Van or S/T?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I and several other people here use a stand alone roll around 12,000 btu ac unit that vents thru the side wall and runs off a generator...now I will be changing to a 8000-10,000 btu WINDOW ac unit that i will mount in the pass door side window on a mount like those old food window trays that we use to get at the "drive in" . They are in the 16 in high 19 in wide area and will fit in the window and allow the window to roll up enough to keep it in place and fit a "filler" in the area to the front towards the door frame....OVM does this now...I would never put a roof top unit on...for the reasons you stated. The window unit is small enough it won't be an issue when in the back and not in use or in the way for freight.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I and several other people here use a stand alone roll around 12,000 btu ac unit that vents thru the side wall and runs off a generator...now I will be changing to a 8000-10,000 btu WINDOW ac unit that i will mount in the pass door side window on a mount like those old food window trays that we use to get at the "drive in" . They are in the 16 in high 19 in wide area and will fit in the window and allow the window to roll up enough to keep it in place and fit a "filler" in the area to the front towards the door frame....OVM does this now...I would never put a roof top unit on...for the reasons you stated. The window unit is small enough it won't be an issue when in the back and not in use or in the way for freight.
You don't have any pictures of the vented unit do you?
I have seen some vans with those vents but did not know what they were to. I thought they were vents for heating units. I have seen the door window thing as well. I will probably have to spray foam insulate as well, the fiberglass doesn't carry R's to well.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
No pictures, but it is a dryer vent that i picked up at Home Depot..it is a 4 in opening, so i bought a 5 in to 4 in adapter for the hose from the ac unit....

and yea, you will need insulation of some type...I used foil back bubble insulation and 3/4 in blue form biard insulation covered with 1/4 luann plywood and that is covered with a nylon short pile carpet in the 1st 5 ft behind the seats....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
No pictures, but it is a dryer vent that i picked up at Home Depot..it is a 4 in opening, so i bought a 5 in to 4 in adapter for the hose from the ac unit....

and yea, you will need insulation of some type...I used foil back bubble insulation and 3/4 in blue form biard insulation covered with 1/4 luann plywood and that is covered with a nylon short pile carpet in the 1st 5 ft behind the seats....
I have a roll around a/c in my old shop, the only problem is the water. I will have to find out how big it is. It does cool though. That bubble wrap does it help? I am thinking just to go ahead and have it sprayed. Can get it done in Ft. Wayne, In for about $400. It's 1 inch thick all the way around. After that do the plywood thing.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I just saw the water hose you were talking about. I'll have to check that out. That is a good idea, especially since I have one. It was given to me by a friend in the appliance business.
Are you in a regular van or a Sprinter?