New charges coming at Pilot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ta is owned by a group that owns hotels not Iowa 80

Kenly 95 TA Truckstop Unveils 65-foot Lighthouse | Iowa 80 Truckstop

KENLY, NORTH CAROLINA – As the construction and remodeling progresses at the Kenly 95 TA Truckstop in Kenly, North Carolina, the facility has now completed construction on an amazing 65-foot lighthouse that was unveiled recently. The Kenly 95 Truckstop is currently undergoing a massive expansion that will be completed in early 2010.

So what does a lighthouse have to do with a truckstop you might ask? “Just as the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse has become a symbol of North Carolina, Kenly 95 strives to be a symbol of hospitality for truckers and travelers alike,” says Ernie Brame, General Manager. “We hope the lighthouse at Kenly 95 serves as a welcoming beacon and signifies a place you know you can get great food in a relaxing atmosphere.”

The truckstop has already opened a completely new chrome shop and relocated the gas islands and convenience store. The full service restaurant is being remodeled and a new food court is being added along with a Moonstruck Java coffee station.

Kenly 95 TA Truckstop is part of the Iowa 80 Group family of companies that include: Iowa 80 TA Truckstop, Walcott, Iowa; Joplin Petro, Joplin, Missouri; Oak Grove 70 Petro, Oak Grove, Missouri; Truckomat Truck Washes in N. Little Rock, Arkansas; Temple, Georgia; Effingham, Illinois; South Holland, Illinois; Indianapolis, Indiana; Walcott, Iowa; Oak Grove, Missouri; Joplin, Missouri; Kenly, North Carolina; Hebron, Ohio; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Laredo, Texas; Wytheville, Virginia; CAT Scale Company, Walcott, Iowa and Iowa80.com, Walcott, Iowa.

(Copyright © 2007-2009 Iowa 80 Group)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
All of this over a $1.99 magazine and bad food and cetane and on and on and on. Ok, we are big boys and girls, we dont have to stop at any truckstop,,,,,,,,duh. Lets all quit being whinnie butts..............:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually Turtle I understand that, but this wasn't about compensating the employee as part of their benefits, it went beyond that.

You may be able to tell me if I am wrong when several of us are standing in line waiting to place an order, out of no where comes a family with 6 kids and 3 adults with one of the adults stepping up to the counter in front of all of us inline and places an order for the entire group then pays nothing all because they work there, isn't that a bit too much?

Does that mean they are getting some part of their benefit package?
I don't know if that's part of their benefit package or not, or if it's too much. If what you described happened exactly as described, and there is no "rest of the story" (whether you are aware of it or not), I can't imagine that it's a routine occurrence, regardless.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bite away! Who else has a an Expediter Program? :D:D

I think their program might have been designed by politicians. Hi buddy hey we care so much about you we designed this great program and even named it after you guys. Please just do not look under the covers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually Turtle Pilot (the chain where it happened) sent me a rather interesting email about it Friday as a follow up to the original complaint. It explained that it was not normal, the manager of the restaurant has been replaced because my complaint led to a discovery of a rather large amount of waste being put on the books and being caught at feeding whole families instead of the employee on duty.

I don't mind the employees getting their perks, but when it is the rudeness and the arrogance of some who think it is alright that they are served before a paying customer.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Greg said:
I don't mind the employees getting their perks, but when it is the rudeness and the arrogance of some who think it is alright that they are served before a paying customer.
Haven't seen many arrogant burger flipper's :rolleyes: must be something new. :D

arrogant |ˈarəgənt|
adjective
having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities :

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
All of this over a $1.99 magazine and bad food and cetane and on and on and on. Ok, we are big boys and girls, we dont have to stop at any truckstop,,,,,,,,duh. Lets all quit being whinnie butts..............:D

Well said - my sentiments exactly! It is this very thing that kept me simply an observer for almost 5 years and why my interaction since joining remains selective and limited.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Jim,
Anyone standing behind the counter ignoring a customer and talking on their phone or to another worker is arrogant and rude. It says "I don't need to deal with you" and "I'm in control".

Even though we are big boys and girls with big trucks, the lack of customer service or the poor customer service is our own faults. We as a group don't expect the manager to step up and open another register to get rid of the 15 people standing in line is one of many examples. I think Piper's is one of arrogance, the person was not going to do something that has to do with the quality of service because she neither cares and looks down at the people who pay her wages.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Greg relax, It's not just truckstops. It happens all over the Country, I think its more of an attitude thingy of the younger generation.

MYGIA, why don't you care for discussions regarding things that directly affect you and your business? Cetane has an enormous effect on the performance of your truck. The cleanliness of the places and the attitudes of the people that serve you are important to most people, maybe not in your case I guess. I do admit that between this thread and the thread reminding people to set their clocks amazes me, but it sure does not make me rarely post. When there gets to be the fighting and backbiting I just post some benign nonsense and move on. (kinda like this post)

guido4475

Not a Member
Ta is owned by a group that owns hotels not Iowa 80

No, Bruno, you are wrong.The Iowa 80 group owns the t/a in Kenly just as they own the Petro in Oak Grove,Mo. and the Iowa 80 truckstop in Walcott,Iowa, along with the Catscale company as well.Call them and ask them for yourself.

guido4475

Not a Member
Kenly 95 TA Truckstop Unveils 65-foot Lighthouse | Iowa 80 Truckstop

KENLY, NORTH CAROLINA – As the construction and remodeling progresses at the Kenly 95 TA Truckstop in Kenly, North Carolina, the facility has now completed construction on an amazing 65-foot lighthouse that was unveiled recently. The Kenly 95 Truckstop is currently undergoing a massive expansion that will be completed in early 2010.

So what does a lighthouse have to do with a truckstop you might ask? “Just as the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse has become a symbol of North Carolina, Kenly 95 strives to be a symbol of hospitality for truckers and travelers alike,” says Ernie Brame, General Manager. “We hope the lighthouse at Kenly 95 serves as a welcoming beacon and signifies a place you know you can get great food in a relaxing atmosphere.”

The truckstop has already opened a completely new chrome shop and relocated the gas islands and convenience store. The full service restaurant is being remodeled and a new food court is being added along with a Moonstruck Java coffee station.

Kenly 95 TA Truckstop is part of the Iowa 80 Group family of companies that include: Iowa 80 TA Truckstop, Walcott, Iowa; Joplin Petro, Joplin, Missouri; Oak Grove 70 Petro, Oak Grove, Missouri; Truckomat Truck Washes in N. Little Rock, Arkansas; Temple, Georgia; Effingham, Illinois; South Holland, Illinois; Indianapolis, Indiana; Walcott, Iowa; Oak Grove, Missouri; Joplin, Missouri; Kenly, North Carolina; Hebron, Ohio; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Laredo, Texas; Wytheville, Virginia; CAT Scale Company, Walcott, Iowa and Iowa80.com, Walcott, Iowa.

(Copyright © 2007-2009 Iowa 80 Group)
Thank you, Turtle.I responded to Bruno's post before I saw your post.The rest of the T/A's that are not franchise owned are owned by corporate, Hospitality management inc.

miketango

Seasoned Expediter
Wal Mart Travel Centers would be a money makers. Place them next to all the new Wal Mart Super Centers. Add a fuel desk with a set of rest rooms, a couple of showers, and two or three eighteen-wheel accessible fuel islands and watch the dough roll in.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wal Mart Travel Centers would be a money makers. Place them next to all the new Wal Mart Super Centers. Add a fuel desk with a set of rest rooms, a couple of showers, and two or three eighteen-wheel accessible fuel islands and watch the dough roll in.

Great idea but it will hardly ever get past zoning laws or citizens groups that fight putting in truck stops.