The dog days of summer: AUGUST!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How many "DPH" is YOUR life worth? $25? $50? $3? The CPM is only a part of what we need to be looking at.

I believe that we are selling ourselves short. I KNOW I am, which is why I am not planning, at least right now, to buy a new truck. That is why I am looking for "other means" to support us. My time is worth FAR more than FDCC, the shippers, etc, are willing to pay. It is no longer worth it.

One can only get what the market is prepared to pay/support....I am semi happy at the level I am at.....I could always use more but that is the norm.....LOL But lately the quality of life has slipped....I too I am considering a change....Like OUT as you are....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One can only get what the market is prepared to pay/support....I am semi happy at the level I am at.....I could always use more but that is the norm.....LOL But lately the quality of life has slipped....I too I am considering a change....Like OUT as you are....

I am far less than happy with the money, even less with the life style. I spend FAR too much time working for FAR too little money. Then, to make it worse, I spend WAY too little time enjoying the things I enjoy. That is a very bad combination.

It's NOT the total dollars made. One of the things I am looking at will be making less than I do now. The BIG difference is that I would be fishing, hunting, etc, several days a week. That would bring my weight down even faster. No more urine soaked truck stop lots. No more breathing diesel fumes day and night.

In other words, I would have a LIFE, one that I enjoy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am far less than happy with the money, even less with the life style. I spend FAR too much time working for FAR too little money. Then, to make it worse, I spend WAY too little time enjoying the things I enjoy. That is a very bad combination.

It's NOT the total dollars made. One of the things I am looking at will be making less than I do now. The BIG difference is that I would be fishing, hunting, etc, several days a week. That would bring my weight down even faster. No more urine soaked truck stop lots. No more breathing diesel fumes day and night.

In other words, I would have a LIFE, one that I enjoy.

Same here....too much idle time between loads....too much time invested for the pay back...I am NOT getting any younger to sit out here for days on end and make NO money....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
unfortunately...its not a carrier problem..its the market....you can't run steady without going cheap....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Same here....too much idle time between loads....too much time invested for the pay back...I am NOT getting any younger to sit out here for days on end and make NO money....

You got that right! Now your TINKIN! What is the "ROI" on your LIFE? THAT is the most important number we need to be looking at!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which is why it's time to consider other options.

Exactly......that is why I got my plow position and hopefully make it home in time for the harvesters to see if I can go out as a trainee and learn about combining.....a little income in the winter and a little at harvest time....that would suit my need....and a need new line for my pole!!!....LOL

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Exactly......that is why I got my plow position and hopefully make it home in time for the harvesters to see if I can go out as a trainee and learn about combining.....a little income in the winter and a little at harvest time....that would suit my need....and a need new line for my pole!!!....LOL

I am looking at pulling some strings at a local park, to run their marina. I have 5 years experience working in a marina and the one I am looking at is FAR smaller and less involved than where I worked. It is NOT a year around job, I would have hunting seasons off.

IF I can get that I will rent a slip at the marina. THEN either before, or after, work, I could just hope in my boat and head out on the Lake. The boat would be in the water about 8 months a year. Life would be grand.

I will be talking with some people on this subject in late Sept. Who know what will happen but I have to give it a shot!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am looking at pulling some strings at a local park, to run their marina. I have 5 years experience working in a marina and the one I am looking at is FAR smaller and less involved than where I worked. It is NOT a year around job, I would have hunting seasons off.

IF I can get that I will rent a slip at the marina. THEN either before, or after, work, I could just hope in my boat and head out on the Lake. The boat would be in the water about 8 months a year. Life would be grand.

I will be talking with some people on this subject in late Sept. Who know what will happen but I have to give it a shot!

This expediting is getting whackier by the week....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kind of suited Joe.....LMAO

download3_zps4e08df63.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This expediting is getting whackier by the week....

That it is.

We looked at some other businesses while we were home and talked with some people. As with expediting, the ROI on life moments spent for the monetary returns where not good.

I am now "networking". I know a LOT of people and am letting everyone I know what I am looking to do. Something will fall out if I shake enough trees.

I have a "base income" that I earn without lifting a finger. I only need to supplement that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That it is.

We looked at some other businesses while we were home and talked with some people. As with expediting, the ROI on life moments spent for the monetary returns where not good.

I am now "networking". I know a LOT of people and am letting everyone I know what I am looking to do. Something will fall out if I shake enough trees.

I have a "base income" that I earn without lifting a finger. I only need to supplement that.

Same here....Good luck with your endeavors.......:)

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Dogs chewed my glasses to death Monday so I've been blind all week. New ones should be here tomorrow then back in seevice

f4ftrucker

Rookie Expediter
My dispatch just messaged me to tell me we got a run from Houston to Theodore AL just waiting on the info

lesbian corner