Tire Thumper

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Reading a catalog recently and they had a "tire thumper". The short baseball bat type thingie that truckers used to or still do check their tires for pressure. It mentioned that some states could consider this as a concealed weapon. Any thoughts on this?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on what you're caught doing while you have a tire thumper. It you're in a Camaro and you get caught with 4 pounds of weed in the back seat, and they find a tire thumper under the front seat, they'll conclude that the tire thumper's primary use is as a weapon. You'll get hit with a concealed weapon charge on top of dealing drugs.

Even if you're in a truckk, if you're dealing drugs or something, a tire thumper weapons charge (concealed or not) could be thrown in there. If you have a gun or something, they'll probably conclude the thumper isn't a weapon and that you'd use the gun, but if there's no other weapon, the thumper may get the call.

If you have one of those sword/thumpers, where it's basically a small sword (or a large knife) with the barrel of the thumper being a sheath for the blade, there ya go.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I was stopped in Ontario at the Bridge and was directed to pull Under a Canopy as they wanted to look inside my Cab as the Rear was Sealed. I pulled in and after they searched the Cab they had me open my side boxes so they could look inside,and after doing so I was Told by the Customs People that I was Lucky that My Tire Thumper which looked like a Small Aluminum baseball bat was Locked inside the Side Box because if it wasn't then I would have been charged with Carrying a weapon into Canada. Apparently he went into check with his Supervisor who told him to let me go "Only" because it was locked in the side box.... Go Figure.................

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You know how the car salesman goes to the back and discusses you price with the sales manager? And in reality he just went to the restroom or something? A lot of what goes on at the border, on both sides, is like that. They do certain things to provoke a reaction, and based on that reaction they may take other steps. If you are evasive or defensive in any way, they will take that as a sign to keep looking. While they are looking inside your truck or van, rest assured there is another officer looking at you and your reactions while waiting. Restless, nervous, fidgeting, looking around, rushed, these are not good body languages to project.

Instead, look bored, be cooperative but quiet, answering only what is asked of you, but also offering up any information that the officer needs to know about. Like, I recently had my van searched, and I told the officer that there's a paring knife inside the microwave, so don't go jammin' yer hands in there without looking.

When the opportunity presents itself, Canadian Customs will hassle a US driver just for the heck of it. US Customs will, too, but usually only US drivers. :D

If you deliver in Canada and then sit for a few days, then give up and deadhead back out, they know how long you were up there, and when you come out empty after a few days that's a red flag so don't be shocked if they want to do an inspection. I recently had a load to Edmonton, Alberta and broke down in Lethbridge, ended up taking nearly a week to get it fixed and back out to the States. While I was inside the USCBP building waiting for them to give the van a physical, there was a Canadian driver there putting a load of seed potatoes in bond, headed for Mexico. He mentioned that he was from Lethbridge, and I mentioned that I had spent a lovely 5 days at the ThriftLodge there in beautiful downtown Lethbridge while my van was being repaired. The US Border guard overhead this (which was my intent) and he commented, "Oh, that explains it." And it turned what could have been a lenghty wait for a thorough inspection into a 5 minute deal.

Canadian Customs has a list of resricted and prohibited weapons at bsf5056 I Declare

There are many items listed, tire thumpers, hammers, screw drivers and backscratchers (hey, you can put an eye out with that thing!) not among them. The last item on the Prohibited Devices list is, devices prohibited by regulations, meaning any item specifically prohibited by the Canada Criminal Code as being specifically designed as a weapon as its primary purpose.

So again, a tire thumper under the front seat of a car will be suspect, as a four-wheeled vehicle's need for a tire thumper is highly suspect, but a tire thumper under the front seat of a truck could only be considered a weapon if you are engaging in some other illegal activity, as the CSBA cannot just arbitrarily define something as a 'weapon by design' unless it is also defined as a 'weapon by design' in the Canada Criminal Code.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Used a tire thumper in a van since 97 with no problem. I was once asked why I needed it, and I responded truthfully, this is how I check my spare tire. Dont have to get flatback on wet concrete etc with a tire guage. When I first bought it, to be on what I considered to be the "safe side"..... I took a magic marker, and wrote on the wooden handel, 50 front, 80 rear, got the wooden handel nice and dirty and scuffed up. Taped a cheap $5.00 tire guage to the bottom end of the handel for show. Additionally I have had to use it to free up E-track connectors. Never carried it in the cab, had it readily available once the rear doors were opened and at night it was moved to my bunk area.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
A tire gauge could be used as a weapon, as well as a car key, a belt buckle, and a ball point pen. Would all of these be classed as "weapons"? In an emergency I could swing a mean clipboard.