Trying to Get info

mhorsman2

Expert Expediter
Have been talking with Con_Way to start with a Sprinter ( I own a passenger model 158" and they will let me come on if I get rid of six windows and build a bulkhead). Wondering if 1800 miles a week is realistic for a single cargo van, as they claim their average is? And I'm hearing some good things about Express 1-any more comments? Any feedback on COn_Way would also be appreciated. Recruiter said they are putting on 20 vans now but he dodged the question why. Anybody know why a bunch of van guys left there?

Thanks for any input!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
This may sound like a broken record but I suggest you make an investment in your future and make it to the Expedite Expo where you can talk to the many ConWayNow drivers that'll be there. I take nothing away from the recruiter's; however, if they told you the average is 1800 miles a week, I would think they gave you a ballpark figure and not an average. I'd want to hear from other carrier drivers before deciding which company to sign on with.

In addition, miles per week should not be the only parameter for choosing a carrier. At the Expo you can talk to the players at all the major carriers and make a better informed decision on your future in expediting.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In addition, miles per week should not be the only parameter for choosing a carrier. At the Expo you can talk to the players at all the major carriers and make a better informed decision on your future in expediting.

Excellent advise.
Hope you can make it.

Davekc

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am wondering; how are you going to get rid of the windows?

I may be wrong, but I thought there is a lot more work to convert the sprinter from the passenger version to a cargo version than to just start out with a cargo van and add what you need. Maybe getting a cargo version would be better in the long run?

My 2¢

mhorsman2

Expert Expediter
yeah, it would be if I could sell my passenger van a get my money out of it. It's outfitted for disability transportation (that's my current business) with a wheelchair lift and has 130,000 miles and it's a 2003. So I might be able to get $35,000 (the lift and acccompanying tie downs came with an additional $6000 price tag). So, if I can sell it for what I owe, and buy one of the used models in the classifieds with a built in sleeper, I would and will. But there's a limited market for vans like mine, at least I think there is. But...there aren't a lot of used Sprinters out there and at 21-23 mph the resale value may just be there.

Thanks for your input!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
they will let me come on if I
>get rid of six windows and build a bulkhead).

Your carrier of choice might just let you paint the inside of the windows and/or screw or tack-weld a theft deterent barrier of expanded metal or some flat stock.

leymas

Expert Expediter
How about covering the windows with black construction paper? That's what I do with my bedroom windows so I can sleep on the weekend's I don't work. Not sure if you can call it sleeping in 7:30am and up already.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Generally all of the Expediting Companies build up their fleets for the 3rd and 4th quarter. That is when business levels are at the highest. Also this summer has been very slow for many companies so in addition to building up their fleet Con Way may have lost van drivers.