Semi-Retired and looking to fit in somewhere

SunnyJoe

Seasoned Expediter
Howdy!
I'm 50, newly retired, collecting a monthly pension with health care, no kids at home, got my Class-A CDL with HazMat and Tankers endorsements, Trainco Truck Driving School Grad, and 3 years of local straight truck experience but that was a long time ago. I've spent the last 7 years as a yard switcher for one of the Detroit 3, so I've talked to quite a few expediters, LTL'ers and long-haul truckers. By the way, in my opinion, truck drivers are some of the happiest folks on the planet - all things considered.
Now, I don't need a million dollars, just a reasonable amount of money to justify my time on the road. I'd like to gross $25,000. before taxes and personal living expenses on the road. That may net me $15,000. Hey, if I can make more some day in the future, then great, but I know with GM and Chrysler going down for the next 8 weeks or so, everybody is hoping to just be in business come August. I've got my eyes open.

However, having said all that(sorry for writing a book), I'd really like to fit into the expediting business somewhere. I think it would suit my lifestyle. I'm not crazy about the idea of driving a tractor-trailer, but I will if I have to. Like a lot of people, I'd like to be home as often as possible, but I realize that that's probably not going to be the case. I don't mind running, trying to beat the clock, or for that matter just sitting for awhile works too. I'm easy. I'm located near Detroit Metro Airport / Romulus MI. Can anyone give me some insight into what the best approach would be at this point. I'm going to take a guess and say that it probably would be best to try and drive a straight truck for a fleet owner. This would allow me to get to know the business without having to make a truck payment. But, which company makes the most sense? I'm a stone's throw from Express-1, Bolt Express, On-Time Express, etc., and I've got a couple lines in the water with possibilities of driving for FedEx CC and Panther. I have heard that FedEx CC only depends on automotive for less than 10% of their business, and that Panther is much more dependent on automotive than that. Is this true? Aside from the obvious, why should this be the determining factor in which company to work for?

Where can a guy spend the next 10 years, make a few bucks, and not get messed around?
Oh yeah, and I definitely want to drive SOLO.

Thanks for any and all advice! I'm just getting started, so be gentle. Ha-Ha!

ps. Yeah, I know it's the End of the World right now, but try to think positively. THANKS!!!

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
SunnyJoe your first obstacle I see is you are going to be running solo. Before you jump talk to as many people as you can with each company that are solo drivers to see how each company is structured. Most of the bigger companies are structured towards teams and the solo person struggles.

If you read through many of the back posts you will be able to pick out several solo guys that are with different companies and some that are independents that I think can give you the best advice. Read and ask a lot of questions before you jump into this experience!

I wish you lots of luck as it can be a lot of fun out here!

SunnyJoe

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks TeamCaffee. You've given me something to work with. I'll go ahead and search for solo drivers versus teams, and see where that takes me. I just don't want to get locked-in to something that I can't get out of - be it a contract or truck note.

Now, here's a hypothetical: Let's say that I've been offered a chance to drive a fleet owner's Class 8 straight truck for Panther, but I won't meet this owner for a few days. It looks like he's amenable to me driving solo, and he's offering my choice of a 60/40 split where I pay the fuel and tolls, or a 40/60 split where he pays the fuel and tolls. Either way, he'll cover maintenance and repairs.

Would you say that that would be a reasonable thing to do at this point, given my lack of expediting experience? And will I have to sign-up for a certain number of months upfront, or else be penalized in some way? What is the standard contract between an owner and driver with Panther? With other companies?

Which way would you recommend that I go, 60/40 or 40/60? He gave the impression in our brief initial contact that the 60/40 deal would give me more options to get home when I wanted - at my expense of course.

Generally speaking, do you think a solo driver in a Class 8 can make a go of it right now? In the future? Is this as good of an opportunity to learn the business as any other? Remember, I'm just trying to supplement my retirement income. $25,000./year gross would be just fine.

Here's another one for you. Let's take this thing to the next level, and say that I get a handle on this expediting business and it suits me. Given that I only need X number of dollars to succeed:
Can I make it work in a Sprinter as a solo driver? Should I be thinking about spending $20,000 to $30,000 on a good used Sprinter(This is using the 1 year's salary formula), OR
Should I be thinking more in terms of spending $50,000 or $60,000 on a 3 or 4 year old Class 8 with sleeper, and driving that for the second half of it's life cycle?
With 10% down, how much truck can I afford if I want to keep my payment to something around $1,000?
And of course, which expediting company would make a good match for either of the two scenarios given above?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Being retired myself I like driving a Sprinter or cargo van, I like it because it allows me to come home more often. Its not to hard to clear 15,000$ driving a sprinter or van Well, at least when things are a little more busy

Last edited:

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I am a solo driver. I will have no trouble exceding $25000 this year (at the present flow of freight). I too am retired, driving my own truck the way I want to drive, where I want to drive and when I want to drive. I may be lucky in having a gentlemens agreement with my leasor, but he is honest and so am I. He calls and makes offer. I accept or decline. Of course, right now, I am not declining anything. But overall, you can do what you want to do. Me, myself and I, personally don't see what all the hoopla about team vs solo is all about. There is a need for both. My opinion is the big companies see an advantage in their favor if they get all teams. That is where I come in. I run independent and can pick and choose from all of the big ones. Or, my leasor(broker) can. So why would I want to be tied to a company who doesn't want me to start with? Same thing going on with the van guys. Vans vs ST. Same scenario. There is a need for both. Decide what you want and how you want to do it. Then go for it. Only you can make it happen. Driving for someone else to get your feet wet is a good idea though. That way, you will know what it is like and you will have a good idea whether you want to buy your own truck or stay with someone else.

Good luck in your endeavors!

SunnyJoe

Seasoned Expediter
Thank You VERY much, Oilerman1957 and bluejaybee! That was very encouraging, and exactly what I needed to hear right now. I'm going to take you guys up on your great advice and give the business a try by driving for someone else if possible, and then make an educated decision on whether to stay on as a driver, or invest in my own equipment. I know it won't be easy, but I'll have my eyes open and try to stay realistic.

Thanks Again!

DougTravels

Not a Member
Hey Joe:
You would definitely be smart to drive for an owner first. If you end up hating it you can cut loose easier. Good Luck.

termite289

Expert Expediter
trying to figure out how to cut mine. no choice i suppose but to drive it another year or two, then burn it.

safetyman

Seasoned Expediter
Okay Guys, Some very good advice. I would say a van is good for the retired if you have another income as well. But right now with the way things are with freight in this country and until expedited freight gets back to were it was a few years ago, I would stick with the tractor trailer. Rates such and sometimes heavy but at least with the right company they are moving. I have seen rates with the company I'm driving for as low as .90 but as good as 1.45. Just watch out for the recruiters because you can tell the ones that something about trucking and the one that don't. Most haven't every owned a truck or drove one and are paid only if you lease on with there company. Panther has way too many trucks for the freight and Fedex the same. I would stick with one of the smaller guys and someone that hasn't been doing some much with the big three because those are the expedited companys that are going to die. I would say drive for a fleet owner but then they are hurting so bad right now. The only way to make it in this business right now is to own a truck, one with little overhead and drive it yourself.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Okay Guys, Some very good advice. I would say a van is good for the retired if you have another income as well. But right now with the way things are with freight in this country and until expedited freight gets back to were it was a few years ago, I would stick with the tractor trailer. Rates such and sometimes heavy but at least with the right company they are moving. I have seen rates with the company I'm driving for as low as .90 but as good as 1.45. Just watch out for the recruiters because you can tell the ones that something about trucking and the one that don't. Most haven't every owned a truck or drove one and are paid only if you lease on with there company. Panther has way too many trucks for the freight and Fedex the same. I would stick with one of the smaller guys and someone that hasn't been doing some much with the big three because those are the expedited companys that are going to die. I would say drive for a fleet owner but then they are hurting so bad right now. The only way to make it in this business right now is to own a truck, one with little overhead and drive it yourself.

I believe I would have a different opinion on this. I am thinking you have very limited exposure based on what you posted.

I don't know if both Panther and Fedex have too many trucks or not? I know we are running pretty steady, but are behind just a little from last year, so no horror stories up to this point.
I don't believe either does much with the auto industry as they have in the past. It is just the opposite. The majority of the smaller carriers do more automotive than your examples.
Lastly, I think you are making a large assumption that ALL fleet owners are hurting. Some are, but there are some that are making out ok even in a turbulent economy.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter

HUH???

"A van is good, I would stick with the tractor trailer, I would drive for a fleet owner, but the only way to make it is to own a truck".

Okay. I believe this covered all the scenarios. Now you can make a decision for sure.

Right???? Hehehe!

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would think, in this business or any other you need to be honest, with what ever you Fleet owner you decide to drive for. Which would include honoring the contract between your self & the Fleet owner. As in having some kind of understanding, that if your unhappy you just don't park his rig and grab the first Greyhound you see.

SunnyJoe

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Guys! Good Stuff All. I'll leave the names out of it, just in case it all goes to hell in a handbasket and we all end up living off the land. Ha, Ha. I get the idea that if you're not looking to make a fortune right now, and if you're willing to make an honest commitment to the business, that a Sprinter driver or owner or a Straight Truck driver or owner could make it happen, at least on a limited basis right now. And, from what I've been told by some of you and FedEx and Panther recruiters is that both companies have separated themselves from the automotive business enough that things are pretty steady - even now, with the economy in the tank.
Here's what I pulled out of this so far:

"SunnyJoe, your first obstacle I see is you are going to be running solo.If you read through many of the back posts you will be able to pick out several solo guys that are with different companies and some that are independents that I think can give you the best advice.I wish you lots of luck as it can be a lot of fun out here!"

"Being retired myself I like driving a Sprinter or cargo van, I like it because it allows me to come home more often. It's not too hard to clear $15,000 driving a sprinter or van, well, at least when things are a little more busy."

"I am a solo driver. I will have no trouble exceding $25,000 this year (at the present flow of freight). I too am retired, driving my own truck the way I want to drive, where I want to drive and when I want to drive. Of course, right now, I am not declining anything. But overall, you can do what you want to do. Me, myself and I, personally don't see what all the hoopla about team vs solo is all about.There is a need for both. My opinion is the big companies see an advantage in their favor if they get all teams. That is where I come in. I run independent and can pick and choose from all of the big ones. Or, my leasor(broker) can. So why would I want to be tied to a company who doesn't want me to start with? Same thing going on with the van guys. Vans vs Straight Truck. Same scenario. There is a need for both. Decide what you want and how you want to do it. Then go for it. Only you can make it happen. Driving for someone else to get your feet wet is a good idea though. That way, you will know what it is like and you will have a good idea whether you want to buy your own truck or stay with someone else.
Good luck in your endeavors!"

"You would definitely be smart to drive for an owner first. If you end up hating it you can cut loose easier. Good Luck."

"Okay Guys, some very good advice. I would say a van is good for the retired if you have another income as well."

"I don't know if both Panther and Fedex have too many trucks or not? I know we are running pretty steady, but are behind just a little from last year, so no horror stories up to this point.
I don't believe either does much with the auto industry as they have in the past. It is just the opposite. The majority of the smaller carriers do more automotive than your examples.
Lastly, I think you are making a large assumption that ALL fleet owners are hurting. Some are, but there are some that are making out ok even in a turbulent economy."

"I would think, in this business or any other you need to be honest, with what ever you Fleet owner you decide to drive for. Which would include honoring the contract between your self & the Fleet owner. As in having some kind of understanding, that if your unhappy you just don't park his rig and grab the first Greyhound you see."

Keep On Truckin' Guys!

SunnyJoe

yaaintdeadyet

Expert Expediter
Hello Joe, wadda ya know? It's been a month to the day since your last post. What decision have you made? I'm in much the same stance you've described. Granted I'm in the southwest, supposedly an even less fluid expedite freight lane than most areas of the country. Just bein' nosey.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm semi retarded/semi retired/ retired from semis. Take your pick. I qualify for all three categories.

I have been driving a cargo van for 12+ years and doing mediocre. The first 8 years were great. High rates and good tax breaks. Now I am running at much lower rates but still getting decent tax advantages and having fun!

I have adapted to the van life style; scrapes on my head (I'm bald), a Quasimodo shuffle and sore knees. Hey, it beats a real job!

A cargo van is a cheap investment into the wonderful world of expediting. If things don't work out you can always sell your van to a tradesperson. I sold my last van to a HVAC dude.

Good luck and if you are in need of some serious confusion, feel free to send me a private message.

Oh yeah! Ban the van.