Rules for Dispatchers

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I know that a few dispatchers and other company employees peruse this site and a few pick up on some of the things we say but after meeting a fellow EO member yesterday and discussing a really touchy subject for some of us (last item in the list), I decided to post what I think are some rules all dispatchers, department managers and contract coordinators should live by.

These are not in the order I would like them or refined as I would like – there is overlap in many of the rules with others rules in the list. I will work on the some other time but the inspiration should be clear to all.

#1. The driver is more important than you are; they are second in the line of importance behind the customer and make money for the company you work that provides you your job. Do not forget how important that the driver is for you, without them you do not have a job.

#2. Assumptions are dangerous. If you have a habit of assuming things without asking questions, you are a fool and will not last in any job. Always ask questions and wait for answers before making any comments or decisions.

#3. Remember you do not know everything. Never think that you do and never think that a driver knows nothing. Some of the drivers you talk to may have been driving professionally a lot longer than you have been alive.

#4. Communications is the key to a better working relationship for all and is critical for good customer service. If you have a problem with something or have to tell a driver something bad, do not hesitate. Be honest, be forthright and be clear. Do not rush the conversation, make sure that the driver understands and let him or her a chance to ask questions before ending the conversation.

#5. If you make promises – keep them. If you know you can’t deliver a promise, don’t make promises. Never make a promise to shut someone up; this is a bad strategy that will come back on you. If you make a promise you can’t keep due to something out of your control or say something that is wrong and you find out what is correct, be honest about it, contact and tell the driver – don’t let the driver hang with false or improper information. If you are ever called on something you said, don’t lie and say you didn’t say it, it damages your credibility with the drivers and your superiors.

#6. When dealing with customer complaints, do not assume that the driver is wrong or that you know the entire story to pass judgment, there are always two sides to a story and many times the customer is not always right or communicates the issue from only what they think or heard from someone else. The best thing is to stay neutral, talk to everyone involved and ask questions.

#7. If you receive hostile comments from either a driver or a customer, do not take the comments personal even if you have created a situation to trigger hostile comments. This is a business for you but it is sometimes personal for the driver; it is not personal unless you make it personal and being calm is your best defense.

#8. Remember that the driver is not a child, do not treat him or her as a child and do not try to be a parent, this insults them. Remember that telling the driver how to drive, how to deliver or pick up a load is not your job, as much as the driver telling you how to dispatch is not theirs.

#9. Remember that this is the driver’s career and business. While you receive a paycheck for the work you do by the hour you still can go home nightly but you may not be working in this industry in a week, month or a year from now – the driver may be here for several years doing the same thing. The driver lives in his or her truck and works practically 24 hours a day for the money they receive.

#10. Be patient and understanding, you have it much easier, the driver does not and you should understand and respect that his or her work world is more dangerous and stressful than yours will ever be, even at your worst moments.

#11. Remember when a driver is describing a problem or situation to you, do not assume that this is something that you have run across before. Listen to the driver carefully and take notes especially if the problem may escalate to a superior or another department.

#12. Never hang up on a driver or a customer. For some drivers and customers this is not only insulting but something that is very personally which may led to you being fired or you put in a very bad situations later on. It is best to follow general etiquette and end the conversation properly regardless what the driver or customer is saying or has said to you.

Note that these are also posted on my website so if your company is going to print them use them or use them in training material or modify them for any purpose, they are copyrighted and I would appreciate contacting me for permission to use them. Sorry about the legal disclaimer.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I wish this was a perfect world and we had robots as dispatchers religiously following every single one of these rules listed and if there is a glitch or malfunction they explode and another robot picks up the phone.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Uh Oh sounds like Greg had a experience that is best left untold. My sympathies,we have all been there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It was last year this time when I got hung up on, last time for that.

I just wanted to post something during the time I am waiting for a load.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i always liked it when you wait on hold for 5 to 10 mins. for dispatch then when you finally get thru to ask your question the dispatcher says ask it on the qc and slam down the phone. my other favorite thing was when dispatch would ask you could you hold. when i said no all the sudden they were on hold with a customer on a multi-million dollar account. the thing that gets me about that is why did you put the multi-million dollar customer on hold in the first place?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wish they would hang up on me more often. Last week or the week before I was on hold for 38 minutes before someone talked to me. I turned on the speaker phone and played with computer while the recording played over and over and over. They had been in a meeting and nobody was answering phones.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Hey Greg:You were lucky you were just hung up on.I was screamed at like a little child.And called a liar 3 times.And this was by the owner of the company who will go unmentioned.Until i get ahold of the Michigan State Police and inform them of how this owner of the company taught us how to hide drugs in the truck,without the dogs being able to detect them.
Mike
Whitewolf 53
HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I really wish I could go into consulting for customer service, how to dispatch properly and how to treat drivers, but I don't have patients for stupid people and would make fun of many of them. I would not do this a week in the passenger seat talking on the phone thing, it would be 3 weeks to a month out on the road working.

Moot
Being in a meeting and not answering the phone is a managment problem and the manager or supervisor should be replaced - there are a lot of people being laid off by big companies that can handle the job.

Mike
I would go a step further I would ask the state police to inspect the truck to see if there is any drugs (or residue) in the truck because you are concerned about planted drugs and the truck used for transporting drugs without your knowledge. Many troopers will welcome the chance to tear the truck apart and check it out. I know that many will worry about getting arrested but I would think that the police would side with you and the truck (if drugs are found) would either be taken or left in pieces. Either way, it is good to cover yourself and help stop this owner.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We feel after being with a large over the road company that our dispatchers are the cream of the crop for the most part. We have had a few give us really wrong information and a very few actually be rude never have we been hung up on or screamed at. We are very seldom left on hold unless we are calling our Contract Coordinator. Overall I would give them a rating of a 9.9 for being there when we need them and not driving us nuts when we dont need them. We have a Contract Coordinator but have actualy found that if you need any information more then likely the dispatcher will go out of their way to help you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I completely agree with you TeamCaffee.

The only problem I have had was the last item on the list but I wrote the rules from experience from other jobs. I find that many complaints I have heard from other company drivers are represented here and think that some things are unexcusable and is unprofessional.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Good luck on this one Greg.

My previous carrier, for the most part they were good. One case thought, I was asked to wait on dock (hazmat load) and they would call back. Well an hour later, no Call and guy who promised me the call went home, leaving me sitting there and having to explaine the entire situation HE GOT ME INTO all over again.

Now my current carrier, these are the best of the best PERIOD... If there is freight to be found, they will find it! And work me thru it. Never kept on HOLD, if not professional, than we are teasing back and forth, but if its busy get to the business at hand.

This current Carrier, would never, ever, leave a driver hanging in a situation like that. And I may add have always helped me thru a bad or messed up situation. If its there fault, they also pay up do not expect the driver to loose $ cause a customer dropped the ball.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Greg:It was not the owner of the truck.It was the owner of the expeditating company.He taught us this during orientation.I could not believe it.But the Michigan State Police have been informed about this clown.And i guess we will just have to see how far they go in putting him out of business.I could not believe that this moron was screaming at me for an early delivery.And i wasn't even driving the truck,my co-driver was.
Mike
Whitewolf53
HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Mike, Opps... Sorry.. At the time I was distracted between a few things going on in front of me.

are12

Expert Expediter
Mike,

Can't help but ask, what would possess you to even go to work for a company that shows you how to hide drugs in a truck?

horseman

Expert Expediter
Usually dont post messages but I recognize whitewolf 53 and simply feel compeled to reassure everyone that there are not company owners that teach how to hide drugs as part of orientation!
Mike (whitewolf)is talking about me. My name is Jerry Stewart and I own TranStewart Trucking. I do understand why Mike was reluctant to identify me in his origional message. He is not telling the truth and does not want to be called out.
I am also a deputy sheriff in my county. I was during this orientation describing a training exercise that I designed for my dept. This came about because another driver in the same orientation jokingly asked if I intended to search everyones truck. Anyway the result of the story was to demonstrate the effiency of the k9 units and how it is nearly impossible to render contraband as undetectable.
Also, Mike has accused me of screaming at him for being early for a delivery. Simply not true. The conversation was a calm explanation of company policy with regard to early deliveries which he violated. Since he did not comply with the policy as it was origionaly explained to him, I assumed hi did not understand hence my call. He got beligerant with me and somhow became offended and hung up on me.
Later that day, he imformed the owner of the truck that I screamed at him and called him a g.d. liar. When his co driver would n0t back up his story the owner fired him
Sorry my response had to be negative.

Be Careful,
Jerry

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know transtewart and mr. jerry he wouldn't do anything like teaching drivers to hide and haul drugs. mr. jerry is upfront,honest,and first class. if i could get a truck and get the doc to let me drive i would lease on with transtewart. by the way mr. jerry it's joe.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Why is that dispatch messes up more when its slow.It seems to me that it should be the other way around.I can understand messing up when their under pressure but thats when my dispatcher seem to be at their best.I wonder if POGO is to blame.