We don't like your kind around here.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After being kicked out of the Wal-Mart in Huber Heights, Oh yesterday, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread listing the Wal-Marts that don't want us around. We seem to hear about this more and more lately. So, I'm kicking it off with...

Huber Heights, Oh.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Were you shopping or just sitting in the lot? We needed to restock the truck and we went to a Walmart that had "No Truck" signs posted all over the lot. We went in and talked to the manager, and she told us it wasn't a "Walmart Policy" that didn't allow trucks, but a city ordinance. She said it was fine for us to park there to do our shopping.

Has anyone else noticed that the newer Walmart parking lots have lots of curbs that discourage trucks from parking.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Arkansas Wal-mart Supercenter Locations

This link might be somewhat helpful in finding a friendly place to park.

I have found Meijers to be the worst for asking me to move my van. Come on...it fits nicely into a parking space and I always park away from the building to allow regular customers to have the closest spots.

Moreover, it seems to depend on who is working that shift. I have been asked to leave the Meijers on Alexis Rd in Toledo, but many of my friends have parked there without being asked to move.

Hope the link helps!

guido4475

Not a Member
Ther is a wal-mart in fontana,ca that i have stayed in for a 4-day stretch without being asked to move at all by the security guard.exit 112 on i-15, just north of 10 in ontario.it is on the est side of the ramp going north, and there is a area between wal-mart and another building by itself that is well lit all night, and i guess it is okay as long as you park along the spaces facing the other building away from wal-mart, so as to not actually being on their property in a way.it's alot better and safer than the t/a!and there is a large area of cut grass for your dogs to run also.and a very good restaurant withing 400 feet of that area.

Another one is in phoenix, az. At 5250 west indian school rd. Park in the back, along side the school by the building, and they are cool with that.alot of retail in that area.i was there for another 4 days also.i even put a mailbox on the hood of my truck! By the way, anybody want to buy a truck? It's time to get out of this business.

guido4475

Not a Member
And are you guys telling me that even cargo vans are getting kicked out of wal-mart? I thought it would only pertain to 6,10, or 18 wheelers! Now that is a bunch of crap!e-mail wal-mart corporate in bentonville!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
PS. If you open the list for Walmart Supercenters in Ohio you will notice the Huber Heights location is not listed.

I believe we should start a letter writing campaign to our incoming Secretary of Transportation and address the lack of parking within the industry.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Near Atlanta, I've never had a problem parking at the WalMart on 20, exit 78 in Conyers.
I like the idea of posting those that don't want us there, and will make a note of them in future. Right now, the one that comes to mind is in Albuquerque. :mad:

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Can't agree on this one. Walmart is forced by local laws to not allow overnite parking. I remember in the early 90s when Walmart catered to the RV and OTRs. Unfortunately, some RV parks started complaining (Homestead Fl. being one) and for this and Im sure other reasons, local laws were enacted. We have been asked by Walmart security if we intended to stay overnite and I take this as a cordial way of informing us it is not allowed. We advise them we are just shoping, and thank them for the "heads- up". Walmart will remain our number one place to restock and if we are asked to leave then we will do so without complaint.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In some cases, the decision is out of the WalMart's hands, due to local ordinances, and sometimes, it's an individual manager's choice - but either way, the point is to know ahead of time which WalMarts we shouldn't bother trying to spend the night at, is what I thought.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Moreover, it seems to depend on who is working that shift. I have been asked to leave the Meijers on Alexis Rd in Toledo, but many of my friends have parked there without being asked to move.

Bro. Dave, why are you staying down on Alexis Rd. when just up the road a few miles you have a nice drivers parking area and lounge?? Showers, kitchen, t.v. room...ect.
Just curious

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i had read an article about 7 months ago that eluded that a few of the no truck parking laws coalitions had been started by the wal-mart gms in the area but i can't remeber which web sight that was and who knows if it was accurite

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One WM placed a note on my window (I was sleeping, with the curtains up) that cited the damage caused by trucks as the reason for banning them - and looking round the parking lot here (Pilot in Seville) at all the yellow poles leaning in crazy directions, I understand. :eek:
And I still like Star's idea: post those locations where we can't park overnite, to save the trouble of going there.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kim, the only time I was ever kicked out of a Wal Mart was when I was in the lingerie department and my pants were in my van. What exactly were you doing to get the boot? If you can't post it publicly I'll understand.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Meijer`s Alexis Rd. Toledo was a parking haven for many years. unfortunately, it got out of hand with 10 to 20 18 wheelers every night. Local security was hired to clean us out.

The only other Meijers to run my 6 Wheeler out was Ft. Wayne Lima Rd.

Walmart West Memphis Ar. also moved recently to stop truck parking. Again the 18 wheelers got out of hand

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can't agree on this one.

You can't agree on what? That we should talk about places we can and can't park? Whether it's local ordinance or the policy of a particular store, it's just helpful info to share.

The Huber Heights location is Ex 38 on I 70 and is listed in the atlas that's sold at Wal-Mart. Meijer's has long had a reputation for not being tolerant of extended parking and Alexis Road is said to be real bad the last few years. I don't know if it's true, but I heard about a guy told to leave as he returned to his truck with a bunch of stuff in a cart. He turned around and returned the merchandise.

I spend the lion's share of my money on the road at Wally World. But, this time I wasn't shopping. A guy in a big tow truck knocked on my door and, very nicely, gave me a heads up that they didn't allow sleeping. There were several other trucks there.

There are cases where these ordinances are selectively enforced. I was at the Husky in Mississauga one night when the cops came into the car parking lot. There were a few people living in their cars there. They were kicked out and the expediters were allowed to stay.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Walmart West Memphis Ar. also moved recently to stop truck parking. Again the 18 wheelers got out of hand

That's not at all surprising. I've been there once and the truck area was strewn with garbage. The slobs among us wrecking it for everyone else.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kim, the only time I was ever kicked out of a Wal Mart was when I was in the lingerie department and my pants were in my van. What exactly were you doing to get the boot? If you can't post it publicly I'll understand.

I have someone that buys my "sporting wear" for me. A man in my position can't afford to be seen doing that.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
After being kicked out of the Wal-Mart in Huber Heights, Oh yesterday, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread listing the Wal-Marts that don't want us around. We seem to hear about this more and more lately. So, I'm kicking it off with...

Huber Heights, Oh.

[/COLORAnd the thread title "We don't like your kind" mis-characterizes Walmart's position. I have been to a Walmart in Sacramento where an RVer and a Van took up residence in the parking, one in Homestead Fl where there were so many trucks it look like a TA, smell and all. I know we as expediters don't quite fit in the catagory of the ones that dump their trash and urine on the lots or hang out in the store unbathed and otherwise unkept but the presence of our trucks likely attracts others...I don't agree that just because Walmart asks us to leave that it's because they "don't like" our kind or that they "don't want us around."