Tall vans

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As a means to divert my attention, as well as a possibility in 3-6 months, I'm mentally building and specing tall vans. At this point the suspect list is Sprinter, Nissan, Cargomax and Unicell. I am thinking of something set up for comfort which I know is not the advice some would give but at least for the sake of this diversion that's the way I'm going. So, if you want to play along, throw out your thoughts and comments on Hanvey, Midway, etc. in customizers as well as Espar (mandatory) and others in upgrades/addons as well as any specific and/or unique accessories plus any/all specific maintenance ideas and issues plus anything else you want to add. In other words, distract me a lot and keep me busy thinking and researching.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Got a friend who lives in ft. Worth and is building a sprinter through a new Mercedes dealer close to there. They have an authorized Mercedes upfitter who can do all suspension mods and all interior sleeper building along with wiring and a/c work as well as extra batteries and shore power and anything else you can think of. Basically a one stop turn key Mercedes upfitter. All warranties in tact and can legally change the door gvwr sticker to match the modifications.If interested, pm me and I will get the info.He is building a 2500 when done will have a 9990 # door sticker. I believe the standard 2500 sprinter is 8500#.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
whatever you do, make sure you have SEVERAL GOOD LED LIGHTS in both you personal area and cargo area....the high ceilings make for the need for good bright lighting place in well thought out areas....

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If comfort is a goalI would drop missing from the list. Not sure how to make it comfortable with two skids fillingit up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If you are staying with your current carrier and have no inclination to change, then a permenanet bunk area would be fine. but if you ever feel the need to change carriers, a "convertible" bunk/cargo area will be of benefit. Set floor covering that can be rolled up easily.

I can convert my Cargo Max from 102" of cargo area to 156" in 5 minutes....

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is there any confirmation that the new Transit will be available in the spring. I know that they have gutted the plant at Kansas City to convert but unsure if it'll be available in the spring. Will it be equivalent to size and capacity as the Sprinter Hi Top 170" EXT Wheel Base? I hope so. I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on a new Sprinter primarily because of a scant dealer network.

Big Al:cool:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i was told last week that their are transits sitting in the yard at claykomo that are pre-production units that have come off the line there...

There also engineering units sitting at fords engineering center off 94 in detroit, you can see them from the hyway....i have been told spring is a almost for sure thing...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Ford would be interesting but molasses runs uphill faster than Ford moves to bring it to market. That Sprinter upfit sounds interesting although I wonder if the chassis is up to it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He is building a 2500 when done will have a 9990 # door sticker. I believe the standard 2500 sprinter is 8500#.
That loooks veery eenteresting. Too bad Adolf Benz can't export a 9990 SRW GVWR Sprinter to for the North American market.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If comfort is a goalI would drop missing from the list. Not sure how to make it comfortable with two skids fillingit up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Looks like Xiggi's smart phone out smarted him. I'm guessing he meant drop Nissan from the list and drop missing. If so, I agree! Minimum 100" for cargo and 30" for a bed.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"convertible" bunk/cargo area will be of benefit.
I agree with Dennis. Even if you don't use the extra space for cargo, it sure is nice to have the whole length of the van when laying over, instead of a small fixed sleeper area.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd wait until spring for the Ford Transit.

.... i have been told spring is a almost for sure thing...

I agree with Scott and one more time with Dennis. Wow! Maybe I'm not the anal orifice some believe me to be! Oh, Dennis, the "i" in your above quote should be capitalized.

Leo, if you can wait till spring and if Ford offers the Transit at that time in a 9000 to 10,000 GVWR as the T350, it sure would be worth looking into.

Me personally, I'm intrigued by the Ford Transit and if Nissan comes out with 144" cargo area, that would be worth looking into. The Cargo Max at 14" and especially the 159" wheelbase should get serious consideration. Dennis got a great deal on his, but I don't know what the new ones go for. I would want GM's 6 speed transmission and steeper gearing on the rear end, at least 3.73 and preferably 3.42.

I can live with 12" so that adds Rockport, Baybridge, Unicell CW and Spartan to the list. The problem I have with these four is they do not offer a long wheelbase model. I prefer a long wheelbase for weight distribution, ride quality and ride stability.

If I could have the perfect long and tall it would be a Unicell CW on a 159" GM chassis, 3.42 rears, 6 speed transmission and a, a, a V-6 Duramax. Oooh, did I just commit to a diesel?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Moot...you have some good spec's there but Im told that 3.42 with the 6 speed is a bad idea...too much hunting for gears. Im told the 3.73 is just about right.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Transit is definitely interesting but based on their history I'm skeptical they'll make spring unless it's maybe spring 2017. Yeah, there's something to be said for the full area but also something to be said for a sleeper like the Hanvey full size bed option.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot...you have some good spec's there but Im told that 3.42 with the 6 speed is a bad idea...too much hunting for gears. Im told the 3.73 is just about right.
A 3.73 would work for me. A 4.10 is too low, well maybe with a six speed...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, there's something to be said for the full area but also something to be said for a sleeper like the Hanvey full size bed option.

To each his own! For a team operation one of these after market sleepers with the bulkhead separating the sleeper from the cargo area is a must for safety and comfort. For a solo like me, I want the whole van to roam around in, preferably on my feet rather than my knees.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is 700 amp hours of hotel power a significant amount? Will it power an a/c system and if so for about how long (realizing it depends on whether Laredo in July or Ohio is April of course)?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Is 700 amp hours of hotel power a significant amount? Will it power an a/c system and if so for about how long (realizing it depends on whether Laredo in July or Ohio is April of course)?

Im pretty sure that if you will use the search engine at the top of the page, you'll be able to find some very long and informative threads on this subject.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Scott and one more time with Dennis. Wow! Maybe I'm not the anal orifice some believe me to be! Oh, Dennis, the "i" in your above quote should be capitalized.

Leo, if you can wait till spring and if Ford offers the Transit at that time in a 9000 to 10,000 GVWR as the T350, it sure would be worth looking into.

Me personally, I'm intrigued by the Ford Transit and if Nissan comes out with 144" cargo area, that would be worth looking into. The Cargo Max at 14" and especially the 159" wheelbase should get serious consideration. Dennis got a great deal on his, but I don't know what the new ones go for. I would want GM's 6 speed transmission and steeper gearing on the rear end, at least 3.73 and preferably 3.42.

I can live with 12" so that adds Rockport, Baybridge, Unicell CW and Spartan to the list. The problem I have with these four is they do not offer a long wheelbase model. I prefer a long wheelbase for weight distribution, ride quality and ride stability.

If I could have the perfect long and tall it would be a Unicell CW on a 159" GM chassis, 3.42 rears, 6 speed transmission and a, a, a V-6 Duramax. Oooh, did I just commit to a diesel?

I have one C/Van that came with a 3.42 and 6.0 power. Don't buy the 3.42 get a 3.73. Had it changed out. Driver with the 3.42 went to the Northwest came back with nothing but compaints about down shifting all the time. He just left it in Direct. Paid a Grand and swapped it. Actually better MPG with the 3.73 under a load than the 3.42. I have the 3.42 in a p/up and soon to get rid of that. Right now the best GM combo in my opinion is the 6.2 with 3.73 gears and 6spd
I would be running a C/Max if I could use it with the freight I am running and driving myself. You can't do better for the investment and load capacity than that. I have 2 C/Van running right now as hard as ever but don't need the extra room with them right now. Haven't spent a dime on repairs and both are well over 200K. If I continue to run C/Vans I will upgrade to the max. I had to put a Team on a TT unit to run the Northwest weekly so a C/Max just wasn't big enough for the return loads.

Last edited: