Truckstops

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now if Petro/TA would only embrace the van crowd a bit more. It would be an easy choice, but its just too much hassle the way it is now for gas burners.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am surprised to not find many independents on the list, the Plainview travel plaza in Wisconsin is pretty good IMHO, the Mr fuel in Indianapolis is fairly clean, safe and has a decent selection of food in there hot case. We have not been to the upper west coast yet and would like some input on what to expect in the way of truckstops in that area!

The fuel cards and their discounts and points keeps us going to the TA/Petro brands. There may be independents here and there that are as good or better, but those fuel cards in the wallet create a force of habit that keeps us from looking at the independents, unless an intentional effort is made to do so.

In the Northwest, Jubitz in Portland, OR, is one such independent. After visiting it, you will find that all other truckstops in the Northwest are just truckstops.

If we are in the area, we generally go there to fuel and stay, though, there are no bargains to be found there. I once submitted a comment card in which I complained about the lack of water fountains in the building and said the prices were too high. Management replied with a letter saying they will give me a drink of water if I ask for one at the counter and their prices are fair.

Regardless of pricing, Jubitz is a common stop when we are near. This place is more than full-featured. It is spectacular as truckstops go.

Last edited:

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The fuel cards and their discounts and points keeps us going to the TA/Petro brands. There may be independents here and there that are as good or better, but those fuel cards in the wallet create a force of habit that keeps us from looking at the independents, unless an intentional effort is made to do so.

In the Northwest, Jubitz in Portland, OR, is one such independent. After visiting it, you will find that all other truckstops in the Northwest are just truckstops.

If we are in the area, we generally go there to fuel and stay, though, there are no bargains to be found there. I once submitted a comment card in which I complained about the lack of water fountains in the building and said the prices were too high. Management replied with a letter saying they will give me a drink of water if I ask for one at the counter and their prices are fair.

Regardless of pricing, Jubitz is a common stop when we are near. This place is more than full-featured. It is spectacular as truckstops go.

Thanks for the info sir

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
Any time we end up in Portland Jubitz is our go to place. We have always had good service and the parking lot is quiet. If you are there for more than a day it is real easy to catch the bus and visit the city.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Olive Branch, and I would walk across the street to the pub and restaurant and walk back, sort of.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Have you noticed that several truckstops sell the 40oz beer right by the cash registers, but on the exit door there's a sign saying " consumption of alcoholic beverages on this property is illegal " so please explain why an establishment catering to transportation would in a way promote drinking and driving, or are they suppose to buy the beer, walk to the edge of the property, drink the beer than walk back to there truck for a few hour nap before continuing on there trip.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have you noticed that several truckstops sell the 40oz beer right by the cash registers, but on the exit door there's a sign saying " consumption of alcoholic beverages on this property is illegal " so please explain why an establishment catering to transportation would in a way promote drinking and driving, or are they suppose to buy the beer, walk to the edge of the property, drink the beer than walk back to there truck for a few hour nap before continuing on there trip.

Most trucks stops also sell to the general, non-trucking, public

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Now if Petro/TA would only embrace the van crowd a bit more. It would be an easy choice, but its just too much hassle the way it is now for gas burners.

The TA expediting reward card does stink...they are missing out on a potentially lucrative group.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is true but most of the people buying those 40's and getting the empty 44oz cup are walking out the truck parking entrance/exit.

I have NO idea. I can't say I ever paid attention.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
The TA expediting reward card does stink...they are missing out on a potentially lucrative group.

I think vanner's can get a card for T/A, but you have to call customer service on the phone to get it,correct me if I'm wrong.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

That's easy to answer,Money!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Two words...boobs! Lol

There are LOTS of strange people out there, "boobs" do not interest many of them. Anyone could be a "target" of such behavior, from any number of weird watchamacalits.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

All you need to do to see that the van segment isn't all that significant in numbers is spend some time watching the fuel and gas islands at a large truck stop. Even in a place like Laredo, where you'll generally see a lot of vans, they're just a small, small fraction compared to the big trucks. The management of these big chains knows where the real customer base is.

And, for what it's worth, I spent over 8 years expediting in a cargo van.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well lets see! If the average cv spends between $20-30,000 per year on gas, then only 10 vans would be a qtr of a million dollars. Win over a hundred+ c/v's and your looking at over 2.5 million dollars of gross sales just on fuel. Plus all the drinks, snacks, food and accessories sales. Doesn't sound like its not worth having to me! If TA/ Petro took care of us they would most likely get hundreds of us switching to them. JMHO

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
As I pull up to fuel at Pilot NOW, I would not be if TA, Petro or Love's gave a crap about people that make a living burning gasoline. I did 125,000+ miles in the past year, plus a personal vehicle, and burned about 7,500 gallons of gas just in my CV. I'm guessing, because I used to shop it hard on GasBuddy, that I averaged about $3.30 per gallon. I'm now about 90%+ loyal to pilot for the free showers. But I'd gladly take that $24,500+ to another brand if the have a shyte!!!