When I was a Newbie.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I started back in 1999,by jumping into a New truck. I had spent some time talking to Expediter Drivers in my plant at GM where I worked for 31.5 years. 22 of those years were on a fork truck unloading Expediters and Semi's. I thought I knew all I needed to jump in and drive 3 years after I retired from GM. "WRONG" It's not a LifeStyle for the weak. You must realize that you will be away from home for weeks on end, if you want to make any money that is. The first night out of orientation,I was laying in my bunk, thinking. Oh My Lord, what have I got myself into. A $1500.00 payment, plus all the other O/O fee's and tax's. It scared the Bejesus out of me, and I was One of the Lucky one's to be able to sell my truck without losing to much money.

In 2000 I got back into a truck driving for an owner. Much better feeling. Later that year I leased a New Cargo van,and drove it for 14 months. Again I wanted to drive a Big Truck. I traded in the Van on a New Straight truck at $1650.00 a month. Worked that truck up till May of 2003. As it was I was working for the truck, and No Money in my pocket. I lucked out again, It was a Walk away lease. I retired until now. I just purchased a nice used Truck with a very good payment that will allow me to enjoy Expediting to it's fullest. I hope some of the Newbies will read this and realize when these O/O tell you to drive for someone else first, they do know what they are talking about. Like I said I started in 1999, and I still feel as a Newbie and still have a lot to learn. (Please don't start with the Math.) These Dates are estimated (except for my Start Date). Thanks and Good Luck to all Newbies out there. Drive Safely and Be Profitable...Butch:D :D :D

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the straight talk. It is hard to tell it like it is. Your comments about this not being for everybody is correct. Not everyone wants to be away from home for weeks on end. This is a nomadic lifestyle. Good luck.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Your description of the first night out of oreintation is about how felt that same night. It is too late once you buy. All you can do is feel sick. I have not driven much since April as I hired drivers. Thanks to some bigtime recent expenses I guess I am going back in one of them to earn some money to get back on my feet. You are very right about driving for an owner. I am not real sure what I would do different if I started over, new truck out of the gate or drive for an owner. I love the business but I did start with used trucks. Mine now have over 300,000 on each and they just decided to show me why I would have been better off with new. They were low miles when I got them and I have done well but I think new is in my futuer.

Raceman
Two Straight
owner
part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I do not disagree with the advice to drive for a fleet owner first. That's how my wife and I started out. It enabled us to sample the business before committing capital of our own to a new truck.

Allow me to mention the importance of being well capitalized before buying your truck. In other words have some cash reserves in the bank to back you up when you first start out as an owner/operator. Having money in the bank can make a huge difference in how you work and feel when you are on the road.

If you have cash flow problems, you may be forced to accept loads you don't really want. If you have a bit of coin behind you, you can afford to be more selective. You can also afford to take a day or two off when you wish.

Driving for a fleet owner provides the ideal opportunity to build a cash reserve. It takes very little money to start that way. The fleet owner puts up the money for the truck and truck expenses. You pay your startup costs for things like DOT physical, CDL testing, transportation to fleet owner's location, etc. (these expenses vary with fleet owners). When you drive, fuel is your biggest expense up front with taxes behind that (assuming you are running profitably).

If you manage your money well and keep your debt under control, and if you are running with a good carrier and fleet owner, you can build a nice pile of cash using someone else's truck.

Cash is King! Not only does it relieve stress on the road, it gives you bargaining power when it comes to finance a truck of your own. If you have more money than is required for a down payment, and reserves behind that, and a good credit rating, you can shop around and find a better interest rate than the first deal a dealer's finance department will offer. That can save you thousands of dollars over the life of your truck loan and make your day-to-day cash flow that much easier to manage.

Starting with a fleet owner and building your cash reserves also gives you time to see other trucks, talk to other drivers, and learn what you want and don't want in a truck of your own.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Did I read this right? Says "do not drive for an o/o" So I have company in my line of thinking. I could not work for anyone no offense to any of you out there o/o it is attainable determination, LUCK, and more determination plus a whole lot of common sense I think I have some left now that I do own a truck. I Agree not everyone is cut out to work for an O/O and a team is out of the question for me no offense again to teams just me and who I am. Thanks for the subject enjoyed reading this one.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Did I read this right? Says "do not drive for an o/o" So I
>have company in my line of thinking. I could not work for
>anyone no offense to any of you out there o/o it is
>attainable determination, LUCK, and more determination plus
>a whole lot of common sense I think I have some left now
>that I do own a truck. I Agree not everyone is cut out to
>work for an O/O and a team is out of the question for me no
>offense again to teams just me and who I am. Thanks for the
>subject enjoyed reading this one.

I agree 100%. While advice to enter the business by driving for a fleet owner first is very good advice in many cases, people - newbies and experienced drivers giving advice - should not overlook the fact that a good number of today's successful expeditiers jumped straight in as owner/operators.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Well Guys & Gals. Don't get me wrong aout my posting. What happened to me can happen to anyone. All I was saying was. Drive for someone else to make sure this Lifestyle is for you before you make that big investment. If and when you do make that investment, make sure you can afford the payments and all of the expenses of owning a big truck before jumping in. I agree that being your own Boss, is best suited for me also. I always loved to drive and I wanted a Big truck to do it in. Now I'm setting where I want to be, and can enjoy driving. I really missed it, and am excited to get started again. EO has helped me a lot and I Thank all of you for being there when needed. Drive Safely...Butch :D :D :D

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
FlameMerc

Your advice is dead on target!

I've met Broompilot and have spoken with him on a number of occasions. He is an exception to the rule...headstrong and determined to succeed regardless of the obstacles that he is faced with. He is also in a strong position financially to weather the learning curve and the slower times that occur for all of us.
If you are determined to start with your own truck, you had better have the same kind of detemination and burning desire, and a large bankroll. Otherwise your head will be filled with the very real possibility that you may not make it.
FlameMerc also points out that the lifestyle may not suit you.
With the pressures of truck payments and other financal responsibilities, coupled with the change of lifestyle and a few lean weeks, many newcomers see the venture as one that is not worthwhile, and get out before the whirpool sucks them into oblivion. I've spoken to many new O/O who have asked me to buy their newly purchased trucks, a couple have been able to move to another company and make it
but most sell their trucks at prices well below what they recently paid for them.

Best of luck to FlameMerc...and welcome back ... again !!!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Hey FlameMerc. So you were one of those courteous, helpful, careful dock guys I read so much about? What GM plant did you retire from? Just curious. :+ :+

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Thanks Tom, I appreciate that coming from you. To your question theoldprof. I was in Flint Michigan at Plant 36 South dock. I worked North dock once in a while. Seeing that you brought that up. I have a short story to tell you all, about a Newbie Expediter. Pay attention if you have Roll up Door. This Driver backed into our dock with his door down. Our dock plates stick out and raise and slam down, when your truck hits the Dock. Well he had brand new truck and after he stuck the dock plate into his door he told us it was his first pickup. I felt really bad for the guy, but we had no way to tell him to stop in time. Our doors were closed in winter and couldn't see what he was doing until we opened the door. Make sure you open your roll up door before backing into a dock. Drive Safely..Butch :D :D :D

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A Lesson from the Stockbroker
A True Story by Weave

I was looking for a new or newer truck to replace my aging Freightliner FL70 expediter back in May, 2002. One stop I planned on was a well known Kenworth dealer in Ft Wayne, IN, who sold a popular expedite buildup of Kenworth’s T300 model. Having some time off in that area, I stopped in with my FL70, and checked out what this dealer had on their lot.

The salesman had one brand new “leftover” 2001 T300 built and ready to go, a new “leftover” 2001 cab and chassis, and another built up T300 with a lot of custom accessories on it, which the salesman explained to me was a slightly used 2001 unit for sale on consignment.

This customized truck looked REALLY nice. It was ordered from the factory with dual exhausts, had loads of running lights, polished stainless steel tanks, full expediter specs, custom Bentz sleeper, the works. I asked the salesman how much, he said he didn’t know, but he guaranteed he would be able to sell me the brand new one he had ready to go for less than what was wanted for this used truck. I then became more interested in the story behind this used truck than in what I was supposed to be there at the dealer for!

I took the new ready to roll T300 for a test ride, and compiled some facts and figures for financing. These leftovers (in 2002) were priced at $69,000. The dealer explained they order 10 new T300’s a year, and they were still waiting for their batch of new 2002’s to arrive. They sell the new units for $100,000. I asked why the leftovers were so much cheaper, despite still being brand new. He explained that although they would like to sell them for more, the banks and finance companies will only offer loans for their current market value, and they have to allow for the first year of depreciation. It makes the leftovers an incredible bargain, but he said they usually sell all the new units for the $100k and don’t have any leftovers.

While inside, I enquired about the used unit again. The dealer told me it was purchased by a retired stockbroker from Wisconsin who wanted to go trucking. He planned everything out ahead of time, even to the point of how he wanted the truck to be customized. He had no previous truck driving experience, but was positive he wanted to enter the business because he loved to travel, and never had time to do so with his previous career. He wanted a comfortable truck that looked nice, yet one that could bring him some income also. That was his reason for choosing the proven T300 D unit.

The dealer informed me this man purchased the truck at a price of $110,000, having borrowed some money against the collateral in his house. He financed the truck through the same hometown bank that mortgaged his house, the dealer even showed me a copy of the bank check. (I was laughing a little bit in disbelief, thus the proof.) The dealer then told me this man was one of those guys he wished he could have just said no to, but can’t when they walk in the door and hand him the check. This man had plenty of money available at his fingertips, and cash reserves.

The retired stockbroker took delivery of the truck in April, 2001, and ran the truck for approximately 5000 miles over about six weeks. The dealer then received the phone call he knew he would be getting. It was the stockbroker, asking if he could put the truck up for sale on his lot.

The dealer told him that would be fine, but he should be prepared for it to sit for a while. The stockbroker, in amazement, asked why, figuring the still nearly new truck should sell quickly. When the dealer told him the truck has taken its first year of depreciation along with being used, it only has a market value of $70,000 or less now, despite the low mileage and accessories, and that would be about the most anyone would be able to get financing for on it. He could sell the new leftovers he had for about the same price. The stockbroker was in shock finding out that six weeks and 5000 miles could be an approximately $40,000 loss to him.
His reasons for wanting to give up the truck? After driving it for a few weeks, he learned quickly that he did not like trucking, and was absolutely terrified of handling the truck in busy traffic and inclement weather. Good reasons to not want to drive it in the first place were my thoughts, and the cost of this guy to learn a silly lesson ended up being nearly the price I paid for the used truck I wound up buying.

If this story does not re-enforce some of the many good reasons for the newcomer to start out driving for a fleet owner to gain business knowledge applicable to trucking and to know one’s self better, I simply do not know what else it will take. Mr. Stockbroker could have MADE money in that six weeks by driving someone else’s truck learning he did not like trucking instead of losing tens of thousands of dollars to discover that fact. This case probably showed a lack of overall research prior to entering the business on the stockbroker’s part, but research or past career experiences or all the money available in the world aren’t going to tell you if you like or can handle driving a truck, only testing the waters will, which is the only stage the stockbroker spent his money to reach. His prior business knowledge failed to account for many other things that he probably would have picked up on with fleet owner practice too prior to having made the wasted truck purchase. Remember reality is what is happening now or what has happened, and hindsight is always 20/20!

-Weave-

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Newbie's...

Please note... Weave is an owner/operator...not an owner and he has nothing to gain with his advice. Writing a story like this takes talent but more importantly also takes a good deal of time.

My point?

There are people in this industry in many different positions, O/O’s like Weave,McBride,RichM,FlameMerc,Raceman and many others...Owners like davekc, and yes even carriers such as me, who have repeatedly voiced concern for those entering the industry. Most of us posting are not in a position to be able to hire newbies into our particular company or to be able to place a newbie in one of our trucks.
All of those concerned have strongly recommended that your initial time spent in the industry should be with an honest, established truck owner. We do this time and time again because those of us who care about our industry also care about those entering into it. Each of us have posted stories of those who have lost sizeable investments finding out that they don’t enjoy the lifestyle, or that they numbers promised by some recruiters were nowhere near the numbers earned. The financial loss to the stockbroker may not have made a significant difference in his way of life, however there are few considering this industry that could say the same.

Please pay attention and seek advice from other drivers to find those honest and experienced owners who are more than willing to let you learn the industry in one of their trucks.

Check the credentials of those posting advice and most who are truly interested in helping others will not only correspond with you privately, but probably be able to direct you to the kind of owner that will help you along your way.

Weave... Did you ever think of writing magazine articles???

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Well written posts guys.. and I've long thought Weave should be a tech writer!

Dreamer

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>If this story does not re-enforce some of the many good
>reasons for the newcomer to start out driving for a fleet
>owner to gain business knowledge applicable to trucking and
>to know one’s self better, I simply do not know what else it
>will take.

Weave,

Your stockbroker story does exactly that...it re-enforces some of the many good reasons for the newcomer to start out driving for a fleet owner. But what about all the other stories that also support other points of view? Are those stories not just as true and just as instructive?

There are stories about people that jumped into expediting as owner operators and succeeded. There are stories about people that did the same and failed. So to with drive-for-fleet-owner-first stories. Some that did succeeded. Some that did failed.

Expediting is a large industry that offers many ways to skin the cat. There is no single right way or wrong way to do it. Different people have different skills and different ways of getting things done. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about being profitable or not.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
I really don't understand.

Why do you continue to support the notion of entering the business as an owner operator?

You certainly did not enter that way!

The point is that those who enter and fail to make it as a driver

for an owner don't lose substantial sums of MONEY !

Post your credentials so all can see what your expediting background is!

skittles

Expert Expediter
Tom,

I reread ATeam's response along with your respone to them and I don't understand why you made that comment to ATeam. ATeam was making an honest comment about how some fail and some succeed as a fleet driver or an owner. They said that some fail as drivers and some fail as owners and some succeed in both.

I have spent many hours reading threads to gain knowledge in this business to prepare myself with the what to do and what not to do's.

IMHO, you tend to turn almost everything around that the ATeam writes. I don't know what it is that you have against them, other than perhaps envy that a team that hasn't been in the expedite business that long is doing an excellent job.

I will not deny that sometimes ATeam gets out of hand, but I believe it's when they are provoked and/or challenged. What I do see is a total dislike to a team that shares their opinions as many others do on this forum.

As my father has always said, if you can't say something nice, than don't say anything at all.

Skittles

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Skittles...

Did you read this entire thread? Perhaps you should read it again.
If you have been reading for hours and hours then you must have missed several threads pertaining to former Newbies many of us know personally who have lost vehicles, homes and even marriages from making the entry into our industry as an owner operator.

I have nothing against ATeam other than at time I find his post to perspective entries into this industry to be a tad enthusiastic and therefore considered by many in this forum to be misleading.

I noticed that you just joined this forum today and that this is your first post. I find it odd that you would choose to enter our community with the comments you made, without knowing the real history behind this controversy. Most Newbies arrive with questions rather than advice.

You have missed the point of the entire thread and focused on an issue that you know very little if anything about.

I have said nothing that is not true, and I have very simply asked for a signature line from another member.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
this is the second "first time poster,brand new member" in as many weeks to jump right in and start attacking established members of this forum. coincidence? i think not!!!DD. x( x(

skittles

Expert Expediter
I have read this thread in detail and my interpretation is to start out as a driver. Time and time again, it has been reiterated for those starting out in this business to work for someone else to gain experience, understand this business and determine if this is right for you (me).

So many people have "jumped in" as an O/O without having a clue what they are going to expect. They have high dreams of making huge dollars or find that it's not the right lifestyle for them. In some cases, family emergencies arise that were unforeseen and they had no choice but to bail out.

As goes for the first post, this is my first post speaking up for myself. My partner and I have posted on this forum as a team, but he is currently an OTR and I didn't want to post my comment without discussing it with him first and he is unavailable.

I have learned a great deal from this forum and will continue to do so. One can say that I'm very analytical and extremely conservative and value the dollar. I've done research, spoke to expediters, prepared a business plan and am prepared to take the next step into becoming an expediter.

This forum and those I have spoken with have taught both my partner and I a great deal as to what to expect. Hopefully we will be ready the end of February to begin this new career.

Dave Johnson

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I have nothing against ATeam other than at time I find his
>post to perspective entries into this industry to be a tad
>enthusiastic and therefore considered by many in this forum
>to be misleading.
>

>I have said nothing that is not true, and I have very simply
>asked for a signature line from another member.

I don't post here very much, since I left expediting some time ago.. but it seems I'm missing a few things here.

Now, I was here a long time ago, and I understand Ateam is very upbeat in his views. But where is the crime in that? As I read the post, I see him simply saying that driving for an owner is not the ONLY way to go, that some have 'jumped in' and made it. What's wrong with that? Did EVERY poster on here drive for an owner first, or 'jump in'? Rich, Dave, Dreamer, ??? Did you all drive for an owner first?

Yes it is the preferred way.. but not the ONLY way...I think THAT was the point he was making.

I think this obsession with peoples credentials is going to mess up this board.

Who is to decide who has the right to advise anyone? If I drove 5 years in expedite, but now work local, does that mean I'm not welcome because I'm not driving expedite now, even tho I know a lot about it?

If a newbie just started out driving a truck, and found some secret to profitable truck maintenance, should he not share, because he's a newbie, and therefore hasn't been around enough to advise all the 'experienced drivers'????

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, this credentials thing is simply giving predjudicial people another excuse to say "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY BECAUSE I'M THE OLDEST, BEST, ETC"...

Seems like the inmates runing the asylum to me...

But what does it matter what I say, I'm not a real driver, so I have no right to post here anyway.

Dave Johnson