Van Pay

rotcacls

Seasoned Expediter
What is the general breakdown of the pay a fleet owner will pay a solo driver in a cargo van or a sprinter? isnt it 70/30

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I've seen one ad from a fleet owner giving 60/40 split at first with possible 'bonus' up to 70/30 split. The driver paying fuel.
Most ads that I've seen are a 60/40 split with driver paying fuel expenses.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Personally, i just don't see how either party can make good money in this situation. Some companies will not let a solo van driver drive more then 700 miles a day, some don't pay enough per mile. when you have the Owner taking a his deserved cut to cover overhead, what the driver gets, just doesn't seem to be enough.

Talked to a guy in laredo last month that was getting $.30 a loaded mile, -0- for dead head, owner did pay for gas, not me, no way!!

I know people driver of owners, but i just can't see it being profitable for either party.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally, i just don't see how either party can make good money in this situation. Some companies will not let a solo van driver drive more then 700 miles a day, some don't pay enough per mile. when you have the Owner taking a his deserved cut to cover overhead, what the driver gets, just doesn't seem to be enough.

Talked to a guy in laredo last month that was getting $.30 a loaded mile, -0- for dead head, owner did pay for gas, not me, no way!!

I know people driver of owners, but i just can't see it being profitable for either party.

Denis...you see them fleet owner vans...pieces of crap....I've crunched the numbers many times over the years...maybe 8 yrs ago a fleet driver made money...these days? 4get it...

one breakdown, one hiccup and it whacks any profit an owner would realize....so whats the point?

Zoli

Veteran Expediter

How much is good money for you?My drivers takes home $ 2000-2500 per month.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
$24,000 -30,000 GROSS a yr to be away from home 85% or more of your time!?!? Not me, and i am retired!

How many people are rasing a family of 4 and paying all the bills on that without another income!?!?

Yes as an owner and not paying a driver, that amount and the owners share would be a good living, but not as a driver, driving another persons van and being away from your home and family as much as we are..........sorry not for $30,000 gross a yr!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
$24,000 -30,000 GROSS a yr to be away from home 85% or more of your time!?!? Not me, and i am retired!

How many people are rasing a family of 4 and paying all the bills on that without another income!?!?

Yes as an owner and not paying a driver, that amount and the owners share would be a good living, but not as a driver, driving another persons van and being away from your home and family as much as we are..........sorry not for $30,000 gross a yr!!

Yep Dennis...one got flip burgers for that much on an 8 hour day and 1 overtime shift and be home all the time...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
pick, pick pick.....Gillette Wyoming 12.00 an hour to start and all the OT you can handle...easily make 500 bill a week...

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
geesh my driver would love to make 500.00 - 600.00 bucks a week....thats how many miles he averages paid a week...freight is slow,slow,slow.... last december from the 1st to the 22nd i did 22 loads...thats one a day....this year so far in december ive had 7 loads and my driver has had 6.........now i no someone will say being in the right place at the right time makes a huge difference...i disagree because with 2 vans we cant always be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter

1:Most of them don't have a family
2:They like to be 85% out
3:Insted of working for 7-8 $ per hour beter see the country
4:I have a neighbor she works at Publix she make 1300 per month...but she's home.
5: For you, 30k per year may not be enough for somebody else it is enough .I have a frend who makes $ 800 per day, he will never do what you doing.Never judge somebody income.

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
It is a numbers game people. If you had say 10 cargo vans on the road and made like 200 a week off each one, you could make 8000 a month. That is considering your fleet is paid for in cash and all of your trucks are dong at least 800-1000 miles a week. Once again, it is simply a numbers game. There are also plenty of guys out there who are willing to drive a cargo van for 400 dollars a week. I know because I have talked to such drivers in the past. I have even met some very good cargo van fleet owner drivers who have been driving for the same fleet owner for 8 years or more. You can make money; you just have to pull a small amount of profit from each one of your vehicles (much in the same way that your carrier rings a small profit from each load)! You also have to have enough vans operating within your fleet to evenly distribute the burden of your fixed and variable operating expenses.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is a numbers game people. If you had say 10 cargo vans on the road and made like 200 a week off each one, you could make 8000 a month. That is considering your fleet is paid for in cash and all of your trucks are dong at least 800-1000 miles a week. Once again, it is simply a numbers game. There are also plenty of guys out there who are willing to drive a cargo van for 400 dollars a week. I know because I have talked to such drivers in the past. I have even met some very good cargo van fleet owner drivers who have been driving for the same fleet owner for 8 years or more. You can make money; you just have to pull a small amount of profit from each one of your vehicles (much in the same way that your carrier rings a small profit from each load)! You also have to have enough vans operating within your fleet to evenly distribute the burden of your fixed and variable operating expenses.

oh it's do able....just alot of hard work and worry for little return....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yes it can be done, and yes people are driving for $400 a week, and what each person needs or wants is totally different for each. What i said is that for me , $30 grand a year isn't worth my time.

Yes, i am retired, own other businesses and my wife owns a business. I can do this for nothing if i wanted to, but i certainly wouldn't, from a business satnd point, as OVM said, too much work for to little return.

Now I am asking because i really don't know, how many fleet owners have 10 vans out here ??? When i say i don't see a person making a good living as a driver for an owner, I am thinking an owner operator that has maybe 2-3 vans total and hires 2 oter drivers while he runs one himself... Maybe I am not looking at this from the right standpoint...

But, as one poster put it, his drivers are making $2-2500 a month , that still won't cut it for alot of people.

As for freight being slow, i am not about to say it isn't but, being new and not having any expectations at all when i started doin thos, for the month of oct, 21 runs, nov i had 24 runs. From dec 1st till today, 13 runs. 1 driver, 1 van.

I know some will say ia m the newbie and ia m getting feed, i don't buy it. I guess not having anything of my own experience to draw on lets me not have certain expectations, i feel i am doin good and have no complaints. BUT, I sure wouldn't do it for $30 grand a yr!! I am not quite there yet, but not far from it, and i started the last week of aug., with a holiday right there!!

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have even met some very good cargo van fleet owner drivers who have been driving for the same fleet owner for 8 years or more.

I'm not sure what that means, but if I was one of them I probably wouldn't be apologizing about it on a public forum.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Guys...........We've gotten off the topic of the original question! This happens alot I notice. Let's Focus and answer the man's question. If you want to talk about profit and making money doing this job, then start another thread about!

In answer to the original question. The norm is 60/40. 60% to the driver and he is responsible for fuel and tolls. 40% to the owner who pays vehicle payment (if any) insurance, and maintenance. *There are some agreements where it's 50/50 or 70/30. But in those scenarios, it's negotiable as to who is responsible for paying what!

Now back to the off topic soapbox........Trucking at one time was a rich and profitable job and maybe still is if you drive for a company in their truck. As for the IC or O/O. You do this job because you enjoy it! If your looking to get rich.....Find another career. Just like when I was a cop. I knew I was not going to get rich from the job.....But I did it because I loved the job.......*(I got out of it because of a terminal illness in the family ....and put my career on the back burner for my family). The same is said for me in expediting right now. When business is good and we all know when that is......I'm making awesome money.......But we all know when the slow period hits, business is bad and with us in an recession it's even harder for everybody in every occupation. Yes everyone has their own comfort level and how much they need to survive. If you desire a certain income then you must work harder to achieve that level. If you don't need alot to make it, then you don't have to work as hard! Fleet owners do this to make money and still spend time with their families. People drive for others to 1. Gain experience, or 2. Because they have no money to buy a vehicle of their own.

The point is don't be so quick to judge one because someone drives for another, and they're making peanuts! Or fleet owners give their crappy equipment to their drivers. Hey if it's paid off and in mechanically good condition it gets the job done! One less headache of a truck payment to deal with!