SPRINTER PROBLEMS, ANYONE?

roadapple

Expert Expediter
I'M HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS W/ MY 2005 SPRINTER. ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON TK LOSES 1/3 OF THROTTLE. F/L HAS REPLACED 2 SENSORS AND THE FUEL RAIL. PROBLEM PERSISTS. I'M THINKING OFF HIRING A LEMON LAW LAWYER. AM I ALONE IN THIS? JUST LOST 4 DAYS O/S FOR TRUCK REPAIRS. BEGINING TO WONDER IF THIS TRUCK IS TOUGH ENOUGH FOR EXPEDITING.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sure does sound like a emissions issue and likely a EGR problem.
Codes from the computer should be aiding them in doing the diagnostic work.
Hopely they get you fixed and rolling!

Davekc

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I am near a Freightliner and I actuall am there often. Trust me and others, tell them to look into the EGR. I have a number of freinds there and each time I ask them why all the Sprinters are there, the answer is always EGR

Raceman
OTR O/O

towinwnc

Expert Expediter
Unless you are letting it idle alot or using a high sulfur fuel the egr shouldn't be giving any problems on a 05 it has the new style egr valve.I have a 05 with 72,000 miles the only problem I have had was a air temp sensor at 1700 miles.

tazman

Expert Expediter
You may want to re-think the lemon law...I believe it only applies to non-commercial vehicles...check with the state AG office where the truck is registered...see what they say......

Now on to your problem...check your engine grounding..."yes perhaps your not firing correctly"......

I had this happen to a recent customer...seemed weird but..hey....
It acted very similar to what you are seeing.....

Anyway...good luck..

Frank in Pa.

rball82

Expert Expediter
I have a Sprinter and have listed my problems.Over 130 days in shop 8 EGR valves, generators, turbo's etc. Anything they are telling you about EGR problems being fixed is false. I was at a dealer in Marietta Ga last week and 5 Sprinters of all years in for EGR valves. The problem with the lemon law is true for commercial vehicals. I am trying to be reimbursed for my "lemon". You can submit a claim to the district rep but have to be persistant to try to reach this person. Keep all your reciepts and date and work done on all break downs. Anyone that I can discourage on buying this vehical, or problems I have gone through , respond to this message with E-Mail address or phone #. Mark OBrien, OBrien Express Delivery :( :(

roadapple

Expert Expediter
Just an update on my earlier post. My 05 Sprinter broke down twice on a recent run from PA to SC. First time Dodgeland in Columbia, SC changed my EGR without doing much other testing. Ran fine for about 200 miles while going to p/u a load in GA. On the way back it shut down again, exact same symptoms, in Charlotte. Took it to Freightliner of Charlotte. They checked and fixed it while I waited. Found bad temp sensor and a clogged fuel filter. Haven't had a problem since (6K mi) Tech was Kenny Martin. He's supposed to be one of the best. I'll be going back to Kenny. ps. Kenny said to idle the engine over 1000rpm with the throttle stick. There's a speed-up option available that idles the engine at 2,000. That way you won't clog the EGR.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also ice 2 works to want to know will ans question of how

docmurray

Expert Expediter
Have 2004 with 87,000 miles.

Recently had problem with clogged fuel filter, check engine light came on and lost most power. Cleared with a meter (P0087 code) and would work fine until I put engine under heavy load. Found my tech hadn't done routine maintenace as Dodge recommends changing filter every 20,000 miles.

Egr valve went out at 10,000 miles.

At 60,000 miles a wiring harness wore through. Seems it was wire tied too tight to top of engine.

Now in shop with a fuel injector that blew out of engine. Took a week to get new injector and it still leaks. Am having hard time with mechanic as he claims fuel high pressure line is bent causing problems. Lets see, properly seated injector that take the pressure of compressing diesel fuel mixture to combustion being "moved" out of place by quarter inch, somewhat flexable line ?

Has anyone heard of head problems on Sprinter or anything that would change shape of injector hole?

Love the vehicle but starting to wonder if wouldn't be better with a Unicel and heaver diesel engine.