DRW Box Van under 10,000K and DOT?

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Do any of you run these trucks and if so have you had any problems at the scales/DOT?

Looking at options- 1)Unicell DRW Chevy under 10,000GVRW.

Also does anyone know empty weight of these trucks?

Thanks,

Steve

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I had a 2004 Unicell equiped exactly like this one. If I remember right the empty weight was about 7,900 lbs. After I put in 3 auxiliary batteries and my bed and me the empty weight was 8,700 lbs. I was only able to haul 1,300 lbs legally. I cringed every time I passed a weight station.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
1st like Marty sid, they are heavy...limiting you to normally less then 2000 lbs..next while they are not required to scale, the DRW setup is a "trigger" for the DOT enforcement officers to chase you down...i know guys that have had tickets for not scaling..with most of the DRW units being 12,300 now, chances are good you would be stopped sooner or later and more then once.. You get ticketed for failure to scale (even though you aren't required) because the DOT's guy are as well versed on the little trucks as they should be, you will be in court, you will win, but its still time and the inconvenience, but its what it is...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running a DRW van is like painting a bullseye on yourself...every decision we make out here has a consequence...for the sake of a couple hundred pounds more...can you/are you ready to deal with the consequences that follow? If so...you are good to go...:) If you are not....don't come in here whining you've been pulled over 3 times in the last month only to be sent on your way after going through the grinder.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Like Chef said sooner or later. My advice is if your going to buy a DRW truck you may as well buy a straight truck. Cost of operation, Max Weight, etc, etc, etc.. If you are going to pay $32k for a truck look at the Independence model Ultra max w/srw. 13' box and can carry about 3K p/ld and 3 pallets.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Don't forget that a DRW setup will weigh more and have higher rolling resistance than a SRW truck. For expeditor work, a DRW truck is just extra hassle, more expense, and normally, less load capacity. (Athough our 6 wheel Sprinter does carry more just because MB is retarded.)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If we can get you vanners to scale and log you wouldn't have to worry about that 10,000 lb limit. Life would be so much simplier.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If we can get you vanners to scale and log you wouldn't have to worry about that 10,000 lb limit. Life would be so much simplier.

Life is Simple, i don't have to scale or log....:D or screw with hours of service either....as even "some" companies requirer for even "under" 10,000 lb gvw vans....

It's all good...and Simple...:D

guido4475

Not a Member

What's there to worry about? Just get a SRW van under 10k GVW and all is good.Simple.Cheap cost of ownership.I'd rather pay $38.00 for a synthetic oil change every 10k miles than a few hundred bucks..besides other things.I ran a straight truck since 89, drove local semi for awhile, and I wouldn't have it any other way.The amount of $$$$ my little van is bringing in is almost criminal.No worries, Mate....

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
To the orginal post, I wouldnt recommend that particular unit. As mentioned the dual wheels will hurt fuel mileage and add weight. That body is a heavy too. The extra size would be great if you didnt have the negatives of weight and duals that come with it.

I would suggest you educate yourself on the 12' cubes like Guido, Cuzzzz and a few others drive. They are a great cost effective option to thd Sprinter. Fuel cost will be more than a Sprinter and you'll have to accept that, but you can pick up one of those units cheap enough to offset a lot of fuel cost.

The specs are VERY important on one of these units. Do your research and take your time finding the right vehicle. There are mods available that should help the fuel mileage some, but you can worry with that later.

I would suggest Truckpaper.com, the autotrader you linked to, and even ebay will turn a nice cube now and then...oh...and never forget to keep an eye on the EO classifieds. Nothing like buying one already setup and ready to go.

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
I ran a e350 box drw and ran log for over 10 years and was always nervous going through scales and I was legal. So I would be too nervous passing each scale/dot with DRW so not worth it. Especially with weight and added cost of DRW. I was more scared they would be on there need to make money days and nail me for something back then.

I will go with a SRW or maybe Transit if it comes out late 2012. I want to go with a Van that holds at least 3 pallets. Cargo Max, Transit? but no Sprinter.

Thanks for all the helpful posts. Some new info in there for me!:)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Your plan is a good one. I would love to start a thread that highlights the perfect specs of one of these cube vans. I'm concerned that it would get so out of hand that the information would be clear as mud...lol

guido4475

Not a Member
Your plan is a good one. I would love to start a thread that highlights the perfect specs of one of these cube vans. I'm concerned that it would get so out of hand that the information would be clear as mud...lol

I really think the perfect alternative to a Sprinter is what Rocketman and Chef have, a Cargomax.Long, lightweight, decent gas mileage, etc.They have the height as well, where a SRW Spartan body is around 63 high on the door opening, but Cuzz's is higher than mine.The nice thing about a Spartan body is the width.I have 14" on each side, and 49" between wheel wells.And it is square, so storage and personal modification is easy.I give my carrier 49x63x12', and the rest is mine.I'm almost done with it, and it should be done by the Expo.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the tricks is even if your GVW is under 10,000 lbs is dual wheels. That makes you a comercial vehicle.