stolen van AND MY DOG 2 YEAR OLD YORKIT

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
While leaving a vehicle running and having it stolen happens a lot, I also know one person who dropped her keys as she was getting out of her car and then ended up well under the car. She figured she'd run in real quick, and then get all dirty climbing under the car to retrieve her keys. Unfortunately, someone beat her to it, and the security video at the store recorded it. I have also dropped my keys on the floor of a store and didn't realize it. Fortunately, someone who saw them fall alerted me immediately.

Knowing the above, and with the original poster never having given me a reason to doubt his word, I have no reason to start doubting it now, despite the fact that it is an unusual occurrence.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
One thing I have NOT believed in this whole story is little tidbit right here:

Total BS, IMO.

They left the van running outside that convienence store while they ran in for "just a minute". Story above was concocted so that insurance wouldn't deny claim, and if they knew anything about Texas laws, to not receive a ticket for it.

Yes, in Texas there is a law in place that makes it illegal to leave your vehicle running with the keys in the ignition. We actually have "sting" operations that take place where officers wearing plain clothes stand on the side of a convienence store waiting for violations such as this. Even out here in Keller, officers drive up and down residential streets around 6-7-8am during the winter looking for cars that are sitting out in driveways "warming up". If they see a cars exhaust fumes floating in the air, they will stop and see if someones in it. If not, they will ring the doorbell and issue a ticket. Makes the "TV News" every year. People just don't learn though.

While I hate to see anyone lose a pet in this manner (we'd be devastated if we lost our nieces Yorky - he's like my mothers 5th grandchild) I just do not believe the story above.

That must be a local ordnance. Never heard of it in Austin!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Brisco

Expert Expediter
That must be a local ordnance. Never heard of it in Austin!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Look up Texas Statute 545.404

Sec. 545.404. UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE.

An operator may not leave the vehicle unattended without:
(1) stopping the engine;
(2) locking the ignition;
(3) removing the key from the ignition;
(4) setting the parking brake effectively; and
(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

While I just learned tonight that this law only pertains to vehicles parked on public highways and streets, many cities have also adopted this law into their local ordinances.

Yes, AUSTIN is a city that has this LAW on their local ordinances too.

While Texas Transportation Code Section 545.404, prohibits the operator of a motor vehicle from leaving the vehicle unattended without stopping the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key from the ignition at least one Texas court has held that this section of law only applies to vehicles parked on public highways and streets. The Cities of Dallas, Austin and Arlington have also interpreted Texas Transportation Code Section 545.404 in a similar manner.

To close what may be seen as a loophole many cities have amended their city code with an ordinance making it unlawful to park and leave unattended, upon any private street, or upon any off-street public or private property used for parking and accessible to the public, a motor vehicle with the engine running or that has a key in the ignition.

Is there such law, in Texas, that would penalize for lea?

Posted From my 3 1/2 Year old Gateway Laptop Running on Windows Vista

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Oh Yeah, I forgot to add.......

The city of AUSTIN seems to be taking this LAW seriously too:

The Austin Police Department notes that unattended vehicles found with keys in the ignition can be cited with a fine typically of under $200. Officially an offense under this section is punishable by:

1. a fine not to exceed $200.00;
2. confinement in a county jail for not more than 30 days; or
3. both fine and confinement.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An unattended vehicle with the keys in the ignition, whether it's running or not, is against the law in many places, if not most places. In Kentucky it's a state law, and applies to anywhere the vehicle is left unattended, be it in the Walmart parking lot or your driveway.

"No person operating or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition and removing the key, nor allow it to stand upon any perceptible grade without effectively setting the brake and turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway. Effective:
October 1, 1942"

It's also illegal to coast downhill in neutral in Kentucky, same law (189.430 Coasting prohibited -- Unattended vehicle.)

My stepdad leaves the key in his car all the time. Or rather used to. Five or six weeks ago every unlicked car in out neighborhood got broken into and anything in them got stolen. Why they didn't take his car I dunno, 'cause the keys were in it plain as day and as the beeper that chimes when the door is opened. They didn't take anything out of his car because there wasn't anything in it, but the guy who rents the upstairs apartment lost an iPod outta his car. His keys were in the ignition, too. I bet half the cars on our street were the same.

Anyone want a good used car? Several models available. Cheap.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I find that leaving your keys in the car rather stupid and running into a store or gas station without shutting the car off lazy. Someone who does this should not even make a claim on their insurance. BUT because it is not the subject of the OP's trouble, I will leave it alone.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I find that leaving your keys in the car rather stupid and running into a store or gas station without shutting the car off lazy. Someone who does this should not even make a claim on their insurance. BUT because it is not the subject of the OP's trouble, I will leave it alone.

If you were leaving it alone I wouldn't have just read this post...:rolleyes:

Bluto1234

Seasoned Expediter
Well?

Does anyone know what the end result of this was?

Call it morbid curiosity, but there was never anything resolved? Was the van found? Was the dog found? Did OP buy a new vehicle?

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
This thread is a sad reality for ALL traveling pet owners and their pets. As ones whom have our dog on-board with us, our hearts go out to Jeff. This I believe is everyone's fear when traveling with their pet, be it a commercial vehicle, recreational vehicle, or one's car.

We, as the traveling pet owner must be our pet's protection from this very thing. But how do you protect them every second? If you are solo, you cannot be there 24/7. As a team, one can always be with the vehicle 99.9% of the time. That other .1% either the vehicle/pet must be left unatended or the pet taken with you for their protection. Not every location will allow that, so what then?

After two years of consideration on taking a dog on the road full time with us, the decision was made to get our Abby, knowing with that would come many restrictions. Although we have a fully equiped large sleeper which gives us no need to leave the truck to eat, shower, etc, it was nice to get out of the truck once in a while for dinner out. No more! If I don't cook, then one of us will go in and get dinner to go. As for shopping, we take turns leaving one of us with her all of the time. When at customers, if one of us is more than five feet from the door of our cab, it is LOCKED! I don't care if we are only steps away at our trailer loading or unloading. I TRUST NOBODY!!!

So is this extreme to be so restricted simply to have and protect an on-board pet? IMO yes! The love and intertainment Abby gives us is well worth the sacrifices as I'm sure Jeff's was. Unfortunately he did not have the luxury we do of having that second person, as is the case for so many. Was he preyed upon because of that? Was this a dog thief ring or a stolen vehicle ring (or individual) and the dog was just an innocent victim? Only the thief knows that. Thanks to the growning dog fighting industry in this country, our pets have become a highly marketable commodity for these "animals" that own and fight these dogs. To them our beloved pet is nothing more than an expendable training tool. B A S T A R D S !!!

We can only hope and pray that this is not the outcome for JJ. Sadly we are ones these "animals" see as easy targets.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I feel bad for them and do hope they find everything. When I drove and had my dog no one would come within 10ft of the truck. He was 60+ lbs of pure dog that would not hesitate to destroy anyone that came into the truck that wasn't suppose to. Liability for me? yes but my truck was safe.