Robertsdale, AL. Lots of parking, clean, and the best ribeye with apple butter I've ever had, in the coolest restaurant I've ever eaten in.

https://foursquare.com/v/bp-oasis-travel-center/50294b4ef470f7543bcc9eda/photos

Frankly, any t/s that cooks a good steak, or has a Waffle House next door, is welcoming my truck with open arms.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Ok, you win Paul. Ill get the "No Vanners" signs made up.
Let get this segregation thing kicked off right!!

Any other group you would like to see banned from your water fountain?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ok, you win Paul. Ill get the "No Vanners" signs made up.
Let get this segregation thing kicked off right!!

Any other group you would like to see banned from your water fountain?

I didn't see any such comment from Paul. This fake outrage over being falsely disrespected, is something I'd see from politicians. Frankly, I don't see how you can make your bed, then complain when the truck stops don't fluff your pillows.

This is a thread about your favorite truck stops. I, for one, would like to see it stay "semi" on target. Thank you for your support. :)