Sprinter advice...

Neuman65

Seasoned Expediter
So I am no longer considering a Nissan NV. The poor gas mileage and bed length is a big deal. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the Sprinters, but also heard there are some of them that are better than others, due to the motor. Which is the good one and what else should I look for? Keep in mind gas mileage is very important to me.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
So I am no longer considering a Nissan NV. The poor gas mileage and bed length is a big deal. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the Sprinters, but also heard there are some of them that are better than others, due to the motor. Which is the good one and what else should I look for? Keep in mind gas mileage is very important to me.

Fuel millage is is just one part from the expenses...Wait for the new Ford. Will have a V6 engine it.Also a diesel engine.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now, there's not a lot of good Sprinter advice. The only really good years seem to be '05, '06 and '07. Before then they had "teething troubles", after that EPA pollution equipment and a larger engine which needs more fuel have conspired to kill it. About the "good years"-- Turtle and OVM don't like this bandied about much, but by now those vans are getting a little long in the tooth, and parts availability-- always a problem for these vans-- will get harder as they age. After a vehicle hits the ten-year mark, you have to know somebody who knows somebody to get some parts. Around my neck of the woods, Village Auto Parts (a scrap yard, just so's you know) is the only place to get some stuff for older vehicles. Get used to the notion, if you're driving an older vehicle boneyard parts are the only source.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now, there's not a lot of good Sprinter advice. The only really good years seem to be '05, '06 and '07. Before then they had "teething troubles", after that EPA pollution equipment and a larger engine which needs more fuel have conspired to kill it. About the "good years"-- Turtle and OVM don't like this bandied about much, but by now those vans are getting a little long in the tooth, and parts availability-- always a problem for these vans-- will get harder as they age. After a vehicle hits the ten-year mark, you have to know somebody who knows somebody to get some parts. Around my neck of the woods, Village Auto Parts (a scrap yard, just so's you know) is the only place to get some stuff for older vehicles. Get used to the notion, if you're driving an older vehicle boneyard parts are the only source.

Yes scratch 07 off that list...1st yr of the new 6 cyl. And we are not deaf, dumb and blind to parts availability in the future...I've never had a problem getting parts for this 05...always next day delivered.....Good thing we don't need many parts....LOL

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sprinter advice. Either find, read, and follow all the advice from ebsprintin and a few others on these forums as to the proper care, feeding and maintenance of a Sprinter or stay far far away from them.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FYI if fuel consumption is most important to you wait for the new OM651 coming later this year. 33MPG. It's a dual turbo 4 cylinder diesel around 160 hp around same hp as the t1n (03-06) sprinter.

If you need further sprinter information log on to sprintersource.com that will be your best information online.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
FYI if fuel consumption is most important to you wait for the new OM651 coming later this year. 33MPG. It's a dual turbo 4 cylinder diesel around 160 hp around same hp as the t1n (03-06) sprinter.

I call BULL****! its impossible to get 33 MPG in a delivery van that has 6' high interior height and is driven @ 65 MPH or so. The new Transit will get 26 MPG on diesel and 21 on gas. The new Splinter will do no better if its the same size & capacity.

I suspect you are a Splinter dealer hoping the Fiat & Ford don't KILL your sales...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I call BULL****! its impossible to get 33 MPG in a delivery van that has 6' high interior height and is driven @ 65 MPH or so. The new Transit will get 26 MPG on diesel and 21 on gas. The new Splinter will do no better if its the same size & capacity.

I suspect you are a Splinter dealer hoping the Fiat & Ford don't KILL your sales...

No one said its the high model? The short, low ...old 5 cyl. Do over 30 mpg now
I highly doubt the BIG Ford will see 26 mpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
No one said its the high model? The short, low ...old 5 cyl. Do over 30 mpg now
I highly doubt the BIG Ford will see 26 mpg

I know you love the good old Splinter. I have a 2006 too. My Splinter gets 22 MPG @ 65 MPH. No joke. That's what they get on average, less when loaded heavier.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got enough Missouri background to have to see it to believe it. I do believe with the right driving style a 144" low roof Sprinter could get upper 20's. I think the new Transit gasoline could do low 20's for the right driver. I'll have to see the proof of 3x's no matter which vehicle.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Our 2006 averaged around 22. There were time while driving in the right conditions, that we did get as high as 28 a few times.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2