The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
From the article you cited:

"Last week, the Minnesota Supreme Court rejected a related constitutional challenge against Trump in that state. A similar anti-Trump challenge is pending in Colorado, where a ruling is expected by the end of this week. Regardless of the initial rulings in these closely watched cases, most experts anticipate appeals that go all the way to the US Supreme Court, which could settle the issue for the entire nation."

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From the article you cited:

"Last week, the Minnesota Supreme Court rejected a related constitutional challenge against Trump in that state. A similar anti-Trump challenge is pending in Colorado, where a ruling is expected by the end of this week. Regardless of the initial rulings in these closely watched cases, most experts anticipate appeals that go all the way to the US Supreme Court, which could settle the issue for the entire nation."
This will be appealed to the Supreme Court. Good, good.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A Trial-Delay Nuclear Option for Trump

This article discusses a trial-delay option Trump has that I have not thought of before. He can fire his attorneys and thereby force the courts to delay his trials while new counsel is acquired. It is widely thought that Trump wants to delay all his criminal trials until after the election. The presumption is Trump will win the election and then corruptly use the powers of the presidency to somehow make the trials go away.

The writer calls this a nuclear option because it is a high-risk move. One or more judges may respond by revoking his bond and remanding Trump into custody.

I don't know if either of these outcomes will happen. The writer presents some interesting food for thought.

One outcome the writer did not mention is the option the judges have to not allow Trump to fire his attorneys or allow them to quit. Or, they may allow that but not grant a delay. Trump has this nuclear option and judges have them too.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This will be appealed to the Supreme Court. Good, good.
I agree. And so do the parties that are filing these lawsuits. That is why they are filing their lawsuits in the first place. Their whole purpose is to get this matter before the US Supreme Court.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree. And so do the parties that are filing these lawsuits. That is why they are filing their lawsuits in the first place. Their whole purpose is to get this matter before the US Supreme Court.
Good, good.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A Trial-Delay Nuclear Option for Trump

This article discusses a trial-delay option Trump has that I have not thought of before. He can fire his attorneys and thereby force the courts to delay his trials while new counsel is acquired. It is widely thought that Trump wants to delay all his criminal trials until after the election. The presumption is Trump will win the election and then corruptly use the powers of the presidency to somehow make the trials go away.

The writer calls this a nuclear option because it is a high-risk move. One or more judges may respond by revoking his bond and remanding Trump into custody.

I don't know if either of these outcomes will happen. The writer presents some interesting food for thought.

One outcome the writer did not mention is the option the judges have to not allow Trump to fire his attorneys or allow them to quit. Or, they may allow that but not grant a delay. Trump has this nuclear option and judges have them too.

Presidential pardons is a Constitutional power that Presidents have. If you don’t like or want him to have that power then don’t elect him.

Last edited:
  • Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Presidential pardons is a Constitutional power that Presidents have. If you don’t like or want him to have that power then don’t elect him.
No president has ever tried to pardon himself. If Trump got elected (unlikely) and pardoned himself, it would be challenged in the Supreme Court. You can assert that Trump has the power to pardon himself, but a whole lot of people would disagree. Your assertion does not the law make.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No president has ever tried to pardon himself. If Trump got elected (unlikely) and pardoned himself, it would be challenged in the Supreme Court. You can assert that Trump has the power to pardon himself, but a whole lot of people would disagree. Your assertion does not the law make.
Good. The Supreme Court will affirm that he can pardon himself, even from state court cases.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good. The Supreme Court will affirm that he can pardon himself, even from state court cases.
It would appear they've already ruled on that. However, he can't pardon state convictions.

"The power, which has historical roots in early English law,2 has been recognized by the Supreme Court as quite broad. In the 1886 case Ex parte Garland, the Court referred to the President’s authority to pardon as unlimited except in cases of impeachment, extending to every offence known to the law and able to be exercised either before legal proceedings are taken, or during their pendency, or after conviction and judgment."

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and ATeam

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would appear they've already ruled on that. However, he can't pardon state convictions.

"The power, which has historical roots in early English law,2 has been recognized by the Supreme Court as quite broad. In the 1886 case Ex parte Garland, the Court referred to the President’s authority to pardon as unlimited except in cases of impeachment, extending to every offence known to the law and able to be exercised either before legal proceedings are taken, or during their pendency, or after conviction and judgment."

IMG_5129.jpeg

IMG_5130.jpeg

• Haha

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
View attachment 23307
I have never expected the highly complex GA RICO case to conclude in court before the 2024 election. This thing will take years to complete.

And no, a president cannot pardon someone charged with a state offense. The president's pardon power is limited to federal offenses. You can share all the posts you want that say different but they do not matter. No president in the history of the US has ever pardoned someone for a state offense, because no president has that power.

You are free to assert otherwise but there is no way to truly answer the question unless Trump is elected (unlikely) and he tries to pardon himself for the GA crimes he is charged with.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have never expected the highly complex GA RICO case to conclude in court before the 2024 election. This thing will take years to complete.

And no, a president cannot pardon someone charged with a state offense. The president's pardon power is limited to federal offenses. You can share all the posts you want that say different but they do not matter. No president in the history of the US has ever pardoned someone for a state offense, because no president has that power.

You are free to assert otherwise but there is no way to truly answer the question unless Trump is elected (unlikely) and he tries to pardon himself for the GA crimes he is charged with.
A " serious constitutional argument". I concur.

Last edited:
  • Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another court win for Trump:
Yes it is, and I will score it as such in my next report (previous report here).

One thing to note: given Trump's single-digit win rate (8.67% wins, 91.33% losses), it is more accurate to say "a rare court win for Trump" instead of "Another court win for Trump."

Also note that this is a "window dressing win." Trump's NY fraud case continues and the trial end is rapidly approaching. The prosecution has rested. The defense is now calling witnesses to make it's case. They will be done with that in December and will then rest. At that point, Judge Engoron will make his ruling.

In a previous summary judgment, the judge has already found Trump et al liable for fraud. And he ordered certain punishments for that. The purpose of this phase of the trial is to present pro-Trump and anti-Trump evidence regarding the additional punishment to be decided and ordered by the judge.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes it is, and I will score it as such in my next report (previous report here).

One thing to note: given Trump's single-digit win rate (8.67% wins, 91.33% losses), it is more accurate to say "a rare court win for Trump" instead of "Another court win for Trump."
With Cannon likely delaying the trial until after the election and Fanni Willis’s bumbling case not decided until at least 2025 when Trump is already President, the Left’s hopes of incarcerating Trump are fading fast.

• Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With Cannon likely delaying the trial until after the election and Fanni Willis’s bumbling case not decided until at least 2025 when Trump is already President, the Left’s hopes of incarcerating Trump are fading fast.
Those who maintain such hopes are stacking one hope upon another. Maybe it will turn out that way. We shall see.