Suspension.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Couple of things:

Try tru-balance centering sleeves. Probably real close in price to the Equal, and eliminates wheels and brake drums that are out-of round on the studs. You can find them at just about any Bosselman's Boss Shop.

I second Phil's motion on McMahon tire in Fort Wayne. Top-notch folks. See Brent there. While I did not have any front-end work done there, I did meet a guy who's been going there religiously for 22 years for an annual alignment. He says he gets excellent fuel economy and tire life from McMahon's work.

I have searched high and low for a decent alignment shop. I have used two of the MD alignment shops recommended by Kevin Rutherford. One left me less-than-impressed, the other just plain sucked. I also had the truck aligned at the Sacramento 49er, where the tech there suggested heating and bending the front axle to achieve proper alignment. Um....no.

Lastly, after our most recent animal massacre, we took the truck into K&R truck in Holland, Michigan for our body work, and they use a viz-check machine for our front end inspection and alignment. They did bend the axle beam (cold). Best either of our trucks has gone down the road since we came into the business.

Last, we're seriously considering the Donvel bags......after the automatic chains, of course.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The answer to your troubles is really a simple one go invest about 20$ an get 3 recessed shoulder lug nuts have any tire place replace 3 I the lug nuts in a triangle pattern and your troubled will vanish ! Took me almost 7 years of people not knowing what to do the hubs and wheel are the pilot aligned type and are not aligning to spec if I'm right a steak dinner is in order with the money your gonna save.

Tk

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Part number sn100 common name is a skirt nut the place I got them from had lots of em on hand says it cures almost every time and he was right!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The answer to your troubles is really a simple one go invest about 20$ an get 3 recessed shoulder lug nuts have any tire place replace 3 I the lug nuts in a triangle pattern and your troubled will vanish ! Took me almost 7 years of people not knowing what to do the hubs and wheel are the pilot aligned type and are not aligning to spec if I'm right a steak dinner is in order with the money your gonna save.Tk

Hey some of us said that already,,If this is his proplem and corrects it,, the steaks are ours.You can show up for dessert..:D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Donvel
Spoke to Don today. They will be closed until Oct 10th.
They charge $40 per hour in their shop and usually take 4-5 hours for a complete install.
My front axle is $770 for parts.
The air control valving is about $120 per axle for parts.
Looks like worth a try.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Drilling the frame on a truck is no joke, so its probly worth the extra money to have them do it. Like I have said, i think they are definatly worth the money, they cut down on tire wear, your coffee cup will stay in its holder even going through i 40 in arkansas or i 5 in bakersfield. I also used to get snapped awake in the sleeper on a regular basis, since Donvel I havent been thrown in the air once.

They ought to advirtise here, cause expeditors in class 7s could really benefit from thier product. Tractors with spring front ends too. One oher thing, if you read any of my other posts, I am never thrilled with any product, so a ringing enthusiastic endorsement on this one sais alot.

piattteam

Active Expediter
New to owner/op side of trucking and, as Bob Wolf and layoutshooter can attest, we are still learning the ropes!! Now, I gotta ask, WHAT is equal that you are talking about!? Thanks.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
New to owner/op side of trucking and, as Bob Wolf and layoutshooter can attest, we are still learning the ropes!! Now, I gotta ask, WHAT is equal that you are talking about!? Thanks.

It' s a sweetener.:D:D:D

Seriously tho' it is a product that is put inside the the tire to balance it
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I am never thrilled with any product, so a ringing enthusiastic endorsement on this one sais alot.

Also will attest Donvel is a great product. Ur right about advertising. When I researched front air srpings, I thought I was going to need to go to Toronto until I stumbled on the the small ad in the back of The Trucker. Donvel is in Gladewater, TX, about 30 minutes from my home.

Mr Donvel builds and installs these and can usually get you right in. Every truck I own will have them.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Equal is a brand name for a weighted powder its also used as a genaric name for the same product that ballences your tires. Its suposed move throughout the tire to find the out of ballence spot in the tire and takes the place of wheel weights.I run 11 r 22.5 16 ply for casing durability and load rating so they tend to run a little rougher than 14 ply Nice thing is you dont have to run to the tire shop every time you nail a pothole and throw a weight and it helps a little with road vibrations.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure if you want this in your coffee though.

BTW, anybody use thi in a C van 16"wheels?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So far I think the best steer for a S/T is the biidgestone 11r22.5 RS287 A 16 ply found myself in a heavy rain last summer in the Pocono region and I had a set of used Birdgestone RS287 A 16 ply on the steers about 7/32 left and I could feel the front end hooking up as it it were dry. Definitely not a cheap tire arround $ 550.00 + a piece but Ill probably be putting a set on before the snow flies.

Deville

Not a Member
Donvel
Spoke to Don today. They will be closed until Oct 10th.
They charge $40 per hour in their shop and usually take 4-5 hours for a complete install.
My front axle is $770 for parts.
The air control valving is about $120 per axle for parts.
Looks like worth a try.

I think it's worth the money.