Sprinter PM results

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They've never drained my torque converter. Mercedes said they can't. Maybe mechanics just didn't want to do it.

They just don't want to.... I've had mine done even helped turning it to get the bolt hole facing down....it's a bit of a pain but that is what I thought I paid for

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Nick had to show one mechanic how to do it. That's when we started doing our own

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the converter isn't drained it isn't worth doing IMNHO.

I have changed transmission fluid and filters in many different vehicles and the sprinter is by far the easiest one I have ever done. There are drain plugs in the pan and converter and the pan has a gasket that stays in place when trying to reinstall it.

My only gripe is the price of the fluid...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have changed transmission fluid and filters in many different vehicles and the sprinter is by far the easiest one I have ever done. There are drain plugs in the pan and converter and the pan has a gasket that stays in place when trying to reinstall it.

My only gripe is the price of the fluid...
then you should buy the fluid online 75% less then the dealers price....about 7 bucks instead of $20

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
then you should buy the fluid online 75% less then the dealers price....about 7 bucks instead of $20

I do buy it online, thankfully we sprinter owners have europarts to rely on.

By the way, since the normal change interval is 60k for that transmission, for me it started to shudder again after 50k, if you put a bottle of this in there the shudder will be gone until you change the fluid.

K&W Products/7 oz. Posi-Trac gear oil additive (2508) | Gear Oil Additive | AutoZone.com

Advance also has this, and I would bet Oriley's does also.

Now it will say on the bottle not to put this in the transmission, but its ok, the additives in this product will replenish what is missing in the fluid that causes the shudder. I have put this in mine and within a couple of miles the shudder is gone.

From what I have read, the shudder happens because the clutches are grabbing when they should be slipping and that additive will make the clutches slip like they are supposed to.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have always heard shudder is from sticking valves.

I know wayne has a trick to get rid of it.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wayne can stop the shudder, for good. One little hole drilled in the right spot.

You are talking about RSN, which yes, a perfectly placed hole will cause the noise to stop, but as expediters, we should not do that to the transmissions, should only be done to sprinters that are used for city driving most of the time.

The shudder I am talking about is due to worn out fluid, 2 different problems.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are talking about RSN, which yes, a perfectly placed hole will cause the noise to stop, but as expediters, we should not do that to the transmissions, should only be done to sprinters that are used for city driving most of the time.

The shudder I am talking about is due to worn out fluid, 2 different problems.

No I do not think it is two different problems. The cause of the shudder are the same. No way for the high PSI of the fluid to release in time before the shudder. The RSN is due to the transmission getting out of PSI rating, the shudder from 45 to 55 MPH is the same thing, but more of a problem. The drilled hole release's both and no more RSN or shudder.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rumble Strip Noise- Cured - Sprinter-Forum

I hope that by posting that link im not breaking any rules, but it goes into detail about RSN and if you read some of the posts by the good doctor, you will see that the shudder is caused by worn out fluid, not RSN.

By the way, for anyone who does not know who doctor a is, he has forgotton more about sprinters that any of us will ever know.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rumble Strip Noise- Cured - Sprinter-Forum

I hope that by posting that link im not breaking any rules, but it goes into detail about RSN and if you read some of the posts by the good doctor, you will see that the shudder is caused by worn out fluid, not RSN.

By the way, for anyone who does not know who doctor a is, he has forgotton more about sprinters that any of us will ever know.

Going by Andy's #1 post- Being prevented from altering TCM software program maps, I used intentional
induction of TCM limp home mode to turn off TCC control and used the TCC
adaptation feature to manipulate TCC control intensity and was able to produced
useful data.

So he just turned off the TCC control unit.....

A good PM program will not allow you to have "Bad Fluid" in your transmission.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First post from doctor a on page 8 of that thread:

40k-50k should be a typical change interval for stop and go driving conditions.

A moderate to severe high load shudder is a stern warning that fluid change is overdue. Doktor A

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
UPDATE: new clutch fan and belt, had the fans cleaned out between them and had a whack of 5 years of build up between them...took it up 70 mph with the AC on and the temp was spot on..:D

and my noise is gone..:)

Yes Eddie I'll get that bug screen~~*L*

What id the temp your running at before and now?