January Banter and Location

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Sorry John .... Guess I shouldn't have showed Ken my iPhone... LOL

Good morning everyone I'm still searching for a Tim Hortons!

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
Ok JUJU here you go...

The Adventures of Rocketman

The load picked up in Grand Rapids and was to be one skid at 1090 lbs. Naturally it procreated whilst I was on the way, to 2 skids at 2250. I told the lady I had to call this in to make sure it was the right freight and she looked at me and said oh this is it, the weight of the skids made it heavier.
Wow....there are no words....
Anyhoo, the snow has just begun to fall as I leave the shipper. By the time I got to Chicago they had 5 or more inches on the ground. It was a bit slow going, but I had lots of time.
I get to a 4 way in Matteson and am waiting for the green light. Was talking to my girl on the phone about the snow and how bad it was when there is a bang and I rock forward in the seat. I look in the drive mirror and see the hood of a blue car wearing my bumper. Gotta go I said, I have been hit.
As it turned out, he was a pizza delivery driver for pizza hut...mmmm...pizza.
I get out, check the van for leaks, flats, and crunchies. The doors were fine and the freight was fine. Looked like pizza guy got the short end with busted headlight and hood folded up about a foot. I take a few pics for the kit call the po po bout a block away and we wait...and wait...and wait.
After 3 hours here comes the officer. Now I know I get older as each year goes by, but out of the car steps Alfred E Newman from the cover of Madd Magazine, uniform crisp and ironed, but so baggy if the wind blew harder he would have been rendered nekked, lol. In fact, were it not for Barneys gun belt, it could have been all bad for the lad. I say lad because it looked to me like he may have graduated hs the day prior to this event...wow.
So I need a name and badge number from him. He says the number followed by Rockett. I said scuse me? He stops, turns to me, smiles and says Officer Rrrrrrockett.
Again in the same day, I find myself at a loss for words. Priceless.
So after that is fin, I get on the ramp and turn s on 57. Perhaps 5 miles down the road I nearly lose control of the vehicle. Time to call dispatch as it was too nasty.
Here I am met with, how great the load pays and it is a hot hot hot load. If it doesnt deliver on time thier production line will shut down.
I know, you are all going well I would have stopped. I still have military mentality firmly entrenched in my nugget, follow the directive as it were, gripe about it later.
Ever so slowly, I press on.
Hot load...was that supposed to melt the snow and ice? Part the Red Sea perhaps?
The load, by the way, was dispatched by Caryn who told me it was normal rate with a few extra bucks for 185 mile dh.
To others it meant it pays great, time for that miracle....ok.
Before she told me the rate, I asked her if it paid alot, she said do you ever get paid alot? I paused and said no. we both laughed and I accepted.
Soooo, I get passed Champagn Il. And the snow promptly turns to freezing rain about 48 miles north of Effingham. Defrosters couldnt even keep up. I found myself on the shoulder every 3 miles scraping.
24 miles from Effingham brought to a convoy of trucks and cars at avg spd of 4mph. This extended all the way to the pilot. The roads were sheets of glass. In that short space I counted 15 assorted smashed rigs and roughly the same in cars including a sheriffs transport van.
It took 12.5 hours to go through the storm and accident to effingham.
The next day drove 1198 straight. Stopped for a wash and fuel. Got to laredo at 10 till 5 in the am. Parked in front of ovm slept for 1.44 and delivered the hot load at 11am.
Note that the delivery time was 8am what a shocker.
On a side note, Brandon expressed great appreciation for a job well done. I thank him, it was nice to hear.
And, Dennis? I Arrived 3 hours early and delivered 3 hours late...take that, lol.
You all have a great day!
Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dropped in Troy Mich...ran the 40 miles down to the yard in Taylor...3 sprinters ahead of me...so, I am heading home...:D

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i thought there was a link on EO for the app but couldnt tell you where. i am still old school and post through the internet via my EVO 4G. works for me as i am not that technologically advanced.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
i thought there was a link on EO for the app but couldnt tell you where. i am still old school and post through the internet via my EVO 4G. works for me as i am not that technologically advanced.

American Scott tried looking for it but could not find it on this site....I am with you...right now over my pay grade...but I did manage to voice text John and warn him.....LOL

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As per usual...a great story from Scott! :)

and now you're all in trouble...Ken's got his new phone...:D

Heck of a way to get a new bumper Scott. :D

Trouble is incorrect. Armageddon is at hand. :eek:

Temp here at Taylor has dropped 7 degrees in the last hour.

Matilda's older sister Beatrice came out to play this morning making for a crappy day.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums