Canada Super Singles / Permit

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We were listening to Business and Beyond the other night and a Canadian called in that had just received a $1,100.00 fine in Quebec for not having a permit for Super Singles. From what I understand the legal weight you can haul with S/S is pretty minimal unless you have the permit. He was overweight for a single tire and no permit.

From the tone of the call and after a few questions to Kevin Rutherford at a different time it sounds as if most of the provinces require this permit. Ontario is not one if I understand correctly.

Have you guys heard of this permit and if so what is the weight and where do you buy the permit? Is the permit good for the year or just single use?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I need the rules for Canada as it looks as if we need a permit for many of the provinces.
No OVM I have not checked with a scale house in Canada just learned of this permit. I do not want to accept a load into Quebec and have this problem and have to buy the permit as I am sure the load will not pay enough to do this. If we do have to buy a permit I would like to know about it before we accept a load not after we accept a load.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
heres some rules....interestiing reading...about allowable weights on SS tires....BUT no mention of any permit as the tires are allowed.....

Today?s Trucking.com: The Truck News Site - Canadian website and magazine publishing information and content on truck news, trucking regulations, trucking industry, fleet management, owners/operators and the latest in trucking products and trucking

Trucks and Trailers, Canadian directory of new, used trucks, new, used trailers, for sale, lease, rent, truck and trailer parts, truck and trailer dealers, fleets and manufacturers.

By the look of the allowable weights you have no worries....

Remember they are talking kilograms...not pounds...

2.2 kilos = 1 pound

The province still has a bit to go if it's going to match Quebec, which became the first Canadian province to eliminate the weight penalty for using single wide-based tires in Canada. By raising the standard from 8,000 to 9,000 kg and thereby removing the 1,000 kg penalty, Quebec truckers can now interchange wide-base tires or dual tires under the same load standards.

Ontario, which at the start of 2006 also increased its super single limit from 6,000 kg to 8,000 per axle, is currently testing wide-base tires before making a decision to follow Quebec and allow full parity.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since PQ has parity of the tires now...he would have been over weight with regular duallys as well...

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US legal weights are OK with single tires in ON and QC. Out west I'm not sure of. Michelin (Michelin Canada anyways) has all the latest info available if you phone them, they have the driving force in getting Quebec and Ontario to wake up and realize these tires are a "good" thing. There are a lot of Quebec carriers running these tires on US spec (80k lbs) TT's (DFS, Robert, some Transforce co's)

If you don't get any answers PM me Linda, I'll phone my old Michelin rep and get some answers for you.

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
US legal weights are OK with single tires in ON and QC. Out west I'm not sure of. Michelin (Michelin Canada anyways) has all the latest info available if you phone them, they have the driving force in getting Quebec and Ontario to wake up and realize these tires are a "good" thing. There are a lot of Quebec carriers running these tires on US spec (80k lbs) TT's (DFS, Robert, some Transforce co's)

If you don't get any answers PM me Linda, I'll phone my old Michelin rep and get some answers for you.

keep in mind in spring the axle weight change in Quebec for period of 3 month or so(even with permit) its called the THAW period, google it.if you driving a single axle or tandem , you have to have IRP plate with Quebec listed on it,the THAW law applie for IRP plate too.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I been reading a little on the THAW period and how that affects the widebases singles and a permit.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We were stopped at a scalehouse in Quebec a few months ago and they asked if we had a permit for running SS. After a weight check, said we didn't need one. We only had about 500lbs on.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
heres some rules....interestiing reading...about allowable weights on SS tires....BUT no mention of any permit as the tires are allowed.....

Today?s Trucking.com: The Truck News Site - Canadian website and magazine publishing information and content on truck news, trucking regulations, trucking industry, fleet management, owners/operators and the latest in trucking products and trucking

Trucks and Trailers, Canadian directory of new, used trucks, new, used trailers, for sale, lease, rent, truck and trailer parts, truck and trailer dealers, fleets and manufacturers.

By the look of the allowable weights you have no worries....

Remember they are talking kilograms...not pounds...

2.2 kilos = 1 pound

The province still has a bit to go if it's going to match Quebec, which became the first Canadian province to eliminate the weight penalty for using single wide-based tires in Canada. By raising the standard from 8,000 to 9,000 kg and thereby removing the 1,000 kg penalty, Quebec truckers can now interchange wide-base tires or dual tires under the same load standards.

Ontario, which at the start of 2006 also increased its super single limit from 6,000 kg to 8,000 per axle, is currently testing wide-base tires before making a decision to follow Quebec and allow full parity.

I Believe that 2.2 Pounds = 1 Kilo:D

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Metric is so much simpler than imperial or US measurements. it's all based on base 10.
Anywho on the SS part I saw a sprinter 3500 with large singles on. It kinda looked funny as the tires sat inboard so much. If those were more outboard and then cut the wheelwells out you could make the floor much wider there for skids.
Rob