Saturdays and Rest Areas

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Could not help but wonder. Pulled into first WI rest area on I-90, where are the parents to these kids running around in the Truck only section.

They were all enjoying a Pic Nic, since they were pulling campers why not park with the Big Rigs right. Makes sense to me Johny and Mary can get a close up look. First of all there was ample parking in the car lot and section for small trailers, but no lets park where they are at the 18 wheelers.

We C, D, and especially E units HAVE to go back there but they 4 wheelers are not cited like we would be if we parked up there. Now I understand why (clearly why we do not mix) children. This aint no play ground, but if we hit one of these unsupervised children or if they got hurt playing around our vehicles it would be big.

So on Saturdays in the summer months pull to the farthest spot away not the first ones as the Pic Nic'ers park in the middle. I parked as one of the first and than proceded in the front of all of the trucks 4 and about 6 campers when I noticed all these kids. (not something I am use to seeing in rest areas) Just be carefull parents have lost all common sense and this is a great example of Johny go play on the Expressway.

I know they are excited to be on vacation and good for them but common sense has been lost with parents almost as much as Ill with trucks. (since I just got to read in Land line)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Broom
ok here is one for you.

About 15 years ago I was on the road driving between Boonton NJ and Chattanooga TN and I stopped somewhere in Virginia to rest and eat.

As I am sitting there, I watch two families pull in and park their campers in front of me. About ten kids got out and raised all kinds of he** and havoc with everyone around us. No parents to be found anywhere, they decided to catch some sleep in the campers.

I listened to four of the kids, the younger of the kids that is, deciding to explore the woods and watched as they headed off. These kids were maybe 8 to 10. I decided to go and tell their parents (the concerned person I am) about their children’s escape. I knocked on the door and told one parent where the kids were going and got a ‘F*** off’.

Needless to say an elderly lady who also watched the kids walk away called the police before I got back to my truck. The officer came quickly, I don’t know what she said but it had to be good for the quick response. I ended up telling the officer what I saw and what I was told by the parent. He wasn’t messing around with the parents, he didn’t knock on the door, he practically ripped the door off the hinges of the camper, went in and told the parents in the camper to get out and find their kids. he told the other parents to round up the kids put them in the camper and wait for him to get back.

What happened after; the kids ended up missing for 36 hours, they went to a farm that bordered the rest stop and hide in the barn. The parents were ticketed and the officer, in good faith made sure that they stayed in the local hotel to see the judge Monday morning.