vans professional

transporter

Expert Expediter
ok started from another thread should van drivers becalled proffessional drivers?
this is answered in two ways
1 regulation wise i say know do to size and no airbrakes and special training
2 as a job yes you should be a proffessional==how you drive,how you intereact with others on the road, load securement, safety, dealings with customers, defensive driving.

i have met/seen many semi drivers that werenot professional even thow they had cdl liscence

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is our career..our profession...no matter what trade it is...it is what we do and most do it well...

Can you still call a doctor a professional with 3 malpractice claims?

Is he/she still a professional lawyer with 3 bar reprimands?

Is a driver a professional with a bad driving record?

To me a professional is one that carries themselves well....excels at what they have chosen to do..take pride in what they do...

Last edited:

transporter

Expert Expediter
if you drive a van for a living start calling yourself a professional. and if you do hopefully you will start being professional or at least you can have something to strive for.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
A van driver operates a piece of equipment 100's of thousands of miles safely on the same roads that families drive. He is entrusted with freight that makes a difference in companies and peoples lives. He is expected to be ontime, every time.

I do not think I would want a van driver working for me that did not see this as a profession or himself as a professional.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would not anyone working for me in any job/business that did not have a professional attitude no matter what their position was. I demand that of myself and expect it from all others that have worked for me. Taking pride in ones self and how you do your job or run your business is one of the most important things in life.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being a professional is also how you are judged by your peers in some ways...

A carpenter who cuts corners and shoddy workmanship is not a professional even tho he/she has a license...his peers don't respect what he/she does...

A owner/driver that takes shortcuts:ie: overloads van, speeds, does not secure load, improper attire and so forth in other words operates in a reckless manner is not a professional..but rather a hack..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Our attitude is as follows:

FedEx Custom Critical is the best expediting company in the country and we are the best team that FDCC has!!

That is how to project and act when on the job. Do you BEST!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't give a darn about E-1 really...in that manner....

I represent ME...how I carry myself and judged by a customer..E-1 will benefit as a flow result...

I, that is ME comes first...:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't give a darn about E-1 really...in that manner....

I represent ME...how I carry myself and judged by a customer..E-1 will benefit as a flow result...

I, that is ME comes first...:D

I represent FDCC as long as I have those decals on my truck. I represent me all the time no matter what I am doing. I owe FDCC a certain amount of "due" as long as I am leased to them. I expect that all carriers would like someone that represents them as well as them selves.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I represent FDCC as long as I have those decals on my truck. I represent me all the time no matter what I am doing. I owe FDCC a certain amount of "due" as long as I am leased to them. I expect that all carriers would like someone that represents them as well as them selves.

Of course but one leads to other and flows back...if you don't respect yourself you can't represent the carrier in a proper manner...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You do something for a full time income your pretty much a professional. I don't think being a pro sports figure takes any special license but they are professionals because they make a living at it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry guys and gals, there is a difference between a professional and professionalism.

I think everyone looks at is as one in the same but they are not. You can have professionalism with everything you do and not be a professional anything and vice-versa.

The problem I seem to have with vans really is nothing, I like razzing vanners more or less throwing rocks at the hornets nest because many seem to take this personally and it sometimes is good entertainment while a few times it pulls issues out for discussion.

A couple examples are few boast about how much they run while not getting enough sleep or even rest and more recently the issue of not knowing how to read the manufactures sticker was discussed.

Vans are a target for those who are desperate to pay the bills, and in other threads I have said that there should not be van owners because if you can't afford a van, you don't need to be here and it seems there are a lot of cases where I can back that up. The issue for many is money, they read and listen to people who have been here for a while and think they can do the same thing but it isn't always possible. The ones who are speaking have been here for a while and know what it takes, some get frustrated while others are patient because of their experience. Many who have been unemployed are in a bad position, I was there myself and I started with nothing but I also started at a time when money could be made and there seemed to be more than a years worth of work. Now it is a lot different and things have changed a lot.

Back to professionalism ...

It is not just about paper work or pre-trips but a whole bunch of other things.

Courtesy seems to be missing a lot when we talk about it, and this may include not being in a hurry or thinking about other's safety.

Courtesy on the dock is as important too. I can't tell you how many times I have met drivers who are p*ssed off because they didn't get loaded fast enough and then drive off as if they were going to save the world - a lack of professionalism.

Of which safety is another thing that carriers and driver alike miss out on while in a van - it's like they feel they are privileges because they are driving a van. It actually goers both ways, van and trucks but like the other day being buzzed by a FedEx CC van who just had to make that exit, crossing over three lanes and coming so d*mn close that I saw the scratches on his back door. Will FedEx do anything about that van or the E unit that cut me off in West Virginia - highly unlikely. By the way it is not just FedEx, Panther and everyone else it seems to be the same.

The carrier wants professionals representing them, and many times they get it for the meager amount of money they hand out (sorry but it seems that way). But on the other hand there is no professional development of sorts or any support or means to improve the drivers/owners professionalism but rather leave it up to the driver/owner to find their own way.

I found out that when carriers hire p*ss poor staff, it comes down to reflecting that poor quality in the fleet. A good staff seems to attract better contractors and the more support they get and the more a staff is willing to actually help, professionalism increases.

One example about carrier support is having a person who does not know the answer but will tell you the truth "I don't know", tell you they will find the answer and actually call you back. Committing themselves to solving the issue personally seems to be a good example of professionalism. Getting placed on hold, then having the phone answered by someone who does not identify themselves and then being places on hold again is unprofessional. The same goes for problem resolution, explaining a problem three times to three different people who never drove a truck, then be told that they will call you back and after a while you call them to find out they all left without telling anyone about the problem lack of any professionalism.

How many of you have access to Smith System training?

How many carriers here actually have trained Smith System instructors on staff and hold classes for free for every contractor?

Another example is how many carriers actually teach the financial end of how to run a business?

I only know ONE and it is more or less an overview.

These things all go into the professionalism I am talking about.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thinks you have caught Obama-itis..very catchy..oh great one....;)

HEY!!! I have NEVER been MEAN to you!! How DARE YOU even THINK about comparing me to Obama!! That no good, sniveling, so on and so forth!!! :p You are REALLY in the dog house now!! :eek:

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Vans are a target for those who are desperate to pay the bills, and in other threads I have said that there should not be van owners because if you can't afford a van, you don't need to be here.
One thing to point out though is that I along with many others on here DO OWN or own van. I could afford the van and paid cash for it.

Of which safety is another thing that carriers and driver alike miss out on while in a van - it's like they feel they are privileges because they are driving a van. It actually goers both ways, van and trucks but like the other day being buzzed by a FedEx CC van who just had to make that exit, crossing over three lanes and coming so d*mn close that I saw the scratches on his back door. Will FedEx do anything about that van or the E unit that cut me off in West Virginia - highly unlikely. By the way it is not just FedEx, Panther and everyone else it seems to be the same.

Those who drive like that have two problems.
#1 they want to be the first to the accident scene or funeral.

#2 they can't seem to keep the left door shut.

The carrier wants professionals representing them, and many times they get it for the meager amount of money they hand out (sorry but it seems that way). But on the other hand there is no professional development of sorts or any support or means to improve the drivers/owners professionalism but rather leave it up to the driver/owner to find their own way.

I found out that when carriers hire p*ss poor staff, it comes down to reflecting that poor quality in the fleet. A good staff seems to attract better contractors and the more support they get and the more a staff is willing to actually help, professionalism increases.

Hence we as O/O, contractors do seek out the professional carriers and tend to stay for a long time.

transporter

Expert Expediter
greg i do agree with you on the seemingly desperate cv people out there. its yhe group of expediters usually in cargo vans who appearantly got into this business out of desperation ie layoffs cant find a job. they come in to this with no experience and little to no money.. they take advances then scream they cheated me. or they become the magic BUTtERFLY flapping their wings from one carrier to another.
a professional keeps himself to curtain standard everytime/ all times. he conducts himself safely, on time, appropiate appearance, curtiuos to customers=public=and law enforcement=dispatchers=and other company drivers, if you accept a load offer do it without complaing