Business Planning Help For Newbies

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Partly in response to a recent thread on the topic, and partly because business plans are talked about in only the most general of terms in the EO Open Forum, I'm wondering aloud if experienced drivers and owner/operators and fleet owners would be willing to publish their own business plan outlines here.

I'm not asking for details or confidential information, just business plan outlines that might help newbies develop their own. I'm willing to share mine, if several others will share theirs.

G

It seems to me that if you are driving for an owner, the only major decision that you are making on a day to day basis is what loads to accept. I can see a personal finance plan for how to spend the money you earn, but I don't understand why a sophisticated business plan is needed to drive someone else's truck.

One thing that has occurred to me in reading some of your other posts is that you may have developed some kind of sophisticated load selection formula which you believe gives you an edge over other drivers. Do you have such a formula as part of your business plan?

Maybe you should change your signature to:

"I PITY THE FOOL WHO DOESN'T HAVE A BUSINESS PLAN!!!"

:p

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
I'd think that a business plan would be essential to reaching ones goals, not just for day to day operations...seems like ATeam has goals reaching far into the future...I suspect a business plan will help them achive those goals...just my nickle...

Loose

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>It seems to me that if you are driving for an owner, the
>only major decision that you are making on a day to day
>basis is what loads to accept. I can see a personal finance
>plan for how to spend the money you earn, but I don't
>understand why a sophisticated business plan is needed to
>drive someone else's truck.

Our (wife and me, team drivers) business plan includes and does the following:

1. Demonstrates business acumen to the lender that will make the decision to finance our new truck (or not) and at what rate. The better the plan, the better the rate.

2. Includes a monthly budget that ensures we (a) operate profitably month by month, (b) build cash reserves to deal with unexpected developments and opportunities, (c) set aside money for our new truck's maintenance and eventual replacement, (d) maintain insurance coverage (life, health, disability, property), and (e) invest money in retirement accounts and manages that money to achieve our retirement goals.

3. Includes a detailed disaster recovery plan that will enable us to return quickly to the road in the event of the theft or destruction or other loss of the truck we're driving (fleet owner's or ours) or vital contents (business records, computers, computer data, etc.). Also lists actions to be taken and support people (family members mostly) to be mobilized if our health is lost, short term or long term.

4. Includes an estate plan so that if one or both of us dies, our assets are allocated in accordance with our wishes and our fleet owner's property (if we have a fleet owner at that time) is properly returned, and that loose ends with our carrier (outstanding settlements mostly), are easily processed by our executor who would not know much about the process. Includes documents and instructions on file in locations accessible to appropriate people.

5. Includes short term and long term industry projections, including freight cycle analysis and a carrier-competitive analysis. That assists us in making major equipment purchase decisions and in things like when to lock in an interest rate and what kind of loan term to shoot for, when to change carriers, when to take vacations and go out of service for truck maintenance, etc.

6. Beyond the above, the plan contemplates numerous adverse conditions that may develop (personal, carrier, industry, and the economy). That portion of the plan helps us be prepared for, and to the extent possible, be unrattled by such events if they actually occur. That includes gap insurance to cover things that insurance offered by our carrier does not cover.

Whether you are an owner/operator or fleet driver, a test you might take is: Assuming for the purposes of discussion that all other things will remain unchanged, can you say this instant how high fuel prices can go until you are running at a loss? To answer the question you must know your monthly fixed and variable costs, your fuel consumption rate, and your current profit margin. Can you answer the question?

Another test is: State right now the annual percentage increase of health insurance costs that credible economists are currently predicting. Do you have those costs built into your income and expense projections over the next three years?

A third test is: assume you stumble and fall into a storm sewer drain on the side of the curb and suffer a severe ankle and leg injury that prevents you from driving for six months. If it happens when loading a shipper's facility, who pays the medical costs and what portion, and who covers the income loss? Same question, only it happens when you are fueling at a truck stop while deadheading to a load. Same question, only it happens when you are waiting for a load and you are walking down the street to take in a nearby festival. Same question, only you are out of service, at home, and walking out to get the mail.

A fourth test is: State right now, the rate of inflation credible economists are predicting for the next year. Do you have inflationary price increases built into your budget? In other words, how much will the tire and headlamp you buy today cost next year?

In your plan, where will the money come from to pay the higher costs? What item or items in your business plan must change to offset the increases? Will freight revenue increases cover the higher costs? Will the difference come from your bottom line? Will an expense you have this year disappear next year and can that be used to offset the higher costs?

Truck drivers do not need to have elaborate business plans to drive down the road and bring money home paycheck by paycheck. But if you want more to show for a lifetime of driving than a social security check and a tiny bank account, a business plan may be worth the time.

You said, " I can see a personal finance plan for how to spend the money you earn,…."

I say a business plan is not about spending the money we earn, it's about keeping it, and then using the power that money (capital) has to produce more.

>One thing that has occurred to me in reading some of your
>other posts is that you may have developed some kind of
>sophisticated load selection formula which you believe gives
>you an edge over other drivers. Do you have such a formula
>as part of your business plan?

No. We do not have a formula that gives us an edge over other drivers. We learned from other drivers (the top producers we know) the formula we use today. Having tried a number of techniques found nothing that works better, our load strategy is: Accept any load that does not cost you money. After you deliver, stay put for 24 hours to see if you get dispatched from there. If not, deadhead to the nearest "good" freight center.

That's not a recommendation for anyone else. Let me emphasize that point. I am not recommending this strategy to anyone. There are those in this Forum that say I should not give business planning advice because I lack sufficient truck driving and truck owning experience. I hope they note that I'm simply sharing our practice here, in response to a specific request. I am NOT giving advice. If they have better advice to give or other POSITIVE business practices to share, I hope they do so.

The strategy works for us because (1) We don't care where the freight takes us. (2) As FedEx CC White Glove drivers in a White Glove-equipped truck, we're eligible to haul a wide variety of freight that many other expediters never see. Such freight often gets us out of remote areas under load or on our way to a load that makes it worth the trip. (3) Most loads offered to us by FedEx are not money-losing loads. While some loads pay better than others, our 80%+ load acceptance and 90%+ in service rates keep gas flowing into the tank and money flowing into the bank.

Those numbers (80%, 90%) also mean fixed costs are less of an issue for us than for many other drivers. While some trucks sit home and the fixed costs continue (insurance, truck payment, depreciation, etc.), our truck (fleet owner's or ours when it comes) is on the road offsetting those fixed costs by producing revenue.

It's not a foolproof strategy by any means. We have our idle days waiting for freight just like other expediters. It's also not a hard-and fast rule. It's just what we do most of the time because we don't know any better. If we did know something better, we'd do that.

If anyone knows something better, this is the time and place to share it.

Cargo

Expert Expediter
ATeam,

I completely perceive your intentions to help us newbies. You're doing a great job in not only covering important expediting issues but also very relavent topics to help protect one's investment,lifestyle and career choice.

It's a futile exercise to tell a river to stop. The best thing is to learn how to sail in the same direction the river is flowing.

Keep up the excellent work ATeam!!!

Cargo

greg334

Veteran Expediter
ATeam …. Thank you

There is only one problem I see with any business plan; you must stick to it.

ATeam’s explanation is stellar and right on target.

I too would like to see some samples of business plans from others, of course without confidential info. Is it possible to see ATeam’s business plan? I feel it would help a lot of us in general, newbie and experience alike. I would share mine, but as I am still planning this career move, a month or more in the future right now, so I have nothing to share.

A couple quick comments –

I do like number 3 a lot, “Includes a detailed disaster recovery plan”. I can not tell you how important that is. Being a former disaster recovery/business continuity planner for the Pharma industry and IT, no one seems to get this and how it is important to over all business. In the IT world, most people don’t realize that the only reason a lot of companies have DRP/BCP programs is because they are forced by law, not to help them incase of a disaster. I can not tell you how many times I had to fight for funding a simple program for a system that was used to make Billions of dollars. But not to drift off topic here, the time that is spent is like going to class AND buying insurance. What I mean when I say it is like going to class is sometimes planning raises awareness of situations that you can steer clear of or plan to avoid.

Almost as important is number 4; recently watching an entire family disintegrate over 5 acres because the deceased did not have a will, it made me sick. In the end, no one got the land, just the bill for the legal expenses.

Number 5 is something also that is forgotten, but how does one gather information about competition in the expediting industry or better yet how does one gather freight information? Call me naïve, but I don’t see too much posted to the public.

I was about to post a question about what is formula used to accept loads, but ATeam answered some concerns and gave very good advice. I think that this is probably the most important decision making process for an expeditor, am I right? For the rest of us (like me who is going to be driving a B unit) I would like to hear what others consider as a go/no-go formula for accepting loads. Anyone?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Whether driving for a owner or have your own truck, one of the biggest numbers to know is your cost per mile.
For someone new this will be referred to on a constant basis.

This goes to the question of whether to accept or decline a load.
Can it be ran at a profit?
If calculated out as a loss, does it take you to a better freight location or lane? If so, at what cost?
Depending on the amount of other trucks and company, do you decline a load? If your company is on a first in, first out dispatch, turning a load down will cost you a possible day. Should you or shouldn't you?
At what cost do you take a load out of your companies primary operating area?
Does your company permit brokered loads and or backhauls? If so, at what percentage.
All of the above make a difference.

The best vehicle I have seen for calculating your own CPM is available at www.ooida.com
Click on trucking tools and there is a list from which to select.

Davekc
owner
20 years

G

I suggested that a personal finance plan might be more appropriate than a formal business plan for a driver of someone else's truck, and the plan ATeam describes sounds mostly like a personal finance plan combined with a future business plan to purchase a truck. Not a bad idea if you have the time and inclination. On the other hand, there are plenty of guys doing fine out there without a written business plan.

Knowing cost per mile is a must. One of the things that will really jump out at you if you plug your data into the cost per mile spreadsheet Dave linked to is the enormous drag on earnings that a truck payment represents. As Dave has repeatedly advised, financing a truck is something that should only be done if you REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Paying cash for equipment seems to be the best course for most people in this business.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ateams post does lean towards personal financial questions rather than a truck specific plan. Nothing wrong with that.
It is a hard issue to address without specific numbers.
In a single operation, it does make sense to combine the two.
In a fleet operation it is much different.
Personal plans are highly individualized. Without specific information, it would be reckless to address every issue in a single post.
What I do see in Ateams post are excellent questions to ask a qualified individual who specializes in truck related issues.
If you are new, you may know or can find out alot of the personal and financial information needed.
Where it changes is when you start looking at equipment purchases, taxes, insurance ect. You may or may not know these costs and how they will affect you.
What is good for one, may not be good for another.
Business and personal stategies for a 25 year old, would be much different than a 45 year old.
EO has a tax and business forum for information.
Two other sources are www.pbs.com
And already mentioned, www.ooida.com and www.partners-in-business.com
LDB kindly provided the last link which is a good one.
Unless you already have a background in finance or transportation, I would then move those specific numbers to someone experienced who can plug them in to your plan.
At that point, you can use real time numbers and manipulate them to see how different decisions effect your short and long term goals.

Davekc
owner
20 years

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I am not getting involved here other than to share a few things. Most I have shared before in some manner.

I think ATeam puts up some great suggestions and has shown a very thoughtful and well planned business approach/plan. I think his background, that I have read of, gives him a heads above many. I can not even add to what he has shown.

I do want to expand on something DaveKC touched on. Age. I never realized this, or I guess though of it until recently and then DaveKC brought it back to the fron of my mind. As I have met many folks in this business the age ranges are from about 22 to well over 50. Included in that are backgrounds. What has and has not worked for me may or may not work for others. What I am sure of is what has worked for me based on my background and the fact that I had 23 years in another career which put me in a differnt financial situation, would not work in the same manner for that 22 year old.

I guess what I am saying is needs are very different for me than they are for a 22 year old individual starting out in this as a possible real first career. I got into this because of a 5 year old boys dream. I had some trucking experience in my background, had some business experience in my background and I was in a completely different place as far as financial needs are concerned. The 22 year old may have a new wife or husband and a new baby. I had four grown children and nothing holding me down in terms of commitments. I see it would be a disaster for my plan and approach to be followed by a 22 year old or even a 35 year old.

I guess what I am saying is as all of this is shared among each of us be sure you ask the right questions. Most of what A Team lists can be followed by all of us. Other plans that come along may look good but be sure and ask the Author if you and they are coming at this with the same intentions, same needs and same goals. If not I think things can go real bad real fast.

Hope all that makes since. A Team good POST and some great guides.

Raceman
OTR O/O

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Raceman wrote
I do want to expand on something DaveKC touched on. Age. I never realized this, or I guess though of it until recently and then DaveKC brought it back to the fron of my mind. As I have met many folks in this business the age ranges are from about 22 to well over 50. Included in that are backgrounds. What has and has not worked for me may or may not work for others. What I am sure of is what has worked for me based on my background and the fact that I had 23 years in another career which put me in a differnt financial situation, would not work in the same manner for that 22 year old.

There was an original concern about not putting out very specific information or why members don't respond directly.
Raceman, your above points are well taken.
There are so many different issues.
There was a excellent PBS article here on EO recently (Last week)dealing with sole proprietorship,LLCs,partnerships and corporations.
Short and long term goals will change quite a bit when just looking at those.
That is why these experienced folks are of such great value.
There have been hundreds of new laws just this year with regards to taxes to bancrupty you name it.
One needs a professional on their side just to keep up with all of it.
PBS article is on the front page under dollars and sense.

Davekc
owner
20 years

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I too would like to see some samples of business plans from
>others, of course without confidential info. Is it possible
>to see ATeam’s business plan?

That was the whole point of my original post...I was hoping other experienced expediters would offer to post at least a general outline of thier own business plan.

The EO community could do a great service to newbies if at least some seasoned members shared their business plans without revealing confidential information. I offered to share mine, but will not do so alone. Others must rise to the challenge first.

I was hoping for plan examples from several carriers and several types of trucks. One plan may be of some interest and use to others, but expediting is a highly individualized business. Many real-world plan outlines from real-world expediters would be of tremendous value to newbies researching the indsutry. That gives them a plan pool which they can tap and then develop their own.

My wife and I are team White Glove drivers. That style of expediting has very little in common with say a solo cargo van driver. But a solo van driver may find language in our plan to be useful in his or hers. With a plan pool available, the solo van driver could review them all and pick what works best for him or her. The value of the pool is that it consists of real-world plans from real-world expediters. It rises above the general trucking industry plans that can now be found on line.

It's one thing to say "look before you leap" or words to that effect, or to point a reader to a general trucking web site. It's quite another to provide specific useful information to newbies that seek ABOUT EXPEDING.

If we are serious about assisting newbies and reducing the failure rate in our industry, what greater service can we do than share the non-confidential portions of our very-own business plans?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>.... but how does
>one gather information about competition in the expediting
>industry or better yet how does one gather freight
>information? Call me naïve, but I don’t see too much posted
>to the public.

That information is hard to come by. There is no central source of organized expediting industry information that I know of. You can piece it together by (1) reading things like Jeff Jensen's annual industry review published on EO (2) reading similar annual reviews published by transporation analysists, (3) getting acquainted with and talking to the higher-ups at expediting carriers - the truck show is a great place to do it, (4) getting acquainted with and talking to trucking industry journalists, (5) reading the year-end economic review published by the Wall Street Journal each year (generally on the first business day of the new year), (6) reading annual reports published by numerous carriers of all trucking indsutry types. (7) getting acquainted with and talking to as many people as you can with your own carrier, (8) comparing notes and taling shop with expediters you meet on the road, (9) getting acquainted with and talking to the dealers that specialize in the sale of expediting trucks, (11), reading and taking notes from the many carrier profiles EO publishes and then comparing them over time, (12) monitoring relevant industry statistics, (13) reading what the Wall Street analysts that specialize in trucking companies say about trucking and (14) reading every trucking publication you can get your hands on, (16) talking to shippers and consignees about industry issues, (18) getting acquainted with and talking to industry association leaders from OOIDA, ATA, etc. (19) Sifting through the many trucking industry web sites available today, (20) discovering and using as many other industry sources as you can develop, including of course people you meet right here in the EO Open Forum.

The above is not a complete list, just what comes off the top of my head. I've probably left some good sources out. As I said, there is no central source. Look at everything and sift out what is relevant.

To be an expediter, it helps if you love to drive. To know your industry, it helps if you love to do research on an onging basis. It also helps if you don't have a TV in the truck and use your time to do research instead (our choice).

I'm not saying every expediter needs to conduct research to this extent. In answer to your question, it's what we do to learn more and more and more and more about the industry in which we earn a living and enjoy the perks.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
If no one will go first there won't be enough EO band width to handle the volume.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If no one will go first there won't be enough EO band width to handle the volume

Yes, I will need my own forum to post all the pages.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Two other sources are www.pbs.com
>And already mentioned, www.ooida.com and
>www.partners-in-business.com

I believe the link is www.pbstax.com for the first site. Unfortunately, although the information is very good, the partners-in-business site hasn't been updated in a few years and the materials are not available to order. I hope to find a set one day.

The spreadsheet on the ooida site is very good. I've modified it to allow entering each run. It then takes the cost figures and calculates the gross/net for each run. It also can do what if scenarios based on input of two of the three variables of miles, cpm, pay to truck and it will calculate the third figure. I have a template set up with samples in it I'll be glad to email to anyone who wants it.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>>www.partners-in-business.com
>
>>snip<<
>
>Unfortunately, although the information is very good, the
>partners-in-business site hasn't been updated in a few years
>and the materials are not available to order. I hope to find
>a set one day.
>
>>snip<<
>
>Leo
>truck 4958

The "Business Manual for Owner-Operators" is indeed available from Partners in Business. I just received my copy a few days ago and it is the 2005 edition. You have to call 800-633-5953 ext.1135 as the web site does not support on-line ordering.

For the $14.95 price, the manual is a veritable steal! A must-have addition for the aspiring O/O's library.

Rex

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm glad to know this. The last time I checked the site, which was last year, it indicated unavailable. Thank you.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>If no one will go first there won't be enough EO band width
>to handle the volume
>
>Yes, I will need my own forum to post all the pages.
>
>Davekc

That's a valid point. A good business plan is multiple-pages long. I'll put on my EO Senior Field Editor hat and check with Lawrence about establishing a business plan resource section for expediters on the EO site. I'll post my outline there, along with DaveKC's and hopefully the outlines of others that wish to contribute. We could make them downloadable as .pdf files to solve the bandwidth issue.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
OK! Lawrence has approved the project. We'll have a business planning feature story done in time for the EO show, and we'll create an expediter's business planning resource center on the web that features real-world business planning info from real-world expediters.

Watch the Open Forum for more information about the project at a later date. Thanks to Cargo, whose initial posts and business plan inquiries inspired the idea for an EO business planing resource center.

Phil Madsen
Senior Field Editor
Expediters Online