New charges coming at Pilot

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is always nice of TA to be one of the highest prices on the block then give ya a discount..
Monroe TA was 3.01...I got mine on Van :censoredsign: for 2.79:eek:

I mean it is not as good a deal as it appears but still they give something...

Glad I am not IFTA!

I've been a few clean Pilots lately and one real nasty one and reasonably new...staff just doggin around and the night manager was more a friend then a boss...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Me too. Haven't found one yet that wasn't a dirty hole. Oh wait! Kenly, NC. But they customized that bad boy until it's more of a flea market than truckstop. That store is ALWAYS empty.

Good thing ya bit your tongue...love to see what you really think....:rolleyes:;):p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The TA in Albert Lee MN is very nice. One of the few that is. TA's tend to be rather shabby, as do a lot of the Pilots.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't mind more of the big boys to take notes from QT in MO. Those are some nice t/ss! Clean, plenty of food to choose from, and debit is same as cash. Little things... like jalapenos for the nachos and decent cig prices. They don't rape you on sammich prices, or overcharge for drinks. It's like mom-n-pop in a franchise.

I go to one truck stop in Decatur, In where the debit is same as cash. That's a nice feature, since I don't like carrying cash:)

guido4475

Not a Member
Me too. Haven't found one yet that wasn't a dirty hole. Oh wait! Kenly, NC. But they customized that bad boy until it's more of a flea market than truckstop. That store is ALWAYS empty.

That T/A is part of and owned by the Iowa 80 group.Alot of good came out if that change.

guido4475

Not a Member
The TA in Albert Lee MN is very nice. One of the few that is. TA's tend to be rather shabby, as do a lot of the Pilots.

Youre right.T/A's have a dirty look and feel to them.The floors always look dirty, even though they are freshly mopped.I get the feeliing from most that they are doing me a favor by being there.

Althought the Albert Lea Travel Center is noticeably cleaner and more hospitial than other T/A's,the restaurant is also alot higher priced than others.The last time I ate there the dinner bill was close to $15.00, for just me.This was a no steak meal.Last time for that place.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Youre right.T/A's have a dirty look and feel to them.The floors always look dirty, even though they are freshly mopped.I get the feeliing from most that they are doing me a favor by being there.

Althought the Albert Lea Travel Center is noticeably cleaner and more hospitial than other T/A's,the restaurant is also alot higher priced than others.The last time I ate there the dinner bill was close to $15.00, for just me.This was a no steak meal.Last time for that place.

No one asked you to eat there...there is a McD inside and a Wendys across the street at Loves' and you did see the prices before you ordered?...the place is nice and yes over priced like all the rest....but rule it out because YOU made a choice to eat there? That does not compute. Sorry.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Bosselman shows that someone can run a nice Pilot. First time I stepped into a Bosselman, I couldn't believe it. Now I mark them on my atlas.

eb

guido4475

Not a Member
No one asked you to eat there...there is a McD inside and a Wendys across the street at Loves' and you did see the prices before you ordered?...the place is nice and yes over priced like all the rest....but rule it out because YOU made a choice to eat there? That does not compute. Sorry.

Well good morning, you toe wiggler, you!!! I'm sorry, but did I offend you in some way to generate a reply with the tone to it such as yours?

Here's the deal.With it being the T/A, I sat down and ordered the fish dinner, thinking it was like any other T/A.No menu was needed or asked for because of this.And besides, after a long 2-day run, it is nice to sit once in awile and actually ENJOY a dinner once in awile, no matter how much of a tightwad one may tend to be.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I think I would be more likely to pay a bit more for clean, more hospitality and better food. The quality of the food in most TA's, Petros etc is just plain bad. They focus on fat, salt and bulk, quality is not a priority at most of them. Neither is keeping the places clean. You get what you pay for, at least sort of.

guido4475

Not a Member
That's not necessarily true. WilcoHess does indeed have 45 cetane fuel, but there are others who do, as well.

Most diesel retailers don't make it a point to let you know the cetane of the fuel you are buying (since diesel is a distilled product, not a manufactured product, and can vary from delivery to delivery), but it is important to know what you are getting as best you can, as the cetane number is (one of several measurements) the most significant indicator of the overall fuel quality.

The cetane number is simply a measurement of the ignition quality of diesel fuel during compression ignition. It is a measure of a fuel's ignition delay, or the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. The higher the cetane number, the sooner in the compression cycle the fuel will ignite. When the fuel ignites sooner in the cycle, it not only improved cold starts, but will reduce carbon deposits since it will have a more complete burn during the compression cycle.

Pure cetane is an open-chain hydrocarbon alkane molecule, also known as paraffins, which consist solely of carbon and hydrogen atoms, indexed to be 100 cetane. Naptha (alpha-methyl napthalene) is also a hydrocarbon, but with a cetane index in relation to 100 cetane of only 15 cetane. Diesel fuel contains hundreds of components, mostly different types of hydrocarbons, with each having a different cetane level, and it is the cetane average of all of the various components which gives diesel it's overall cetane number. There is actually very little cetane in diesel fuel.

Older engines run perfectly fine on 38 cetane diesel, but most electronic diesel engines require 45 or higher for best performance.

In Europe (and in the US) the minimum cetane used to be 38, as recently as 1999. In 2000 it was raised in Europe (the EU, and Iceland, Norway, Switzerland) to 40, and then a few years later to 51. The rated cetane number is plus or minus 1.

In the US, technically it is a state-by-state thing, not set at the federal level, but most states have adopted ASTM D975 as the standard, which calls for a minimum of 40 cetane, plus or minus 2.

Most diesel to be found at US retailers is in the 42-45 range. The Flying J routinely has their diesel at 40 cetane, and it ranges between 38-41, more often than not. That's one reason they tend to be cheaper than other truck stops around them, 40 cetane is cheaper to produce. If you fuel at the J, you will almost certain want to use Power Service or some other cetane improver.

Fuel at the TA, WilcoHess, Petro, Pilot and several others are usually at 45 cetane minimum, generally in the 44-47 range.

Premium diesel is generally 50-55 cetane, but premium diesel may or may not actually be a higher cetane value, depending on geography and season needs. In cold weather states, premium diesel is often the same 45 cetane, but is treated to prevent gelling, even though it is labeled as premium. In California, CARB regulations require a minimum of 50 cetane. Most diesel in Canada is also 50 cetane, but in Canada it also varies by geographical location and season.

Wilco and TA seem to be the most consistent with their cetane levels, and thus their fuel quality. Petro and Pilot aren't quite as consistent, as their cetane can vary wildly by geographical location (there are still some Pilot locations where they have Low Sulfur Diesel), since they get their diesel from so many different regional suppliers. The Flying J is amazingly consistent at all locations. It's lower cetane, but you can be confident in what you are getting (the one tank of really crappy fuel I got at the Davenport J a few weeks ago notwithstanding).

Once the cetane lever of diesel reaches 55, it hits a plateau, with there being no discernable difference in engine performance beyond that. Some biodiesel, especially that made with animal fats, can be above 60 cetane. Other biodiesel from vegetable oils is generally in the 46-52 range.

If you are unsure of the cetane level of the fuel you are getting, it's best to use a cetane improver. Power Service in the white bottle (Diesel Fuel Supplement+Cetane Boost) is for anti-gel, but can be used year around, and will add 4 cetane numbers to the fuel. The Power Service in the dingy gray bottle (Diesel Kleen+Cetane Boost) is for summer use, and will add 6 cetane numbers. There are certainly other cetane-improving additives on the market, but Power Service is the more well known of the bunch. Howes Meaner Cleaner is better at cleaning, and keeping clean, your injectors, but provides no cetane boost whatsoever. I generally use a little Howes in conjunction with Power Service.

Being in a Sprinter, a European vehicle with a European engine designed to run on 50 cetane European diesel, I use a cetane improver in every tank, unless I'm buying fuel in California, or when I buy premium diesel clearly marked as having cetane of at least 50. When I buy 50 cetane at the pump, I'll still use Howes as an injector cleaner and water dispersant, however.

It's like where they have biodiesel, and the sticker on the pump says "Up to 20% biodiesel". Could be 5%, could be 20%, could be anywhere in between. You don't know, and likely neither does the fuel desk clerk. If you drive a Sprinter and you fill up with biodiesel, you'd better add some Howes Meaner Cleaner to the tank to mitigate or eliminate the bio-residue that will be left behind to form carbon deposits on the fuel injectors. This is especially true if you have a later model Sprinter that says "No Biodiesel" on the fuel filler door.

Wait, what were we talking about again? Oh, yeah, the high price of a magazine. I never read the Pilot magazine, so how much they charge for it doesn't really matter to me.

Thanks for the education on diesel fuel cetane ratings.I'm sure it will educate those who do not know of what you speak of...
lol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well good morning, you toe wiggler, you!!! I'm sorry, but did I offend you in some way to generate a reply with the tone to it such as yours?

Here's the deal.With it being the T/A, I sat down and ordered the fish dinner, thinking it was like any other T/A.No menu was needed or asked for because of this.And besides, after a long 2-day run, it is nice to sit once in awile and actually ENJOY a dinner once in awile, no matter how much of a tightwad one may tend to be.

If you detected a tone...there was none intended..was just saying....the place is nice...and expensive. You could have gone to a Red Lobster or steak house just as nice and paid the same...just because it is a truck stop..you expect a bargain?;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the education on diesel fuel cetane ratings.I'm sure it will educate those who do not know of what you speak of...
lol.
You'd think that most professional truck drivers would know all the minute details of their fuel. Nope.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You'd think that most professional truck drivers would know all the minute details of their fuel. Nope.

Different people learn at different rates. People learn what is easy for them to learn first then, work on things that are more difficult later. There is the business end, the truck and the living on the road end to learn. It is not possible to learn it all prior to starting, unless you have the luxury to study it for several years prior to starting. Few do.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, I know. One doesn't really need to know anything about their fuel, unless some reason pops up that they should. Like, before I got a Sprinter I knew squat about diesel. I only knew that it would put a lit match out if you threw one into it, and that it was great for cleaning greasy tools. But once I started learning about the Sprinter and how its bodily fluids were critical, I learned about cetane, and it snowballed after that.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The more one learns about their business they better they do. Fuel is an extremely important part of the business. When one starts I think we assume, rightly or wrongly, that fuel is fuel and always meets minimum standards. Then, after we feel we can hold our heads above water without sinking we dive deeper into other things. That is one of the great things about this site. Posts like yours on fuel helps to jump start that process. Maybe some posts like that can be put into a "sticky archive" for future reference. An archive like that could save a "newbie" from doing something stupid one day and save their business.

guido4475

Not a Member
If you detected a tone...there was none intended..was just saying....the place is nice...and expensive. You could have gone to a Red Lobster or steak house just as nice and paid the same...just because it is a truck stop..you expect a bargain?;)

You are absolutely correct,it makes more sense to eat at a non-truckstop place, where you get better quality and nicer atmosphere for the same price.One more good thing about being in a van. That I dont have a problem paying for.Although the Petro has a heck of a steak dinner on special right now...