Carrier cutting rates

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wonder if they got paid today and got their .12 cents back?

Yes! At the old rate......

I talked with some today that is buying this. Maybe I should put the pen to it.............. nah, still comes out less no mater how I look at it. One run was 190.00 less. I must be missing something?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked to an E1 sprinter owner today. His words "we finally got our raise" and he was serious.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I talked to an E1 sprinter owner today. His words "we finally got our raise" and he was serious.

Have to admit, that is pretty funny. ;)
Ok...maybe not. He might be one that has to see his next check.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In post 109, E1 defender JGibbs says "This company has never given is [sic] reason to believe that what they do is for the better"
Typo? Or Freudian slip?
I'm sure he'd say it was a typo, but I don't believe it, myself.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In post 109, E1 defender JGibbs says "This company has never given is [sic] reason to believe that what they do is for the better"
Typo? Or Freudian slip?
I'm sure he'd say it was a typo, but I don't believe it, myself.

Certainly says a bunch though....don't it?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes he thought that. He also thinks that the 1.00 is still there. It will work for the newbes. They just don't know any better.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes he thought that. He also thinks that the 1.00 is still there. It will work for the newbes. They just don't know any better.

He knew the dollar was gone and has been there over 5 years.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He knew the dollar was gone and has been there over 5 years.

Then you would think he knew, that cutting our rates will not keep our "wheels" turning. It has not worked in the past. Someone will always come in lower.

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yes, the pay came Monday, after some bounced checks I suppose. Right after 8 am this morning, you should see more first time posters supporting the new Express-1 pay structure. Recruiters stroll in near, or just after 8, get their coffee, and start checking the forums and email, answering calls, etc. I'll bet the money they are taking away that none of those clowns are taking a 15% cut "to attract new customers.". Seriously, wouldn't THAT BE FAIR??? Come on new poster guy, answer THAT!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be hard to answer that question. Hard to tell on vans because some of that loss would depend on the percentage of $1.00 loads they do and how that is impacted by a bump in DH.
Pulling out my new gold plated Panther calculator (which BTW automatically deducts 10 percent on DH;)), this is what I would see on a straight truck.

At 3k to 4k miles per week, you have a loss of 360 to 480 per week based on a loss of .12 cents per mile from the original rate of 1.24
Or.....1440 to 1920 a month loss. Or......a maximum exposure of $23,040 per year per vehicle.
That is using 12k to 16k loaded miles per month average. One could apply 20k miles per month but I would think they would bump up against the HOS too often to hold that as an actual average.
And these would be the paid loaded miles, not the total of the hub miles.
For a fleet of say 10 trucks, that is $230k yearly difference.:eek:
Since the assessorials were cut, that is probably a wash with a bump in DH pay. If not, the appropriate numbers can be adjusted.
This wouldn't count higher fuel, faster depreciation, or maintenance costs as they would be higher but amounts would vary depending on age vehicle and other factors.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Might be hard to answer that question. Hard to tell on vans because some of that loss would depend on the percentage of $1.00 loads they do and how that is impacted by a bump in DH.
Pulling out my new gold plated Panther calculator (which BTW automatically deducts 10 percent on DH;)), this is what I would see on a straight truck.

At 3k to 4k miles per week, you have a loss of 360 to 480 per week based on a loss of .12 cents per mile from the original rate of 1.24
Or.....1440 to 1920 a month loss. Or......a maximum exposure of $23,040 per year per vehicle.
That is using 12k to 16k loaded miles per month average. One could apply 20k miles per month but I would think they would bump up against the HOS too often to hold that as an actual average.
Since the assessorials were cut, that is probably a wash with a bump in DH pay. If not, the appropriate numbers can be adjusted.
This wouldn't count higher fuel, faster depreciation, or maintenance costs as they would be higher but amounts would vary depending on age vehicle and other factors.

Dave..it is a loss...you guys only have 70 hrs in a week to make your miles..period...that is from a solo's view...in a perfect world what is the most a solo can do?... at a 50 MPH average times 70 is 3500 miles a week....loading, unloading, reloading...after a point available miles by carrier becomes a mute point...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was putting the best spin on it using team averages. For a solo you are correct, there isn't a silver lining in there at all. "More miles for less" has no value if you can't run the miles.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

But, you left out the "more Miles" due to rate reduction. Like I said, it has not made me more miles or more money in the past, I do not understand how this thinking works.

My buddy is getting more miles, with less money, No D/H, No FSC. With the Mulit Carrier nformat.

We are getting there!

I just got a small load that is going to pay me less money than the same load last week.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was putting the best spin on it using team averages. For a solo you are correct, there isn't a silver lining in there at all. "More miles for less" has no value if you can't run the miles.

I talk to drivers that can't be bothered. too much aggrevation chasing 15-20 minutes waiting time should really reconsider their priorities.,

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just got a small load that is going to pay me less money than the same load last week.
Yeah, but if you get that same load a second time this week compared to only once last week, you're money ahead.
icon7.png

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, but if you get that same load a second time this week compared to only once last week, you're money ahead.
icon7.png

Oh, I get it now! That's the way I need to look at all of this. cool deal.

Off to pickup, already making money for D/H, $6.30 cent, woohoo. Happy Happy.