Van down

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never heard of a fuel pump failing in a late model van. I put it in the category of oil changes at 3k miles.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I've never heard of a fuel pump failing in a late model van. I put it in the category of oil changes at 3k miles.

drove the wifes 00 gm minivan to the junkyard with the oe pump in it. 251000 on the pump. Bought it as a total out, got totaled out again (not the wifes fault, everyone ok)

They do fail, but not near as often as the hanger style.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The pump on mine went out at 62k and was replaced under warranty. I had driven down to the low fuel light a couple of times prior to that. Now it's no lower than 1/3 of a tank before filling.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Lookin for his machete to cut a hole in the floor to pull the pump out thru the top ?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Lookin for his machete to cut a hole in the floor to pull the pump out thru the top ?

I've put the hole in every van I have ran. Even if the pump was still good. Normally you can bribe a parts store to deliver the pump. With the hole it's a 15 minute job.

my current van came with the hole precut :)

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Seems like to me its the 04 and older Chevy that have fuel pump problems...470,000 on my 06 express no.fuel pump problems yet...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On my 1998 Chevy I went about 180,000 before the fuel pump failed. Most Chevys of that vintage had the pumps replaced by 100,000, if not sooner. I never ran below a ¼ tank and changed the fuel filter twice a year. My 04 Chev has 570,000 miles on it with the original fuel pump and I have never changed the fuel filter, because it is integrated with the pump.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds to me like Vanners need log books. Anyone hauling freight for compensation needs to log. Just not enough common sense to do it any other way,

Zorry , my thoughts are if alot of drivers and companies would have run responsably log books wouldn't have been needed to begin with. I ahve done the log book thing my self, so that no one thinks differently, when I say that.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Everyone hates a cliff hanger.

Hope the op did not try to install a pump himself by dropping the tank. (and the truck)

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Gas or Diesel? If it's gas it should start if you cycle the key a few times. Turn the key on so the warning lights come on and wait a few seconds. then turn it off. Do this a few times to prime the system then it should start.

If that does not do it, it might not have ran out of gas but something else might have happened.

If it's a diesel you may have to pump prime the system. The owners manual should have a section on what to do if you ran out of fuel.

Shes Gas, I did that since it has worked before And it could have been something besides gas i was asleep when it shut off. The gas light was on but I didnt think it was that low.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Gas motor chevy??? if it sat running and ran out of gas, chances are good that the "in the gas tank" fuel pump sucked up "crap" in the bottom of the tank, overheated and went bad...it is never good to run a GM gas motored van below a 1/4 of a tank of gas, just for this reason....

As pointed out above, cycling the key on and off a few times should start the fuel pump, you should hear it hum...if you don't, chances are the pump is burnt up...I hope your checking account has a few bucks in it if you have the dealer fix it....They will try to get you to pull the gas tank....a good shop will cut a hole in the floor to access the tank pickkup, sending unit and fuel pump...

NEVER RUN THAT VAN BEFORE A 1/4 TANK OF GAS....

Luckily im home and have a local shop that will be able to help me out with out busting my pocket to hard but still will have to have it towed if I caint get it running,so im trying all options and another mechanic in our area told me to tap the part of the tank were the fuel pump is? well i tapped all over and no luck have you heard of that as a quick fix?