sprinter

whiterrabbit

Expert Expediter
"sprinter" I am thinking about buying a sprinter . should I care if it is under dodge or freightliner badge. I am thinking about either the 2500/3500 long bed. anybody, please jump in.

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
>"sprinter" I am thinking about buying a sprinter . should I
>care if it is under dodge or freightliner badge. I am
>thinking about either the 2500/3500 long bed. anybody,
>please jump in.

I second this question. I'd rather buy from the Freightliner dealer, but besides the FL dealers having 24/7 service, is there any advantage in regards to financing, savings,etc?

Besides, I test drove a Sprinter at a Freightliner dealer ( no local Dodge dealer has one) and there was no pressure and no phone calls since two weeks ago. I like that.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don’t mean to rain on your parade, but they are the same vehicle and it only matters which dealer who you feel comfortable with.

Yes it is true that there is 24 hour service at some freightliner dealers, but I talked to a few and they said that they will not service any Dodge sprinters because the way D-C took the sprinters away from Freightliner. I was told that only a very few freightliner dealers will have 2006 models to sell, and those are the dealers who sell a lot of them.

I would highly recommend that you compare operating and purchase cost between all three makes, Ford, GM and D-C before making any decisions.

Also if you do go with a sprinter, go with a 2500 hightop. There is a 500 lb difference (if I remember right) between the 3500 and 2500 payload. The 500 lbs is really not worth the money to modify the van to take pallets.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
About a year ago the FL was several dollars more than the Dodge. We joked at the time it was for the several more letters in Freightliner. If I were doing a Sprinter I would go with the 3500 high top 158 wheelbase. The payload capacity of the 2500 is 3308 and the 3500 is 4531 so you have over 1200 pounds more capacity in the 3500 (see http://www.fl-sprinter.com/Cargo/wheel.html). You will have to get the wheelwells modified to take skids but I think it would be worth it. With the 3500 you can do quite a bit more build out to be comfortable in it and still carry the 2500 pound loads when required. It does cost more than the Ford or Chevy diesels however you also have to look at the comfort factors of stand up headroom and greater length. Good luck.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
myself i go to the dodge dealer as they are cheater and there sprinter mec has more expreience then freightliner dealer in hampton roads area and there prices are cheater to
and they also do the warranty work to had egr valve replace
and a couple of oil changes so far at the dodge dealer we have two in area one in hampton about 14 miles from house and in norfolk
about 25 miles from the house and they both different in price
hampton dealer is cheater so i go there\
like sprinter for what it is able to do with the roller in floor loose
2 inchs of so inside of 61 inchs of height have 59 and will hold 4 pallets, with the company i drive for you get paid for what you are able to do if you can haul a c load they paid you for it,
i try to leave as full as possible time is money
love short miles big bucks don't care for long miles short bucks

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Badge name means little. Go with a dealer that knows the vehicles. My Dodge dealer knows nothing about sprinters.
I got mine for the same price as a Ford e-350 diesel but the sprinter handles better when in town. High roof is better I got three 5ft 6in high skids in and hand bombed a 4th up the sides (then found out after delivery there were 5 skids but shipper forgot and no I could not tell by the paperwork). 158w/b is best for altering, but utilize as lightweight of materials as possible. 3500 as the others have said you need to raise the floor to get the full width skids past the wheel wells. I'm running a 2500 so I can get them in without doing that. I'm also utilizing a knockdown sleeping system and air bed for space saving and max loading space. Heaviest load sofar has been 2500lbs and it handled fine, keep back so you have room to stop. Currently Ihave scored a couple of loads over others due to the high roof as dispatcher loves to send me in if 3rd party customer can not give height specs for load (uses another guy as well but he has different buggy).
Good luck and have fun
Rob Fis

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For the 3500 you don't raise the floor you modify the wheelwells. There is a dealer in the east that does it. I don't recall the name right now. Raising the floor would work but isn't a good idea because you are losing some of your height advantage as well as raising the center of gravity. A 3500 can handle skids down the middle with the wheelwell mod and give a much larger capacity that way.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

brownie128

Expert Expediter
Leo: As a person who is also thinking about "jumping in", and undecided to get either the 158" high top 2500 (single wheels), or 3500 (duals, but higher load ability)You bring up the whole point of indecision of what to get. Could you expand on your point about not raising the floor, intead the modifcation is on the wheel wells. I am just curious about how the wheel wells go away, the duals wheels are still there protruding thru the floor and still in the way on the sides where a standard 4' skid needs to pass toward the front of truck, correct?. The reports on a fully loaded Sprinter in the perfect "rough" weather conditions being "squirly" brings into play
your great point about raising the center of graivity. Increased wieght vs. modifications that could lead to problems, which way to go? Your input or anybody who wants to jumb in will be appreicated.

Brownie 128

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
As far as maintenance goes, check with Dodge dealers that are members of the "Business Link" program. Only the best of the best Dodge dealers get certified as "business link" providers. As transportation professionals, a membership in the "business link" program is free, and it will move you to the front of the line when having maintenance performed at a certified Dodge dealer. It is definitely worth checking into for anyone that operates a Dodge OR Freightliner Sprinter.
- Scott

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is enough clearance between the tire and wheelwell to allow the wheelwell to be modified to ride closer to the tire. That opens up the extra inch or so needed to clear skids. Harris Truck is one who does the work, 757-874-0155. They reshape the wheelwell just enough to clear. The dual rears should give more stability. The 3500 uses 15" wheels instead of 16" on the 2500. That should help stability a little also. The much higher carrying capacity lets you build it more comfortable and still carry enough weight. I considered a Sprinter for a while and would have done the 3500 if I had gone that way. Good luck.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I read that starting in 2006 all Spinters will be made with the Dodge badge . But I just tried to verify that and it seems that report was wrong

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I read that starting in 2006 all Spinters will be made with
>the Dodge badge . But I just tried to verify that and it
>seems that report was wrong

That is what i have been told. Was talkig to the freightliner dealer in Toledo and I was told that freightliner would not be selling them, only dodge dealers. all freightliner stock will sit until sold. So i asked a freind at D-C in dealer relations and he was clear that no freightliner Sprinter will be avalible for 2006, only dodge. But Dealer relations hve been stk when managment changes thier German mind for no reason.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
The Mercedes dealer here has a few Sprinters fully badged with the mercedes emblems, has a 316 diesel eng? whats the mark-up for their markings going to be

dukesadog

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you turn commical pallet side way you are able to put 4 pallets down middle, and wing pallets do 4 and if they are alittle wider
and not to tall put 2 pallets to clear wheel wells and they will fit
biggest thing i have put on so far is one pieces 13'4" long and 2100lbs strap it to forklift and back under it and haul it on down the road

the dock worker's at egl were mad how to you think were going to get this off same way put it on strap it to forklift and drove out from it and on the out going truck

wasn't going to give up the money for the load and it was good

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A consideration of the wheel well modification should be the corrosion factor. You will have dissimilar adjoining metals (the weld metal and the wheel well metal) which will prematurely corrode.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also remember has to be done by authize shop or you will void warranty to as terry brough up have to make sure they use z bar or some type of rust prevtiner

samison4248

Expert Expediter
Dont buy the 3500 unless you want to rebuild the inside so that you can carry skids. Not enough room between the wheel wells for a 48 inch skid to be hauled. The 2500 with a 158 inch wheel base is plenty. Freightliner or Dodge are the same van. You will have the same problems with either one. Especially the EGR valves have a 2004 and the EGR has been changed 4 times. Transmissions don't hold up either. Comfortable van to drive love mine except for the high costs of repairs. $85 for a Fuel filter(change every 20,000 miles) $6,000 for a Transmission, $11,000 to have the engine rebuilt (warranty is longer is you rebuild the engine)$600 for an alternator plus labor.