smoke removal

blucolr

Expert Expediter
Getting ready to give the truck a good cleaning ( the temp. is actually above freezing! ). What is the best, and easiest way to remove the diesel exhaust residue from the white cargo box. Many thanks and Merry Christmas to all!
Mike

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Bug & tar remover will work. Test in a small location to ensure no discoloration. Wax afterwords.
If a stronger item is needed, they make a remover by 3M. Expensive but it works. Available at most autobody supply stores.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
This may sound a little strange but try using some hand cleaner such as Go-Joe, do a test area first! I've used it to clean off road tar and it worked great then just wash it off with soap and water to remove any excess hand cleaner,also works good on prespotting oil and grease stains on clothing.

Hope this helps out some!

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don't know if it will work or not, I have used WD40 for many things, grease removal, tar removal, unknown spots etc, residue from removed decals etc. May want to give it a try, nothing lost.

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
We use Oil Eater this stuff was found at the local racetrack. I now get it from a local racecar shop. Man spray it on with the surface wet and you might have to wipe with a brush but may not this stuff works. Also a product called Roll Off get it at marine stores, this is great stuff to.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Metal Brightner or a Acid purchased at a quality cleaning supply company (Janitorial) Dillute one part acid to 5 parts water, apply with a brush on a cool day (do not do this above 80F) rinse immidiatly two people preferable. (automotive car wash brush on a pole)

Should not strip any wax (my expirence) and removes EVERYTHING from bug juice to road tar without any scrubbing. Be prepared for small spills or splash wear long sleeves, sun glasses, and rubber gloves since it is dilluted it will not burn imm so rinse and wipe your face often even if you do not feel any on you.

My truck looks great and its the only thing that removes an entire summer of bug guts and juice of running through Texas in oh mid July.

One word of caution if you get it on Alum be prepared to polish otherwise cover it, I prefere to soak all Alum and polish from step one up and it gives the tanks and Alum a brilliant shine afte its been acid washed also you can acid the tanks in the winter and not worry about buffing.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
OK GUYS, Don't Laugh to hard. This has always been a joke around My Car group of friends. But believe me it works on evrything we have ever tried. If you read up on this product, you will find that it indeed has a 1001 uses. Are you ready for this?
SKIN SO SOFT. Yes the stuff your wife uses for her hands and body will do wonders. Give it a try, I'm sure your wife has some.
Good Luck Butch..;) ;) ;)

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
SKIN SO SOFT..........is a real good insect repellant too!

Just thought I'd throw that in for good measure:D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Skin so Soft? Now that is a new one. Will have to try it.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

raceman

Veteran Expediter
He is right. Skin so Soft works on about anything. I too learned about this from a classic car owner. I will say you can never get paint to stick over it though. You will have to strip it if you ever want to touch that area up.

You now know why I call my truck "she". She always looks good because of Skin so Soft. Ha

Raceman
OTR O/O

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
OK Flame but how does not apply this. I can wash this entire truck with my solution in one hour or less including engine and lower frame.

Polishing the entire truck takes an entire day (TOMMOROW) Daughter has a boyfriend actually (hundreds) but this kid is the only one who knows how to work. Me and this young man can probably do it in half a day.