Windshields

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Whats the average life of these if no cracks appear. I have heard you can polish them out with BonAmi a product used to polish Copper and Brass, fills in sand scratches makes windshield wipers work better.

Since I am on the subject, I am finding that Rain X in the summer sucks. Wipers do not wipe smooth over glass its like they stick. In the winter they do not act this way, and also since the bugs are being greeted the wipers do a terrible job with the bugs and sticking (windshield wipers) just streaks them until I can stop and clean it.

Any Suggestions

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've also heard toothpaste works similarly but have never tried it to find out.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
They actually make a kit to renew the windshield. It has a pad that attaches to your drill and a really gooey paste. I used is when I was a fleet manager and it really worked well. I also used a highly refined alcohol to remove any thing that was on the glass for the cars that didn’t need polishing. That took everything off the glass, wax, dirt, oil, I mean anything and everything. The problem is that you can’t get the alcohol outside a lab and regular rubbing alcohol don’t work the same.

I can’t think of the name of the kit, but I saw something similar in JC Whitney a while ago.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The name will come to me when I am out on the road and than I will post it. There was a product that I used to clean the stainless steel on Elevator Cabs that took everything off I wonder if that would work because it dried on the rag before you do a 3x3 square.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
I clean my windshield when Im home by shaking up a 20 oz bottle of Coke and spraying it on the windshield then I wash the truck.I don't understand how or why this works but is does.In the winter time I mix 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, a tablespoon of Dawn dishwashing liquid to 1 gallon of cheap washer fluid.An old driver taught me this. Another trick he showed me was to wash the truck with Dawm dishwasing liquid and Cascade automatic dishwasher powder, sheeting action leaves no water spots on glass.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
The Coke works, due to the amount of acid in the mixture. You can also use Coke to clean the soap scum from tile in your bathroom. As far as using dishwashing detergent to wash you vehicle, I've always heard that's not such a good idea. Carwash soap isn't has harsh as dishwashing detergent, and you may need to wax more offen.

G

Several thoughts:

First, using Dawn on your car WILL take the wax off. If you want to take the wax off, use it. If you don't, use something else. If you want to find out everything you never wanted to know about car detailing, check out http://www.autopia.org/. There are some real detailing experts over there.

As for glass cleaning generally, Walmart has micro fiber towels in the automotive section 2 for a dollar. Microfiber towels will give you a no streak finish on glass even if you are just using water. They are awesome. I keep a couple by my seat just to clean sunglasses, watch face, etc. They are amazing. Using newspaper on glass does work well. Broompilot noted a while back that shower squeegies work great on glass.

Always clean your windshield wiper blades when you wash your windshield. The grit that accumulates on the blades will scratch the glass.

As for getting scratches out of glass, try using a Bounce dryer sheet. Just gently polish the spot and then go over it with a good glass cleaner. I don't know how or why this works, but it does.