September Location

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
jasper motors same comp that makes jasper transmissions for some race cars and off road trucks.....guess they don't make very good motors even with a 100k mile warranty

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
aug 25th,became 39 for the 27th time.paid off truck,26th,rebuilt drive train,broken motor mount caused the problem,glad was at home.

delivered ontario ca sept 2nd,broke down again,was a shorted out wire caused when they put drive train back in truck,week previous.

loaded vernon ca to brownsville tx,delivered sept 4th,reloaded houston tx sept 4th for baltimore area,to deliver sept 8th.

right now.in staunton va,co-driver visiting relatives,we are doing 34 hr reset

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back at the dallas j, picked up in Holland Mi Friday then spent a couple nights at home. Heading to Larado later today to drop this early Tues.

CD see you when I get up if your still here.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Is that one of them personal things we shouldn't ask about?

check engine light goes on. go to auto shop for code pull. again(like the 5th time) #4 cyl misfire. only no mis-fire felt. on the load to nj in the mts of pa the mis fire is felt finally. got to goodyear and the tech explains the light goes on way before the mis is felt.

ford in their wisdom put a plastic gasket under the intake manifold. instructions for the tq of the gasket are burried deep into the install and first the head is tq to 18 ft inches(did you know there were ft inches? i didn't) then 18 ft lbs. goodyear determined these bolts are tq way beyond 18 ft lbs. so the gasket is cracked allowing coolant into the firing chamber. going to take the engine home to the folks who installed it.

now interestingly enough after running somerset nj to norwalk ct, scranton pa and breezewood pa(81,83 and u.s. 30) the light has gone o-u-t! do i still think there is a problem? hell ya. the tech mentioned that sometimes to discover a problem you need to go into the back of the information on the memory to find occurrences of the problem.

all i know is that the first replacement has cost a bunch of moneyin repair and down time and i wish i had bought a ford crate motor instead of a rebuilt.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have spent the holiday weekend in Pheonix waiting for a load out.:confused:. Temps have been around 103 days and 85 overnite low. We dropped Thursday nite at open pit copper mine at Bagdad AZ. Been at the J on I 10 since then.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
check engine light goes on. go to auto shop for code pull. again(like the 5th time) #4 cyl misfire. only no mis-fire felt. on the load to nj in the mts of pa the misfire is felt finally. got to goodyear and the tech explains the light goes on way before the miss is felt.

ford in their wisdom put a plastic gasket under the intake manifold. instructions for the tq of the gasket are buried deep into the install and first the head is tq to 18 ft inches(did you know there were ft inches? i didn't) then 18 ft lbs. goodyear determined these bolts are tq way beyond 18 ft lbs. so the gasket is cracked allowing coolant into the firing chamber. going to take the engine home to the folks who installed it.

now interestingly enough after running somerset nj to norwalk ct, scranton pa and breezewood pa(81,83 and u.s. 30) the light has gone o-u-t! do i still think there is a problem? hell ya. the tech mentioned that sometimes to discover a problem you need to go into the back of the information on the memory to find occurrences of the problem.

all i know is that the first replacement has cost a bunch of money in repair and down time and i wish i had bought a ford crate motor instead of a rebuilt.

In my opinion Jack..rebuilds might be fine to putz around the city...but in what we do and the long runs and pressure we put on these vans ....I've always maintained that "new" is the way to go...
In a rebuild you never know what parts are new and what parts have miles on them...regardless of what the garage says...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Loading out of irving Tx in the morning for a little 200 miler up to Loraine Tx...pay is good, hope to get out if there tomorrow...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
In my opinion Jack..rebuilds might be fine to putz around the city...but in what we do and the long runs and pressure we put on these vans ....I've always maintained that "new" is the way to go...
In a rebuild you never know what parts are new and what parts have miles on them...regardless of what the garage says...

I agree with OVM on new versus rebuilt. May I put in a kind word for diesels? They have tremendous longevity and can take the strain and abuse of expediting. I have used diesels exclusively for past ten years and no engine problems. None.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We spent a nice two days up in the Poconos and are now back to reality, sitting on "Expediter Row" at the Petro in Bordentown. We pick up tomorrow.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That's not what I mean Jack but sorry for your engine problems.

OVM, you don't rebuild your own engine?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I agree with OVM on new versus rebuilt. May I put in a kind word for diesels? They have tremendous longevity and can take the strain and abuse of expediting. I have used diesels exclusively for past ten years and no engine problems. None.

thought about a 7.3 but that required a different wiring harness. looking at other options. had enough of this one.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Well now, zat TA going to be better'n a dreary weekend across the Desert?? When ya git it figgured out let us know.

LOL It didn't turn out too bad. We took a walk to the Ontario Mills Outlet Mall about a mile away yesterday and had a great time looking around and spending money. :D I could have used a wheelchair for the walk back to the truck after all that walking around the mall though. lol

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL It didn't turn out too bad. We took a walk to the Ontario Mills Outlet Mall about a mile away yesterday and had a great time looking around and spending money. :D I could have used a wheelchair for the walk back to the truck after all that walking around the mall though. lol

EWWWW Shopping? LOL!! I think I would rather drop a bowling ball on my left foot than go shopping!!! EWWWWW!! Glad you enjoyed your weekend!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's not what I mean Jack but sorry for your engine problems.

OVM, you don't rebuild your own engine?

No I don't and I would not invest the time to do that either...I am NOT that inclined just so I can walk around and strut and say...see what I did....*LOL*

In-out clean as a whistle, back on the road with factory warranty.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey.. sometimes a girl has just got to shop! (And btw.. hubby spent more money than I did!!) :D

Boy, I NEVER like to shop!! LOL!! Even for cool stuff like guns or fishing stuff!! I just go in, get what I need and get out!!! Mrs. Layoutshooter will shop with her mom and sister when we are down there but would prefere to hike in the woods. Good thing you guys are out there to keep the money flowing!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No I don't and I would not invest the time to do that either...I am NOT that inclined just so I can walk around and strut and say...see what I did....*LOL*

In-out clean as a whistle, back on the road with factory warranty.

Besides, you don't want to mess up your "fancy" shorts!!! LOL!! :D