rooftop ac smell

greg334

Veteran Expediter
All kidding aside, take it to camperworld or an RV dealer who is an authorized dealer for that brand of A/C unit and have them open the unit up, see if the water drains on the evaporator catch basin are plugged and have them properly clean the evaporator and other parts with a bleach solution. IF you run it and it has mold or bacterial growing on the evaporator, it can cause some serious health problems, especially in a closed environment like a sleeper.

Don't try to clean it yourself or spray anything into it.

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
try a product called zyme away. Its what they use after floods to get rid of mold and mildew. it will kill it and leave a fresh smell. and is 100% safe to use. we use it at home in the kitchen also because it kills bacteria and salmonella.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The problem with using something that you "spray" inside the unit is that the evaporator is enclosed in its own housing..that is under the unit cover...the evaporator "sweats" water (condesation) as it cools that water collects in the housing ..there are drains that will plug up or I have even seen them not open from the factory as brand new...

The air passes over the evaporator and is cooled it is then drawn into the air box amd blown into the vents and out..

The only way to get to evaporator to completely clean it is to open the housing it is in....yes you could spray a cleaner in the "intake" side of the unit, but that is not going to clean it in a way that will do t right and make sure that any mildew is gone...as I said, "legionaire disease" comes to mind, it started in the SC units in hotels...and asgreg pointed out, breathing air with mildew spores in it can have serious health affect...

Forget sprays, go get it taken apart and clean the evaporator and the housing.....if you can take it apart yourself, then get a product used by commerical ac people....

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We have a new truck with a new rooftop ac like the rvs. Has anyone ever experienced a smell from theirs? Best I can describe it is that it smells similar to what cat spray smells like, lol. We see water drain from the holes on the side of the roof, so I'm not sure if this is some kind of water or what. Cleaned the inside...wasn't even dirty and sprayed with lysol. It's so gross. Anyone else know about this???

The new machines are so much fun these days. Maybe, jes go git the old one till they fix that one.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey it works for the Amish.

horseUntitled-1-300x214.jpg