Sprinter PM results

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are there any magic fuel additives for diesel that keep the engine clean and the turbo will oiled and clean, etc.
No magic in my opinion....just change your oil and keep your filters clean....I do use the cetane booster in bio states...but that may even be all in my mind..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Done with the dealer for today...changed the turbo resonator out, just because, but the EGR and electric aux fan are both dust....parts ordered, now I have the day off...:D

616K with original fan and EGR..not too shabby...

aileron

Expert Expediter
Are there any magic fuel additives for diesel that keep the engine clean and the turbo will oiled and clean, etc.

Sky, I have 410k on my sprinter and never used fuel additive. Been with it in temps down to -5. Now, if I have to go lower than that, I will add anti gelling additive. Changed fuel filters every 60k and never had one clog.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sky, I have 410k on my sprinter and never used fuel additive. Been with it in temps down to -5. Now, if I have to go lower than that, I will add anti gelling additive. Changed fuel filters every 60k and never had one clog.

I can tell ya...at -50/-60 I've used NO anti-gel...and not a problem....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I use fuel additives pretty consistently because of the ULSD and I have a 2006. I always ran them in the KW900 as well.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Why? because its a 06? ours are the same....

I could be wrong on this but to my knowledge it is the 07 and later models that were made with ULSD in mind and on earlier models there are problems with pump and injector lubrication.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could be wrong on this but to my knowledge it is the 07 and later models that were made with ULSD in mind and on earlier models there are problems with pump and injector lubrication.

I don't know of any of us that is having or had a problem with that......I use Power Service in the grey bottle for when I am in heavy Bio states....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
While it's not really known for sure, the indicators are the Black Death is caused by two things, one is the low Cetane we have here in North America, and the other is the ULSD. Using Power Service in every tank solves the Cetane problem, and since biodiesel adds lubricity but also leaves behind a lot of residue, Power Service (or I'd recommend Howes Meaner Kleaner) should be used to keep the injectors clean. The Black Death happens in Europe, too, but not nearly as frequently. They have 50 Cetane diesel.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

What additives are you using?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll also refer you to this thread:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/48578-re-sprinter-fuel-injectors.html

my little adventure this week...

I had a power issue this week....actually started last Thursday during a load to Neb. A shake in the engine, more like an missing sparkplug, a sort of tug....it came and it went. While driving to a dealer in Des Moines the engine light finally came on...I thought good...this will give the tech a reference point to hunt it down....did a fuel pressure test and found fuel filter pressure low and changed it...left and as soon as I got on the on ramp...NO getup and go...now in Newton at a Wally World idling for a minute and the engine starting shaking like the bottom end was going to fall out...back to the dealer....got on the ramp...viola I had power...?? Got to the dealer and it sat for 40 minutes..nothing not a tremor..nada. While this dealer accomadated me to get me on..the tech not once took it for a road test???

So off I go...picked up a load in Manchester Iowa to Garland Tx..power was on again off again...delivered and went down to Berry Dodge in Corsicana Tx because they'll dicker on prices and have 2 really good techs there...

First thing they do is a test drive..oh BTW no engine light. No stored codes. Now they do a pressure test on injector pump...failed....changed the pump..They took it for a drive APPEARED ok...I pay the bill hit the on ramp...Tada..NO power WTF!!, back I go...Standing next to the tech...and thankfully it starts that violent shaking right in front of him...GREAT...now he knows the exact problem..sensors on the fuel rail....problem is...ya just can't get the sensors alone they are built into the rail...another example of German OVER engineering...They over night a rail from Dallas...and whilst he is taking it apart...the tech comes over and says I have a external leak on the #2 injector appears to have just started so "Black Death" will not be an issue..it came out clean...Viola I am out of there....

Total between Des Moines and TX..about $3,200$.

Mind you I have now 632,000 miles on this system and it was all original equipment taken out and I haven't spent a cent on it before...It was more aggravation hunting down the problem then the cost issue...further more over 6 yrs. no money spent till now, that would average out to just $550 a year for this problem...not bad when ya look at the big picture...

Note to self...get 4 injectors from Euro parts for future install....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Same thing here, only in reverse order. Got engine codes for the fuel rail circuit. Replaced the fuel rail and then the high pressure injector pump showed itself in the road test. Had to replace that, as well.

There are two sensors on the fuel rail, one is a relatively cheap replacement, the other is integrated into the rail and is not serviceable. It used to be serviceable with the early models, but replacing it ended up causing more problems than it solved. It's more than just a sensor, it's also a valve of sort, and has kind of dual dial orifice that must be precisely set with essentially no tolerance (fractions of the width of a human hair). If incorrectly set, a cascade of problems ensue. So they did away with the replaceable sensor.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
an update on my sprinter....engine replacement this week....695,598 miles....timing chain went bad, including unforeseen internal damage because of that...a brand new factory reman is going in at one of the best services centers in the country....Lake Norman Dodge...was on the wrecker last Saturday...tech says he'll have me out Friday evening...

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
an update on my sprinter....engine replacement this week....694,456 miles....timing chain went bad, including unforeseen internal damage because of that...a brand new factory reman is going in at one of the best services centers in the country....Lake Norman Dodge...was on the wrecker last Saturday...tech says he'll have me out Friday evening...

Ur gonna hve to sell some pickles now,,big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got out of dealer on Sat. 1st load on Sunday....about 2500 miles so far and everything is hunky dory....last 2 fills....25.89, 25.82 at 62-63 mph and a 1200 lbs load during that...and at 65-66 mph 23.76 and 23.91 ....all is good...
AND why did Mercedes get rid of this engine? and replace it with one that might get 17-20 mph....Oh yeah EPA....nice going EPA

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Got out of dealer on Sat. 1st load on Sunday....about 2500 miles so far and everything is hunky dory....last 2 fills....25.89, 25.82 at 62-63 mph and a 1200 lbs load during that...and at 65-66 mph 23.76 and 23.91 ....all is good...
AND why did Mercedes get rid of this engine? and replace it with one that might get 17-20 mph....Oh yeah EPA....nice going EPA

Yeah, because of emissions.