used commercial truck prices and specs

enforcer

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone.....My owner is considering leaseing a second truck but we are having problems with finding out the value of a used truck....I looked on the web and Nada doesnt have a site for free to few they want you to subcribe to them for $100 all i need is some information so i can give it to the owner....we are looking at a 2004 freightliner M2 with and 84" sleeper and a 22'box with 80,000 to 100,000 miles and a 2005 fl M2 ,84" sleeper same box with 60,000 to 80,000 on it ...what i need to know is book value average would be fine and what are the standard engine options,transmission options ,what to look for as far as problems with this truck what does M2 stand for ,i am assuming this is air ride but i dont know....also what are you guys thoughts on the internationals we can look at a 06, 4300 does any one know the specs on this truck ,,i am trying to find out as much as i can before we go down to look at them ,what do i look for and look out for on any of these trucks..any help will be appreciataed .....thanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Enforcer

I just returned from the bank about a loan for a truck conversion and they valued the truck for the loan for me.

A good bank that specializes in any commercial loans should be able to help you but before you bring them a list of vehicles to value, ask them first if you can set up an appointment for 5 minutes of their time to explain what you are doing. 9 times out of 10 they will help you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Alot depends on the truck. I would get the specs and then call several dealers with that info. Tell them you want to trade it and see what they say. Alot of trucks I see are way over priced new and used. If you know the value of the truck new, take 20 to 25 percent for each year of use and you will be close, assuming they didn't overpay on the initial purchase.
As with anything, I would be concerned about any type of lease deal.
Commonly refered to as a "fleece"
Make sure you have an attorney review any deal. They can have many hidden clauses and caps in them.

Davekc

enforcer

Expert Expediter
Thanks guys for your imput.......I for got to say that the owner is an experienced salesman and deals with leases all the time so he knows what do look for in a lease and we really just need the specs and options availabe so we can properly estamate if this deal we were offered is a good one ...what do any of you think of mercedes engines good or bad ....any way thanks for any and all help

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have heard good and bad on these engines. Most would depend on what size they are. The bigger the engine the less problems you hear about. Alot info in the archives on those engines.
Some of the smaller engines had problems with idling issues and a/c.
A/C issues are debatable as to whether problems are related to Freightliner or the bunk manufacturer.
Some research should answer most of your questions.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you know the value of the
>truck new, take 20 to 25 percent for each year of use and
>you will be close, assuming they didn't overpay on the
>initial purchase.
>
>Davekc

I'm presuming you mean take each year individually as in
100% * .8 = 80%
80% * .8 = 64%
64% * .8 = 51%
51% * .8 = 41%
41% * .8 = 32%
so at the end of 5 years at 20% annually there is about 30% of the original value left not 0% if you said 20*5.

Leo
truck 4958
73 KE5FJG

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
so at the end of 5 years at 20% annually there is about 30% of the original value left not 0% if you said 20*5.

Leo

Correct.
That will put you close.
That is assuming that a average retail number was used when original. Some options of course will adjust that number but very few.
For example, a 2000 year truck bought at $100,000 5 years ago with 450,000 to 500,000 miles is worth $20,000 to $25,000.
I use a 2000 for example because you can currently buy 2006's
If for example it has a 96" sleeper, closer to $30,000 because there are fewer of them.
I should add, if the vehicle is still under most of its factory warranty, I add five percent.
I have seen recently 2000 expedited century's priced for close to $80,000. That is of course without a reefer or gate. This is a sign of someone paid too much, or they want you to pay more than it is worth. A used non stretched century with simular specs is $20,000 to 30,000 . Even paying retail, a box and a stretch shouldn't be over $15,000 additional. Tops on this truck would be $45,000 and that is with a new box.
These trucks are listed in truckpaper. An auction would bring that price down even more.

Davekc
owner
21 years

ATeam

Retired Expediter
the www.truckpaper.com makes it easy to search for particular kind of trucks and they list a lot of trucks overall. It would take some time and effort, but you could use those ads to build a database and then do your analysis on it. Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet program would work, as would the Microsoft Access database program.

Develop a table of truck characteristics you wish to include like price, make, model, year, engine, transmission, sleeper, etc. Manually enter the information from the Truck Paper ads into the table. Then crunch the numbers to see what is revealed. The more trucks you enter in, the more reliable your data would be. Of course, the big variable would be the condition of each truck in question. The ads won't give that information in a trustworthy way. That could only be determined by inspecting the truck.

Even if you were buying a brand new truck, an analysis of the resale value of certain used trucks could help you predict what the resale value of your new truck compared to others would be a few years down the road.

Truck Paper has all their trucks in a database already. It would be nice if they added a build-your-own-query feature to their web site which you could use to do such an analysis.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>A Team,How did your new truck build turn out?

Why do you ask? I sense yet another pot shot comming. You have a bad habbit of injecting questions or comments about me personally that have little or nothing to do with the topic raised by the posters that start the threads. It's a habbit that does not become a moderator.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Potshots??? I was just curious as too how your truck build turned out. Sorry I didn,t mean to pull your chain as it must be a sensitive issue.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Why do you ask? I sense yet another pot shot comming. You have a bad habbit of injecting questions or comments about me personally that have little or nothing to do with the topic raised by the posters that start the threads. It's a habbit that does not become a moderator.

Through your own writings here and other sites you have already written about your truck build disaster. You are certainly not the first nor will be the last for this to happen. It also is past the stage of being a "secret truck build". Your lessons learned would be of value to new people contemplating the path you chose.
This would help people judge and review whether they have the knowledge, finances and stomach to take on your type of project.
I don't think helping other folks is taking a "potshot" at you.
It is no different than "business plans" or anything else.
You are correct though, this really should be another thread, not a continuation of this one. I will take the liberty to start a thread that addresses this more directly.

Davekc