Some travel tips

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Here are a few ideas I want to pass along on how to improve on life on the road. I am sure there are many great ideas among the expediting family that you may want to add. Here goes.

1. Buy some document clips, they are three sided clips with two spring handles, from Walmart. They come in assorted sizes and are great for closing chip bags, put one on the seat belt if it is too tight, put velcro on the back of a few and on the ceiling to hold a curtain, good for paper clips (obviously), they make great clothes pins, etc.

2. If you travel with a pet the only two motel chains that do not charge extra is Red Roof and Motel 6. If there is another I would like to know it. Also use a National Logistics CP number at Red Roof and save about $15.00

3. Freeze a milk jug of water when at home and place it in cooler when you leave. It lasts longer than bagged ice and when it melts you still have clean water.

4. You can't beat baby wipes for cleaning hands, public toilets, yourself, the dash, checking oil when they are dried out, diesel fuel pump handles, and a million other things.

5. Save Com Data charges by moving your money into a debit card and buy from it. If you can only move it once or twice a month.

6. A cloth power tool bag makes a great suit case.

7. Get yourself a window squeegee with a 3 Ft. handle to clean your windshield as most stations only have short handle squeegees. I store mine on the inside of the rear door. You can clean your windshield anytime by raising the wiper blades and activating the windshield washer.

More to come and I look forward to your ideas. Perhaps this would make a good stand alone forum section.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
7. Get yourself a window squeegee with a 3 Ft. handle to clean your windshield as most stations only have short handle squeegees. I store mine on the inside of the rear door. You can clean your windshield anytime by raising the wiper blades and activating the windshield washer.

Good suggestions. This one won't work on my van as the washers are on the wiper arms not on the hood like yours.

7a. A squeegee with no handle is convenient for taking the condensation off the windows and mirrors early in the morning. I keep one under the driver's seat along with my fueling gloves and a whisk broom.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
If you travel with a pet the only two motel chains that do not charge extra is Red Roof and Motel 6. If there is another I would like to know it.

Thanks for the warning regarding those two chains. I'd be hard pressed to stay in either even without knowing their policy regarding pets. I always try to avoid any joints that encourage pets

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Additional sugggestion:
8. Easy Pass is accepted in most states from Ill. eastward however you only get a discount in the state you buy it through. I choose Ohio because of frequency.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I signed up for Easy Pass at the Expo about 3 years ago. I get a discount in both PA and NY. I think it was some sort of show special. I don't use it often but for 50 cents a month plus usage it's well worth it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Don't know if this is good through out the country but in the SE a WalMart debit card will get you 10c off a gallon of gas and also 10% discount in the store.