Truckstops

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
LOL!! No, more like playing devils advocate kind of.
I really do think that every driver measures value in MANY different ways. I just don't like seeing/hearing phrases that almost transfer the value of a trucks revenue over to the value of the human being behind the wheel.

Semi drivers don't need to be elitist.
And we vanners KNOW FULL WELL that semis potentially generate far more revenue. I'd hope so.
But don't make veiled attempts to demean the human as you demean the value of a vanner's business to a truck stop.
Please.
Thank you.
Smile.

How's that? Huh? Better? LOL!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I certainly didn't mean to be elitist in my comments, but it's just that it's clearly obvious that vans aren't giving the truck stops nearly the revenue that the bigger units are, and if you spend some time with vanners you will see that many of them have next to no money in their pocket. They just aren't spending much when they're at the truck stops. Yeah, that's true of all of them, but after spending 8+ years in a van, I can tell you it's not at all uncommon.

Hey Moot, would it be your opinion that the van should be banned?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the TA' S and Petros give vans exactly what they deserve...just a little bit...just what vans contribute to the bottom line....a little bit....I have no real favourite truck stop....I take what I need and what suits me from each chain as an informed consumer...Loves has a good price on ice and usually diesel is a couple cents cheaper then a PFJ....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just curious; of the $20,000 to $30,000 the average cargo van spends on gas, what percentage of the gas is purchased at truck stops?
Approximately 60% of my gas is purchased at truck stops. That 60% is almost exclusively spent at Flying Pilots because of the shower program and coffee club.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
LOL!! No, more like playing devils advocate kind of.
I really do think that every driver measures value in MANY different ways. I just don't like seeing/hearing phrases that almost transfer the value of a trucks revenue over to the value of the human being behind the wheel.

Semi drivers don't need to be elitist.
And we vanners KNOW FULL WELL that semis potentially generate far more revenue. I'd hope so.
But don't make veiled attempts to demean the human as you demean the value of a vanner's business to a truck stop.
Please.
Thank you.
Smile.

How's that? Huh? Better? LOL!!

My comments were not meant to be elitist but just based on the reality of the situation. I have a feeling that there might be some unwritten agreement that P/FJ will have the better shower program and TA/Petro won't make an attempt to lure CV drivers away because the money isn't there for both to compete. Some CV drivers are thinking that bringing in the CV business means more business but for a chain like TA/Petro it could really hurt them. I would never demean a CV driver as a human or even the job that you guys do. The job you guys do directly benefits me because you bring parts to places like John Deere and then I haul the finished product.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Cool. But I can't imagine them being concerned with it at all. You said it yourself, kinda.
At any given point there may be an average of 2 Vans/Sprinters/Cubes actively fueling at a truckstop. Pumping about 15-35 gallons each.
Meanwhile, there's 5-20 semis around back pumping 150-250 gallons.

So regardless of the value of a vanner, I really think expediters are just not affecting any decisions of ANY if the major chains. Not about showers, coffee, food, service, or pigs behind the counter. None. Not decisions for OR agains vanners. Neither.

What is the HIGHEST number of expediter Vans/Sprinters/Cubes anyone has EVER seen actively pumping at one time?
I'm not bailing on my position but rather trying to point out that we're not in their decision process.

It's like McD saying "what brand of lightbulbs do Oklahomans want in our restaurants in Utah". Sure, some OKies will enjoy the Sylvania bulbs, but I think McD isn't even asking themselves the question.

Is my "difference in point" making sense? Point not being a human value issue but a not-on-the-radar issue.
Huh?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I get the point and it is what I was saying about the money not being there but both chains had to give some thought to come up with a shower program. P/FJ came up with their's and TA/Petro said fine you can have them and never tried to match or beat the program. The thought process involving CV drivers never went much further for either chain. You still see CV drivers complaining that the TA/Petro should lower the value of their showers to meet the fueling requirements of a CV. Some CV drivers think their revenue value is much more than what it is and get bent out of shape when they aren't catered to.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I get the point and it is what I was saying about the money not being there but both chains had to give some thought to come up with a shower program. P/FJ came up with their's and TA/Petro said fine you can have them and never tried to match or beat the program. The thought process involving CV drivers never went much further for either chain. You still see CV drivers complaining that the TA/Petro should lower the value of their showers to meet the fueling requirements of a CV. Some CV drivers think their revenue value is much more than what it is and get bent out of shape when they aren't catered to.

Maybe they should get Al Sharpton to organize a national strike for a better shower program! :D

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Nope, need it maybe, but not deserve it! Besides, if you want a better shower program it's up to you to upgrade to a truck. Driving a perverted roller skate does not count!

See there? Class warfare again. It doesn't have to be like that.

I will NEVER complain about getting a 1/2 shower for ONLY pumping 14+ gallons of gasoline. I almost never run out of showers and I shower every day. Sure, I don't get the points you do for pumping a ton of diesel but I basically get $6 free every time I fill 14+ gallons. So yes, I fill up, when possible, about every 250-300 miles depending on how far the next PFJ is.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
See there? Class warfare again. It doesn't have to be like that.

I will NEVER complain about getting a 1/2 shower for ONLY pumping 14+ gallons of gasoline. I almost never run out of showers and I shower every day. Sure, I don't get the points you do for pumping a ton of diesel but I basically get $6 free every time I fill 14+ gallons. So yes, I fill up, when possible, about every 250-300 miles depending on how far the next PFJ is.

HEY! Class warfare is all the rage these days! MY TURN! MY TURN! LOL!!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Ragman??? Need a perverted roller-skate pic. And it better not be a pic of my van!!

Aww, darn. My pics won't load today.
"This is not a valid image file."
Was gonna upload a pic of my van.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The remodeling at the Greenwich, RI TA is almost done. It is a pretty nice place to be, especially with the big parking lot.