Truckstops

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
In your opinion what's the cleanest, safest and personal favorite truckstop?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While neither is the cleanest both are safe and have great restaurants. TA Morris IL and the ol' TTT on Tucson AZ

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The TA at Albert Lea MN. As safe as a truck stop can be, clean most of the time, food is not as bad as the rest of the TA's. Jubitz in Portland, OR. Always felt safe there. Mostly clean and food is OK. The "Fort" in Lebenon, NH. Limited amenities, safe, very good food. Mostly clean.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
The TA at Albert Lea MN. As safe as a truck stop can be, clean most of the time, food is not as bad as the rest of the TA's.
The TA in Albert Lea is now a Petro. (Spending the weekend here now). What Layout said, very nice place. So is the Petro 2 in Clearwater, MN. Awesome food and bakery. Also, the Petro in Joplin, MO. and the one in Mebane, NC. (Seeing a trend here? Petro)

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
While neither is the cleanest both are safe and have great restaurants. TA Morris IL and the ol' TTT on Tucson AZ

I must agree the TA in Morris has an awesome restaurant. I go frequently there when I can as I work on the south side of Morris.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Whatever ain't a Pilot. They're just overgrown Kwik-E-Marts.

I think Petros are among the best, followed by TAs and Js, most of which are at least decent. Independents can be good too; Shoemaker's at exit 395 on 80 in Nebraska is a pretty decent place :)

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The petros are by far the best as far as chains go, I like the carnesville ga, the petro in Scranton pa is good but the Iowa-80 is my favorite by far!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We like the TA and Petro brands for their fuel discounts (available through our carrier) and consistently clean showers. Food-wise, we can say little because we rarely eat at truck stops. Safety-wise, there is no such thing as a safe truck stop. Anytime you are parked in one, you are at risk of being hit by a trucker who is not paying attention. That is why we minimize our time at truck stops.

That said, the free bobtail parking area at the Petro in Bordentown, NJ is especially appreicated. Parking on the East Coast is tricky sometimes. They charge to park in the back lot. Talking expediter shop is easily done since many expediters park there.

If I had to name a favorite truck stop, the Iowa 80 TA in Walcott, IA gets the vote. This "World's Largest Truckstop" it is a truck stop and so much more.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Our trucks use TA and Petro. The Albert Lee truck stop in Mn is nice. My favorite one is north of Bismarck, ND off of 35. It's very nice and the woodwork is very nice.

Sent from my PH44100 using EO Forums mobile app

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
The Petro just west of Syracuse NY has a huge unpaved lot in back. It's easy to get away from all the people idling their trucks so it's nice and quiet. It pays to pay attention to which way the wind is blowing though, some garbage haulers park there. :)

There's a pretty good breakfast restaurant a 1/4 mile south on the same side of the street.

I stopped at the Petro in Albert Lea and they were preparing brisket for dinner in the restaurant. I wanted to stay but had to pick up a load. It looked mighty tasty.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I have to say I enjoy the Petro in Racine WI...not the safest, I'm sure spongebox remembers the lot lizard incident but the O&H Danish Bakery inside is absolutely wonderful!
The Petro in Kenly, NC is not bad also but my favorite truck stop so far is the Iowa 80....I love wandering around inside looking at all the neat stuff they have.

Last edited:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
New Flying J in Cotulla, Tx. It's totally different from any other J we have been too. No other vanners hang out there yet close enough to Laredo to get loads but far enough away to stay out of the chaos. Nice lounge to get out of the heat. They even have an frozen yogurt bar.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New Flying J in Cotulla, Tx. It's totally different from any other J we have been too. No other vanners hang out there yet close enough to Laredo to get loads but far enough away to stay out of the chaos. Nice lounge to get out of the heat. They even have an frozen yogurt bar.

Is that the new one?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Is that the new one?

Yup that is the new one on the west side of I-35. There is no waiting on showers. You don't have 25 other expeditors wanting to talk shop. Nice and peaceful at this point until the word gets out.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cleanest? The one nearest me when I'm in Emergency mode.

Safest: ditto

Personal Favorite: same

It's sad when you take notice of an exceptionally clean restroom instead of adding it to your list of OMG places to stop. And as a tall, healthy farm girl, I still encounter rest areas and truck stops that make me nervous. I have defensive tactics I use for self-protection, but some places are **** scary at 3 am. And my favorite truck stop is the one that offers up exactly what I need when I need it.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The Petro & TA seem to be the favorite amongst the expeditors, there all generally clean and for the most part safe. I am surprised to not find many independents on the list, the Plainview travel plaza in Wisconsin is pretty good IMHO, the Mr fuel in Indianapolis is fairly clean, safe and has a decent selection of food in there hot case. We have not been to the upper west coast yet and would like some input on what to expect in the way of truckstops in that area!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Petro & TA seem to be the favorite amongst the expeditors, there all generally clean and for the most part safe. I am surprised to not find many independents on the list, the Plainview travel plaza in Wisconsin is pretty good IMHO, the Mr fuel in Indianapolis is fairly clean, safe and has a decent selection of food in there hot case. We have not been to the upper west coast yet and would like some input on what to expect in the way of truckstops in that area!

Fuel discounts are better at the TA's and Petro's. Also the shower credits work at either chain. Points help but are not the biggest draw.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Fuel discounts are better at the TA's and Petro's. Also the shower credits work at either chain. Points help but are not the biggest draw.

The TA and petros are generally laid out better with fuel desk usually away from the front where the 4-wheelers need to go, most have separate areas for professional drivers. IMO they cater to us much better than the pilot/flying j chain. And you can use the points to purchase cigarettes!