Generator Mounting Options

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I finally broke down and bought one of those 2000 watt inverter generators. Carrying it inside is not an option, smells and could possibly lose loads over the fuel inside the van. Now, what is the best way to mount it on a GM CV? I have been thinking about installing a front receiver hitch and mounting the generator and a larger fuel tank inside a vented aluminum trailer tongue box. This would put about an extra 120# - 150# on the front of the van. I'm figuring 50# for the gen and 40# for 5 gallons of fuel and then the weight of the receiver, basket and box. This would be out of the way and very convenient. My other option is installing a swing away rear mount. This means unlatching and swinging out the box at each stop. A little worried about that in the worst of winter with the coupler getting iced up. What are your opinions and could some of you please attach pictures of what you have done or have seen done. Now just need to get a heater, TV and microwave. I will eventually get this van just the way I want it, probably about when it's time to replace it! LOL Thanks, as always, for your advise. Bill

alum box.jpg

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I to ran into the same problem. I think the front reciever is like you say good but what about engine heat. I have struggled with that. Water temp will run about the same but with most C/Vans not having an engine temp/guage it is questionable. I would not put it on the front w/out an Engine Temp guage. I am specing a new vehicle and think I'm going to do the swing away on the back with a compartment for the unit. Chef Dennis did something like that on his C/Max. Don't know if he still has it.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think OVM or turtle has a post back a couple months ago mounting it on a swingarm.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van has a water temp gauge Isn't that the same as an engine temp gauge? I was going to build a box as low and tapered forward as the generator/fuel tank would allow. In the city the fan should draw enough air flow and on the road air is moving everywhere. I wasn't anticipating a cooling problem, but its a good idea to think more about that.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It isn't that hard to add a temp gauge. I've done it, in fact I had to build up an entire instrument panel. Not fun but it had to be done.

Unless you completely block the grill I doubt that you'll have a cooling issue anyway. It's hard to see how you could block the grill. The receiver will stick out some and you have to clear the front bumper. As it happens, I saw the front mount a couple of times, most recent a couple of days ago on a Ford van. It didn't look as though he would have any cooling problems with his set-up.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Guido has the front mount on his Ford Spartan body van. I like his setup alot. I would talk to him about it. I know he had one center mount reciever and it would rock side to side some. He was planning on changing it up a little bit to stabilize it. With that improvement, it would be a nice setup.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guido has the front mount on his Ford Spartan body van. I like his setup alot. I would talk to him about it. I know he had one center mount reciever and it would rock side to side some. He was planning on changing it up a little bit to stabilize it. With that improvement, it would be a nice setup.

A couple of shock cords might help stabilize it. Any kind of link on one side or the other would do it, too.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My van has a water temp gauge Isn't that the same as an engine temp gauge? I was going to build a box as low and tapered forward as the generator/fuel tank would allow. In the city the fan should draw enough air flow and on the road air is moving everywhere. I wasn't anticipating a cooling problem, but its a good idea to think more about that.

Water temp is just that "Water Temp". Engine temp measures the heat in the engine.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van has a water temp gauge Isn't that the same as an engine temp gauge?

Yes and No.
So, here is my auto tech lecture.....

The temp guage tells you what the coolant temp is, typicaly within 5 to 10 degrese F. of the actual engine temp newer units are more acccurate but not by much. It will not tell you what your under hood, lube oil, exhaust or your transmission temps are. These are just as important as coolant temp because all this heat has to go somwhere and with newer trucks and vans that means the engine block transmission, alternator, batery and E.C.M. become heat sinks and none of them like it hot this will bite you in the azz its only a matter of when. Unless youre equiped with heavy duty external cooling systems you are begging for trouble blocking the grille.

B.T.W. A transmission R&R done properly will run you at least $2,500.00 pluss intstallation and parts. I mention this because its obvious that there is little room in the engine compartment and have rebuilt several transmissions, especialy work vans. Automatic transmissions cool and achive opperating them when cold because they cool and warm up by passing the transmission fluid through one of the radiator tanks. Add that to the fact the radiator removes heat from the engine and if you have A.C. you have already restricted air flow to the radiator. Infact your cooling system, lube oil, and AC will work harder from the extra heat. and it will be in the way when you want to check the engine.

Check out the generator post in truck talkit looks like a good setup.

Bob Wolf.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw one other set-up worthy of mention. The generator was mounted to the left rear door. It would allow you to open the door fully without having to remove the generator first. The only question is whether the door hinges will deal with that added weight over a long period of time.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

If it's the same Load 1 Spartan van with a front mounted gen I saw once in the Toledo area, yeah, it looks good and like it would not impact cooling enough to worry about. Might affect--depending on overall weight of platform, supports, and gen--your front end wear somewhat.

I'd actually like to know more about best arrangements for front end mounts myself, for a variety of potential uses. Have to agree with most others here, though, that putting it out back will most likely be more of a pain in the neck than you might want, at least in expediting.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My bad it was Skyraider had pix. you can find the post in truck talk.

Bob Wolf

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
A couple of shock cords might help stabilize it. Any kind of link on one side or the other would do it, too.
I agree....something simple should remedy the problem. Last I heard Guido was going to use double brackets or something. Ive seen several set up on the front. It is one of the nicer setups imo.

Obviously air flow concerns and, imo, aerodynamics.....but Guido says he has no problems with either.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If it's the same Load 1 Spartan van with a front mounted gen I saw once in the Toledo area, yeah, it looks good and like it would not impact cooling enough to worry about. Might affect--depending on overall weight of platform, supports, and gen--your front end wear somewhat.

I'd actually like to know more about best arrangements for front end mounts myself, for a variety of potential uses. Have to agree with most others here, though, that putting it out back will most likely be more of a pain in the neck than you might want, at least in expediting.
That is more than likely Guido. I would rather have the weight on the front. At least with my van, if you put it on the scales and compare axle weights to capacities, the front axle is where you have capacity for extra weight. Along with the fact that nearly all of my loads are either centered over the rear axle or behind it.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do already have the factory tow package so YES, I already have a Rear receiver hitch. I would have to fabricate a front mount somehow. I can't seem to find a Front receiver hitch for the newer GM vans.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the drivers having problems with sway or bouncing up and down you could try this. It retails for under $20.
hitch.jpg
The StowAway Hitch Tightener is the best design we have used -- bar none.

•Prevents hitch wobble
•Easy to install with a single wrench
•Heavy duty steel construction
•Works on most hitch racks and carri

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I built a box a mounted it to the driver's side rear door...works great..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Well I finally broke down and bought one of those 2000 watt inverter generators. Carrying it inside is not an option, smells and could possibly lose loads over the fuel inside the van. Now, what is the best way to mount it on a GM CV?

Heres what I did after my driver also said he couldnt take the smell of gas in the van.Plus he is a smoker so I had to agree with him.. Its crude but effective..Less then 25$ in meterails and 1 afternoon in labor to build and install it. I dont know how top of rack got so out of square but it is what it is..Top shelf was going to be xtra gas can but he aint using xtra cans anyways. So it just may get hacked sawed off below the window. Also had a boat shop cut and sew a cover that snaps on and complety covers this,(but he aint using the cover either.) Cover was about 40 dollars I think??? Have shorepower plug on right side of van body with Breaker box and 2 outlet boxes for a total of 8 plugs inside.All hard wired in flexible conduit. Also mounted micro wave to ceiling behind the drivers seat for him. Now if I could just get him to stay out long enought to cook in it.:)

Mounted generator.jpg PICT0122.jpg

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Reese makes a platform light weight carrier for coolers and tool boxes good for 400 or 500 lbs. It mounts to the reciever box. The inconvinent part is moving the genset to open the doors.

Bob Wolf